Refuse to pay tip ~ Family locked in restaurant

Texsox

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about tipping vendors? A beer at USCF is 7.75. I would imagine most who buy 1 give the vendor a 1.25 tip. Most that buy 2 give them a 1.50 tip. Don't they make $1 a can anyway?

I feel for the servers. Its a job I would never do, but IMO tipping is out of hand. They have tip jars at Subway and a lot of places of their ilk. Are we just a couple of years away from having to give a tip to the person checking you out at the grocery store.

Bartenders should be well taken care of if you plan on doing some drinking. He/she will be happy and so will you. If you ever go to the what used to be call Jim Beam Club as USCF, dropping a little money for your free beverage will set you up very pretty for the end of the 7th when you actually start paying.

20-25% is my standard tip. I don't complain about bad service. I agree with earlier posts, the best way to complain is to never return.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
Tipping is such bulls***. It's just a way for the restaurant to get away with paying their employees a very low hourly wage, and then tax them for the money that is paid to them by the customer's, not the business.

With that being said, I obviously tip, because anyone who doesn't is a monster now-a-days, and only because I know the server relies on tips as their earnings for a night.

i waitressed from '08-11 or so and i have to agree. we got paid 4.50/hr and almost half was taken out in taxes. we had to give 10% to the busboys, a crap job there because they got paid 41 a day. so usually max, they would get like 20$ on tip. so 61$ to bus? screw that. a lot of people dont realize too that bus boys dont just clean tables. where i worked, they had to cut a ton of fruit, lettuce , get all the stuff need for the salads, clean in the back, even go outside and cut the grass, and thats just to name a few things they had to do. but anyways, point being, with tipping, the owners got away with paying us 4.50/hr and busboys 41$ for an 8 hr shift

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 27, 2012 -> 01:22 AM)
And if someone is calling someone an asshole they probably deserve less. I delivered pizza in college and didn't get mad at anyone for a s***ty tip. If I got no tip I wasn't happy but that's life. No need to call someone an asshole because they don't tip what you want them to. They don't have to tip at all.

I hate this one...I always used to tip on a delivery, then everyone instituted "Delivery fees". Now I feel guilty if I don't tip, but I also feel like I'm already playing the **** tip because of the mandatory delivery fee.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
I hate this one...I always used to tip on a delivery, then everyone instituted "Delivery fees". Now I feel guilty if I don't tip, but I also feel like I'm already playing the **** tip because of the mandatory delivery fee.

I can think of one place around here (and I'm guessing it's way more common and I just haven't noticed it) when you order delivery they explicitly tell you that a delivery fee does not go to the driver and they can/should still be tipped. I see what you're saying, though.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 27, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
I can think of one place around here (and I'm guessing it's way more common and I just haven't noticed it) when you order delivery they explicitly tell you that a delivery fee does not go to the driver and they can/should still be tipped. I see what you're saying, though.

Which drives me nuts, because they raised the price of delivery by instituting that fee, but I was already tipping for that reason. Bah.

What's the difference between a delivery driver and a waiter? What's the delivery fee, $3? That's bush league on your part.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 27, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
What's the difference between a delivery driver and a waiter? What's the delivery fee, $3? That's bush league on your part.

If you are at a restaurant and see a "waiter fee" of $3 *and* a note that it does not go to the waiter and you should tip anyways, what would you think?

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
If you are at a restaurant and see a "waiter fee" of $3 *and* a note that it does not go to the waiter and you should tip anyways, what would you think?

Wow, thanks Tex, for once you've summed up my response perfectly.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 27, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)

The delivery fee covers the cost of providing the service i.e. gas/car. The fee is bare minimum so the restaurant/driver aren't losing money by bringing your food to your door. The delivery guy's still providing a similar service to the waiter, but with costs coming out of their pocket. Really, delivery is a pretty premium service in itself. Personally, I have no problem paying a guy $10 (fee and tip) and even more if it's a big order or the delivery was extremely fast.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 27, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
The delivery fee covers the cost of providing the service i.e. gas/car. The fee is bare minimum so the restaurant/driver aren't losing money by bringing your food to your door. The delivery guy's still providing a similar service to the waiter, but with costs coming out of their pocket. Really, delivery is a pretty premium service in itself. Personally, I have no problem paying a guy $10 (fee and tip) and even more if it's a big order or the delivery was extremely fast.

My counterpoint though is that they already offer extra discounts for people taking carryout orders, not counting the delivery fee, so I feel like they're charging the price of bringing food to the door at least 2 times based on that. Seriously, watch their ads, they advertise "$10 carryout pizzas" all the time, or deals like that. And then I'm expected to tip beyond that?

That said, i definitely tipped when I ordered on Super bowl Sunday and it arrived in 30 minutes.

I use to deliver for Dominos and that delivery fee IS bulls***..

The drivers do NOT get that delivery fee.. down here, the delivery fee was 1.50.. we got 90 cents a delivery to cover "gas". The delivery fee is just an extra way for them to make profits and in no way is given to the drivers as a tip. It always sucked when people thought the delivery fee was the tip, its not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
My counterpoint though is that they already offer extra discounts for people taking carryout orders, not counting the delivery fee, so I feel like they're charging the price of bringing food to the door at least 2 times based on that. Seriously, watch their ads, they advertise "$10 carryout pizzas" all the time, or deals like that. And then I'm expected to tip beyond that?

That said, i definitely tipped when I ordered on Super bowl Sunday and it arrived in 30 minutes.

You're paying for a service. :lolhitting Of course you should be discounted if you pick the food up yourself.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 27, 2012 -> 09:21 PM)
You're paying for a service. :lolhitting Of course you should be discounted if you pick the food up yourself.

But there are many countries where they offer free delivery in order to grow market share and encourage ordering that might not otherwise take place.

Remember all those internet start-ups in the 90's that promised to deliver item XYZ (like groceries) to your home for no charge, or amazon.com not charging for delivery (service) if the order was above a certain amount.

Part of it's marketing, too. If they didn't offer free delivery in some of these countries, they'd lose customers. It all depends on your perspective. Like here in China, there are no tips, or tips only at 4-5 star hotels in the biggest, most international cities.

Of course, in the process of providing free delivery, they do that on the backs of employees making $1.25-2.50 USD per hour typically, while the food itself costs about 75-80% of what it would in the US.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 27, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)

Great. So why do you get a carry out discount and then not have to pay the delivery fee? Pick one.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
In theory this could be good, but I'm still a guy without a huge rack. They aren't looking for me.

Actually this isn't true...at all.

I know many bartenders, and women are the worst tippers by far. So they aren't looking for women that won't tip them anyway.

They actually ARE looking for you...but only if you start them off the right way, as someone else pointed out. ;)

I never EVER have issues being in the "back of the line" at a bar and the bartender points past everyone in front of me and asks what I want first. Why? I don't have a huge rack. It's because when I first arrived, he got a nice tip and remembers me. So the drinks keep coming without me having to wait for them.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 25, 2012 -> 04:48 PM)
but why take it out on the SERVER when it's the restaurant owners you had a problem with in regard to check policy and being out of everything... (obvs sans the waitresses complaint)

I'm pretty sure the inclusion of our 3-month old in the count to bump it up to auto gratuity was on the waitress as well.

I understand there are a lot of things that the wait staff can't control, but really that was the topper for the night on top of everything else.

Honestly, we probably would've left something had she not tried a BS move like that.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 29, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
I'm pretty sure the inclusion of our 3-month old in the count to bump it up to auto gratuity was on the waitress as well.

I understand there are a lot of things that the wait staff can't control, but really that was the topper for the night on top of everything else.

Honestly, we probably would've left something had she not tried a BS move like that.

Even though an infant will not order a meal many servers, including myself back in the day, will look at is as additional work for that table.

"Can you grab us a high chair?"

"Can we get some crackers?"

"Can we get some crayons?"

"Can you clean up this drink my kid knocked over?"

etc.

I had no problem adding infants to the headcount of a table when it turned out I had to perform additional work.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 29, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
Even though an infant will not order a meal many servers, including myself back in the day, will look at is as additional work for that table.

"Can you grab us a high chair?"

"Can we get some crackers?"

"Can we get some crayons?"

"Can you clean up this drink my kid knocked over?"

etc.

I had no problem adding infants to the headcount of a table when it turned out I had to perform additional work.

Servers had to do that? At Chilis, hosts get the high chairs and crayons, bus boys clean up any messes or spills.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ May 27, 2012 -> 09:06 PM)
I use to deliver for Dominos and that delivery fee IS bulls***..

The drivers do NOT get that delivery fee.. down here, the delivery fee was 1.50.. we got 90 cents a delivery to cover "gas". The delivery fee is just an extra way for them to make profits and in no way is given to the drivers as a tip. It always sucked when people thought the delivery fee was the tip, its not.

I got 54 cents a delivery at the Dominos I delivered for.

I always found tipping to be ridiculous, in just about any venue, especially restaurants. My wife and I normally go to dinner on friday or saturday night, anywhere from $40-50 for the meal between the two of us. I get a beer or two, she doesn't. So the total work in about 30 minutes is (1) bringing menus, (2) taking order, (3) bringing a beer or two, (4) delivering food, (5) bringing the check. And I'm supposed to fork over $10 bucks for that? $10 bucks for what amounts to running 4 to 5 errands?

I tip guys at the Cell 20-30% because they're hauling a s*** ton of beer up and downstairs so that I can remain seated and enjoy the game. THAT is work. Bringing me some paper and a plate is not.

I agree 100% that tipping should be outlawed and waitstaff should just be paid a decent wage.

While we are on the topic of this kind of stuff, I can not STAND when guests come in and refuse to sit where I seat them. I can understand if they want a booth over a table, I can understand if they want a bigger booth over a 2-seater one, and I can understand if they want to sit by the bathroom or sit near a window so they can watch their car/motor cycle. But I can't stand when they don't even ASK if they can have a new seat. Not to sounds racially insensitive, but I work in a town that is about 50% white and 50% minority, and about 90% of the time it's a black person telling me in a ghetto tone "Nahh nahh, we ain't finna sit there. We gone sit right hurr" and will move themselves. Or sometimes they will stop following me and go to their own seat "Yeaaa, uh, we need menus over here, we ain't gunna sit on that side." It's very frustrating. It's funny and a little bit awkward when some of our black servers come up to me and say "Come on man, don't sit me any more black tables, I can't stand them". lol.....umm?

Anyway, yeah, pretty much anyone who doesn't have the decency to ask if they can have a new table pisses me off. Do people not understand hosts have a rotation to follow? And when someone gets skipped, the servers b**** at us for skipping them, even if it's not our fault? And then if one section gets triple sat, they get in the weeds and we get blamed?