Farmer is Awful

Marty34

I've been listening to MLB games via Gameday audio for the last couple of weeks and I forgot how good baseball is on radio. I forgot because Ed Farmer is brutal. He's not a radio guy, he can't paint a picture. I've found the best radio broadcasts consist of one broadcaster at a time and don't do the give and take that Farmer and DJ do. DJ is at least tolerable, but probably better suited for TV. I wish the Sox had a radio broadcaster calling their games instead of Farmer.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Time to Move Rios"

"Wrapping Up April-Tough Start for Rebuild Crowd"

"Closing Time -Hector Isn't Cutting It - Who Will?"

"Viciedo Not Worth The Wait"

"Farmer is Awful"

"KW: Stay Out of White Sox Minor League Business"

You are one crabby dude.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
"Time to Move Rios"

"Farmer is Awful"

You are one crabby dude.

Have you ever known a Sox fan who was not crabby?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
Exclusively? Absolutely.

As an out-of-town Sox fan I think it is easier to stay positive and form my own opinions of the moves the team decides to make or not make. When I did live near Chicago and listened to talk radio a lot it seems like you get sucked in to other people's opinions on what should or shouldn't be done.

Honestly, I loved the moves they made all offseason by lowering payroll and keeping a competitive product on the field. The only thing that hurt was not resigning Buehrle, which was the right move, but hurt because he was my favorite player. It is hilarious to come on here daily and see what certain people post and how it is the same stuff in every single post they make. Baseball is a long season. It's dumb to form a new opinion every single week on a different move the team should make based on how a player performs that week.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ May 3, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
I liked him as a color guy with Rooney. Not play by play. Tries too hard to be "quippish"

Right. The game seems secondary to Ed's comedy act. Not necessarily a bad thing if, you know, he were funny or even interesting.

Farmer's not bad...he's not the worst either.

He's not in the same category as Jon Miller with the Giants or Vin Scully or Rooney. I even enjoy listening to Dave Wills doing the Rays' broadcasts.

The most annoying ones are the Yankees broadcasters, but what do you expect? Guess most people around baseball have the same feeling about Harrelson.

As an aside, my college RA (Brett Dolan) has been doing the Astros' games with Milo Hamilton for going on 6 or 7 years now. He started his career with the Beloit Snappers and kept moving up the ladder through various minor league stops. Of course, working for the Astros during that time period (the year after the World Series through now) hasn't been the most plum assignment, but any time you get paid to do something you love, how can you argue with that?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 3, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
I've been listening to MLB games via Gameday audio for the last couple of weeks and I forgot how good baseball is on radio. I forgot because Ed Farmer is brutal. He's not a radio guy, he can't paint a picture. I've found the best radio broadcasts consist of one broadcaster at a time and don't do the give and take that Farmer and DJ do. DJ is at least tolerable, but probably better suited for TV. I wish the Sox had a radio broadcaster calling their games instead of Farmer.

Give it some time. I'm coming to the rescue soon.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 4, 2012 -> 02:11 AM)
Give it some time. I'm coming to the rescue soon.

Please share stories about baseball players that your target demographic has actually heard of before. That's easily the biggest complaint I'd have about Farmer and Hawk. If most of us "baseball historians" don't even really know who they're talking about, then I can't imagine what casual listeners are thinking.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2012 -> 08:17 PM)
Please share stories about baseball players that your target demographic has actually heard of before. That's easily the biggest complaint I'd have about Farmer and Hawk. If most of us "baseball historians" don't even really know who they're talking about, then I can't imagine what casual listeners are thinking.

Noted.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 3, 2012 -> 07:29 PM)
"Time to Move Rios"

"Farmer is Awful"

You are one crabby dude.

I understand where you are coming from, but I like this particular thread topic. BTW, there are subtle nuances and quirks to all posters, you included.

Back on topic, Farmer does suck bad. Man how I long for John Rooney and his play by play.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 3, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I would rather have a gallon of vanilla ice cream call the game than some of those radio broadcasters around the game. Hell, why even pay someone if you could just use the masterful picture that the MVP 2005 booth paints? Hook it up to a mic and let it play. The dry humor and observations that Farmer brings to the broadcast has kept me listening to Sox games during blowouts and through the balance of the season after the playoffs are out of the picture.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (fathom @ May 3, 2012 -> 07:17 PM)

Right...Vin Sculley is 85 years old or something and yet he has a team of researchers who supply him with stories about just about every current player on each roster...now I know Vin himself does not know these things, but the fact that he makes an effort to inform his audience about the players ACTUALLY PLAYING IN TODAY's GAME is quite interesting...and somewhat humorous since you get to hear it presented from his perspective on life.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ May 3, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)

______20

+ 1 x 10

Beyond brutal, and the terrible, nasal voice is the icing on the turd. Bravo, Marty! If nothing else, Hawk's got a warm, strong and folksy voice.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Marty, I have a suggestion for you, if you don't like him, don't listen. I do not understand why people complain about things that they do voluntarily.

Well, those of us who grew up in a time when Eddie Einhorn was ahead of his time with sports on cable learned the game by listening on radio. I got to the point where I really preferred listening to games on radio and getting other things done rather than watching on TV. So, if you love baseball on radio and hate Farmer as your PBP man, it really makes the season less enjoyable. Rooney made for a very enjoyable and productive Saturday afternoon.

Just... what? Praise for DJ over Farmer? I know Hawk is a homer and gets flak for his 'Hawkisms' and such, Farmer has his faults as well, but anyone saying anything positive about DJ is laughable. This is the same guy that took two innings to tell the story of his travels on the road as a minor league player and how he ate a Tylenol gel-cap off of the floor of his car thinking it was a red jellybean. Oh-do-tell me more, please. The man is so full of himself on every broadcast, no matter the medium, thinks he is the funniest guy around. DJ, talk about the game. I understand he's a (poor) color guy but he detracts from every broadcast he does. He got demoted from TV to radio but don't worry, "that was his dream job...!" Horse ****, he wasn't moved because he wanted it; he was moved because he's a trashcake.

Farmer does his best to continue the broadcasts despite having DJ around. I get the feeling the Farmer merely tolerates having DJ in the booth; there is only very forced camaraderie there, even baited jabs.

No, if we're to pick on one of our announcers (besides the easy target of Hawk), it should be that no-talent ass-clown DJ.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ May 3, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
Well, those of us who grew up in a time when Eddie Einhorn was ahead of his time with sports on cable learned the game by listening on radio. I got to the point where I really preferred listening to games on radio and getting other things done rather than watching on TV. So, if you love baseball on radio and hate Farmer as your PBP man, it really makes the season less enjoyable. Rooney made for a very enjoyable and productive Saturday afternoon.

That's a good point. Baseball is the best sport when it comes to radio.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ May 3, 2012 -> 11:16 PM)
Just... what? Praise for DJ over Farmer? I know Hawk is a homer and gets flak for his 'Hawkisms' and such, Farmer has his faults as well, but anyone saying anything positive about DJ is laughable. This is the same guy that took two innings to tell the story of his travels on the road as a minor league player and how he ate a Tylenol gel-cap off of the floor of his car thinking it was a red jellybean. Oh-do-tell me more, please. The man is so full of himself on every broadcast, no matter the medium, thinks he is the funniest guy around. DJ, talk about the game. I understand he's a (poor) color guy but he detracts from every broadcast he does. He got demoted from TV to radio but don't worry, "that was his dream job...!" Horse ****, he wasn't moved because he wanted it; he was moved because he's a trashcake.

Farmer does his best to continue the broadcasts despite having DJ around. I get the feeling the Farmer merely tolerates having DJ in the booth; there is only very forced camaraderie there, even baited jabs.

No, if we're to pick on one of our announcers (besides the easy target of Hawk), it should be that no-talent ass-clown DJ.

I've never seen anyone hate DJ with such a passion. I always get the feeling that DJ is just messing with Farmer because he finds him as boring as I do.