7-15 in the last 22

Greg Hibbard

Outside of the infamous 4-18 stretch last year and a similarly abysmal 4-17 stretch in 2007, this is the worst 22 game stretch of baseball the White Sox have played since 2003, when they went 11-27 during a particularly brutal stretch of the early part of the season.

As fans, are we finally willing to let go of this team having the potential of being competitive, regardless of the strength of our division, and more importantly, do Williams and co. finally have it in them to trade everything they can in July (Konerko, Peavy, Thornton and anyone else they can unload) and truly start over?

Or....does one more three-four-five game win streak put this team back in neutral?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 17, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
That doesn't answer any of the questions I asked, though...

I think we bounce around within five games of .500 pretty much all year long with some really good and really bad stretches, which leads to a few pieces being dealt at the deadline.

The trouble right now is that the Sox don't have a lot to trade. Peavy may be moveable, but the return would be pretty minimal. Salary dump (including the $4 million minimum for 2013) would be fine, though, if the Sox are clearly out of it. I'm not sure Konerko would be traded, but he might bring a decent return. Rios...get used to seeing him as a White Sox.

The other problem is this damn division. Is any team going to run away with the division? Unless the Sox are way back at the deadline, I don't see much happening. With the way it's going, I could see the Sox right around .500 and within 5 games of first.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:15 AM)
The trouble right now is that the Sox don't have a lot to trade. Peavy may be moveable, but the return would be pretty minimal. Salary dump (including the $4 million minimum for 2013) would be fine, though, if the Sox are clearly out of it. I'm not sure Konerko would be traded, but he might bring a decent return. Rios...get used to seeing him as a White Sox.

The other problem is this damn division. Is any team going to run away with the division? Unless the Sox are way back at the deadline, I don't see much happening. With the way it's going, I could see the Sox right around .500 and within 5 games of first.

Exactly. That's the problem. This for, the most part, is a ***ty ass division. In the AL east or west, we're 10 games out by now and looking towards selling. But the Tigers have been average at best and nobody believes in the Indians. It's maddening. You know the Sox aren't good enough to win it. But they're not bad enough to be out of it by July.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Exactly. That's the problem. This for, the most part, is a ***ty ass division. In the AL east or west, we're 10 games out by now and looking towards selling. But the Tigers have been average at best and nobody believes in the Indians. It's maddening. You know the Sox aren't good enough to win it. But they're not bad enough to be out of it by July.

They're just a bunch of meanies!

The Sox have the talent to win it. Whether they will win it is another question...but you'd have to accept a playoff berth if it's within grasp. Only makes you more money to build your team with.

Just can't trade prospects to improve the roster, really. If we're going to win, it will have to be with this squad or something close to it. I don't know how we could improve the on-field product without bastardizing the rebuild plan.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
How is that relevant to 2012? I get what GH is saying.

Edit: Nevermind. I see what you did there.

I like to correct small mistakes, cause I'm an ass like that. :ph34r:

But to answer his question, I think it's way too early to look at it realistically. It's May 17. No one is buying now and there is a lot of baseball yet to be played. You have to wait until July. Maybe Detroit figures it out and takes a big lead or maybe Verlander's arm falls off. Maybe the Sox stay close in their mediocre division or maybe they are 10 games back and ready to sell.

The Tigers will break it open soon enough. With attendance the way that it is, it won't be hard to justify selling some parts.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)

So true.

The Central is back to be the red headed step child of the AL... Detroit just isn't gonna be as good. I still think they take it, but they're not running away and hiding like last year. They don't have the pitching to do that. Eventually Miggy the Drunk and Prince the Fat will start putting up those MVP numbers but they're gonna be giving up a lot of runs too with that staff (minus Verlander of course, but even he isn't going off like last season...)

QUOTE (Jake @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:21 AM)
The Sox have the talent to win it. Whether they will win it is another question...but you'd have to accept a playoff berth if it's within grasp. Only makes you more money to build your team with.

Just can't trade prospects to improve the roster, really. If we're going to win, it will have to be with this squad or something close to it. I don't know how we could improve the on-field product without bastardizing the rebuild plan.

The major question will be is what defines "within grasp" for a playoff spot. If you are 1 game behind Detroit, then I would think it makes sense to go for it.

But if you are "only" 4 games back of the 2nd wild card spot, but chasing 4 teams, is that really "within grasp"? KW may think so, but I would bet a lot of others would disagree.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
The Tigers will break it open soon enough. With attendance the way that it is, it won't be hard to justify selling some parts.

I fully expect that to happen. But will KW and company realize that even if they're only 5-6 games out that it's time to concede? It didn't happen last year. I realize I'm just a fan and KW has to evaluate/operate in a certain manner, but the best GM's know when it's time to raise the white flag.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 17, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I fully expect that to happen. But will KW and company realize that even if they're only 5-6 games out that it's time to concede? It didn't happen last year. I realize I'm just a fan and KW has to evaluate/operate in a certain manner, but the best GM's know when it's time to raise the white flag.

Concede? Weren't you one who was drooling for Youkilis?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 08:38 AM)

Break out in what way though? Cause they ain't winning 95 again. Maybe 89-90 with that staff as it's pitching right now...

I still think Detroit wins, but they wont be that good. The Sox will win like 83 and Detroit 90 and it'll be like every f***ing year seems to be....

It's nauseating, but I could see KW saying "I put the White Sox in a position to compete for a division title in 2012, and so we needed to stand pat at the July deadline to see if they could do it...."

I'm really afraid of this team being too .500ish and too close to the front for KW to do anything, when really it's past time to tear the whole thing down and suck for a couple of years, at least.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 17, 2012 -> 12:31 PM)
Welcome to rebuilding.

You keep saying this as if it's an overt plan by the organization. In another thread, you said "they didn't" after someone said "....for a team that expects to compete."

Am I missing something? Where exactly did they say "we are rebuilding"? I've never heard Williams say that, nor do I believe for a second that if this team was 3 games under but 3 games out that he would throw in the towel. Do you?

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 17, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
You keep saying this as if it's an overt plan by the organization. In another thread, you said "they didn't" after someone said "....for a team that expects to compete."

Am I missing something? Where exactly did they say "we are rebuilding"? I've never heard Williams say that, nor do I believe for a second that if this team was 3 games under but 3 games out that he would throw in the towel. Do you?

“It is the start of a rebuilding," Sox general manager Ken Williams told reporters in a hotel suite. "And you guys know I have not used that word in 12 years. But it is the start of a rebuilding. Now, is it the start of falling-domino rebuilding? No. Absolutely not.
We said it there.