Refuse to pay tip ~ Family locked in restaurant

Texsox

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 25, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
If people don't want to tip, fine. Just double the prices so the staff is paid accordingly.

Wouldn't that be a 50% tip?

Why should some jobs be tips and others not?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My average tip is 18-22%. I have noticed a MAJOR decline in the quality of service in restaurants recently. Up until 2-3 years ago, there might have been 1-2 occasions a year where the service was so poor that I tipped less than 18%. The past couple years, it has been more like once a month.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 25, 2012 -> 11:51 PM)
Tip them and vote by not returning to the restaurant if the experience was that bad. I don't know why people need to b**** about something that was bad. Just don't go back. If enough people do that the place will go out of business if it's that bad.

And then contact the corporate offices for the establishment and let them know why you won't be back.

Does anyone else think its ridiculous to tip a bartender?

Say what you will about me on this, but I never tip bartenders. I think its ridiculous that I buy a $2.00 beer and then have to tip you $1 or more because you reached down and opened it up. Thats not deserving of a tip, IMO.

A waitress on the other hand, she actually has to go get it and bring it to me. That, I have no problem throwing $2-3 bucks for. However, if you are literally standing at the cooler and just hand me a beer I don't think I need to give you anything extra for that. There are enough drunk people in the place that will leave way more of a tip to make up for it anyway.

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ May 26, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
Does anyone else think its ridiculous to tip a bartender?

Say what you will about me on this, but I never tip bartenders. I think its ridiculous that I buy a $2.00 beer and then have to tip you $1 or more because you reached down and opened it up. Thats not deserving of a tip, IMO.

A waitress on the other hand, she actually has to go get it and bring it to me. That, I have no problem throwing $2-3 bucks for. However, if you are literally standing at the cooler and just hand me a beer I don't think I need to give you anything extra for that. There are enough drunk people in the place that will leave way more of a tip to make up for it anyway.

I'm in on this, I don't feel the need to give you a dollar for popping a cap off my beer.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 26, 2012 -> 11:48 AM)
You tip bartenders so theyll remember you when the bar is busy.

In theory this could be good, but I'm still a guy without a huge rack. They aren't looking for me. And there's no way at a crowded bar they can memorize who each person is and how many times they've tipped, not to mention bars that have multiple bartenders.

If you aren't going to give me a attention in a reasonable amount of time for me to buy something from your bar, then I'll find somewhere else, and you just cost your place some business.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 26, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
In theory this could be good, but I'm still a guy without a huge rack. They aren't looking for me. And there's no way at a crowded bar they can memorize who each person is and how many times they've tipped, not to mention bars that have multiple bartenders.

If you aren't going to give me a attention in a reasonable amount of time for me to buy something from your bar, then I'll find somewhere else, and you just cost your place some business.

Agreed.

Either way, I haven't run into too many situations where I was waiting forever to get service.

Another thing that I just shake my head at is the tip jar at the register at Subway. They don't do anything different from employees at McDonalds, Wendys, Burger King.. you wouldn't tip them.

See what money you are holding? What, do you walk up there with 50's flashing? Plus, just because you have a 20 in your hand doesn't mean they are getting 20, or that you'll tip.

I won't tip every time if I'm buying a beer for myself, it's maybe every other. Just me. But if you aren't going to get me decent service when I'm trying to buy your product, I'll move elsewhere.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 26, 2012 -> 01:19 AM)
I always tip 20% at least, generally round up to 25%, and I'll go higher depending on service and bill (if it's a small bill at say, Steak & Shake, but the server was great, I've left a 50% and even a 100% tip once, but that was great service on a small bill).

Ha, I see we have almost identical tipping philosophies.

As for bartenders, I'm with Badger on this. I tip every time, at least with places I go frequently.

Edited by farmteam

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 26, 2012 -> 01:58 PM)
Ha, I see we have almost identical tipping philosophies.

Do you also become a cheap bastard if the service ignores you?

Because that's what the fight with my brother was about. Tipping a penny once to literally the worst service I've ever gotten (and will likely ever have) >>>>>> tipping fantastically the rest of the time.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 26, 2012 -> 02:01 PM)
Do you also become a cheap bastard if the service ignores you?

Because that's what the fight with my brother was about. Tipping a penny once to literally the worst service I've ever gotten (and will likely ever have) >>>>>> tipping fantastically the rest of the time.

No, on that one I'd probably side with your brother, but for different reasons. I don't care if it's so they won't think young-20 somethings are terrible tippers, but I'll leave about 10-15% because it's still part of their pay, since after taxes they get nothing from their paychecks. I get what others say about waitstaff being entitled to a tip, but for me, I'm pretty sure a waiter would have to legitimately harass me for me to not leave them anything.

I think there's also an argument for "reading them the riot" act, calling them to the carpet and leaving a 10% tip but letting them know your dissatisfaction and why you're leaving a more minimal tip.

Some people prefer to create a scene and ream the waiter/waitress, then leave nothing.

Personally, I usually prefer just to give a 10% or no more than 15% tip if I am unhappy with the service...or I simply won't repatronize the establishment.

But sometimes there is a legitimate reason for why the service is bad, so I can understand some people wanting to understand the cause of the problem...and taking that into consideration in their tipping. For example, one of the normal servers is out sick, so all of the staff has 2-3 extra tables to deal with on a weekend. Is it fair to penalize the server in that situation? Or let's say it's a restaurant on I-80 and a huge tour or bus group just stopped by in the middle of the afternoon...sort of an anomalous situation that's hard to plan for when you run a restaurant, unless the bus/tour company has alerted you ahead of time.

I tend to be more understanding in those particular situations. It's when there's seemingly nobody in the restaurant and you still have to fight to get attention or it takes forever for the food to be served that can be the most annoying.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 26, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
But sometimes there is a legitimate reason for why the service is bad, so I can understand some people wanting to understand the cause of the problem...and taking that into consideration in their tipping. For example, one of the normal servers is out sick, so all of the staff has 2-3 extra tables to deal with on a weekend. Is it fair to penalize the server in that situation? Or let's say it's a restaurant on I-80 and a huge tour or bus group just stopped by in the middle of the afternoon...sort of an anomalous situation that's hard to plan for when you run a restaurant, unless the bus/tour company has alerted you ahead of time.

Usually, if a person gives decent service when they're clearly being run ragged by another group, I consider that a reason for a tip boost. If a person's service suffers because of that, I'll give a "normal tip" for that.

QUOTE (Tex @ May 26, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
Any idea who first came up with a percentage guideline for tipping?

Here are origin articles.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20070116.html

Etymologists trace the word "tipping" back to the street language of the medieval era, when it meant "hand it over." (It sort of means the same thing today.)

In 1972, an anthropology professor linked the words "gratuity" and "tip" in various languages to the act of imbibing. Each can be literally translated into terms that pertain to drinking -- tringeld in German, pourboire in French, for example. The Dutch word tippen (calling for service by tapping on a table) and the Latin word stips (meaning "gift") may also be related.

Whatever the origin of the word, the practice probably goes back to the first time one Neanderthal held a rock open for another Neanderthal. Or at least, as some evidence suggests, to the Roman Empire. The term has also been linked (though not by all word historians) to 18th-century England, where eating and drinking establishments put out brass urns inscribed with the phrase "To Insure Promptitude" (T.I.P.) for customers to leave money in.

According to this article by The New Yorker's James Surowiecki, tipping spread widely in the U.S. after the Civil War, despite those "who considered it a toxic vestige of Old World patronage." Back then, the practice was actually banned by six states.

Not so today.

http://www.ehow.com/about_6192417_history-tipping.html

Origins

According to economist Ofer H. Azar, tipping may have originated in Ancient Rome, but, Azar notes, the practice more likely developed in medieval Britain and Europe. During the Middle Ages, nobles who were traveling between towns would give money to beggars so the beggars would not attack them. Azar maintains that tipping for service as well as to display one's riches began with this practice.

English Custom

Tipping appeared in coffeehouses and pubs in 18th-century England. Signs reading "to insure promptitude" adorned prominently placed containers to encourage patrons to tip in order to hasten service, according to Sharon L. Fullen, who has written about tipping practices in "The Complete Guide to Tips & Gratuities." Customers also started tipping in exchange for an unique service, and tipping became a marker of social status. During this period, household guests also tipped the servants of their hosts; the money given to the servants was known as "vails." At first guests offered vails for good service, but eventually vails became expected.

the United States

Tipping didn't become part of the U.S. lifestyle until the late 19th century. Azar speculates that the absence of tipping until then was due to coachmen, barkeeps and other service workers who didn't view themselves as servants. Americans who travelled overseas to Britain and Europe brought the convention of tipping back with them. According to Fullen, tipping allowed these travellers to exhibit their wealth and brag about their familiarity with European customs.

Changes over Time

By the turn of the 20th century, tipping had turned into routine practice but not without some objections. An anti-tipping backlash emerged and in 1909, Washington state became the first to make the practice illegal. Six other states followed suit. Protests from employers (who liked tipping because they could lower workers' wages) as well as from workers resulted in these states overturning their bans.

21st century-Tipping

In the United States, tips of 10 percent of the bill were customary until the 1970s when a 15 percent tip became the norm. In the early 2000s, a 20 percent tip started becoming the standard in some areas of the United States according to Fullen. Azar speculates in "The Social Norm of Tipping: A Review" (2003) from the journal "Labor and Demography" that customers increased tipping percentages because the practice makes them feel good about themselves. Using 2001 restaurant sales figures from the U.S. Census Bureau and assuming a 15 percent tip, Azar estimated that in U.S. restaurants alone, tipping approaches 26 billion dollars per year.

As a bartender myself, I know I always serve the people who tip well first. On a busier night, I might not actually get around to serving you after your first few if you don't tip because it's a financially stupid decision for me to do so. I get paid minimum serving wage. If you don't tip me, I don't make minimum wage. Obviously, I'm not going to perfectly remember who tipped what, but I definitely remember who tips well. And, I always serve them first and hook them up when I can.

I agree that it's a stupid system, and it's your right to tip as you see fit. But, all you're really doing is screwing the bartender, and some take it a little more personally than others.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 26, 2012 -> 05:39 PM)
As a bartender myself, I know I always serve the people who tip well first. On a busier night, I might not actually get around to serving you after your first few if you don't tip because it's a financially stupid decision for me to do so. I get paid minimum serving wage. If you don't tip me, I don't make minimum wage. Obviously, I'm not going to perfectly remember who tipped what, but I definitely remember who tips well. And, I always serve them first and hook them up when I can.

I agree that it's a stupid system, and it's your right to tip as you see fit. But, all you're really doing is screwing the bartender, and some take it a little more personally than others.

What kind of tips do bartenders feel are appropriate?

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 26, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)

I'm sure you also remember the people who don't give you anything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 26, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
What kind of tips do bartenders feel are appropriate?

It really sort of depends on what you're ordering. Using the beer example from earlier, I'd be happy with a dollar every other beer. If you want me to make you several mixed drinks or shots, I would expect more because of the time I would have to spend making the drinks. Mostly, I just like to see some sort of an effort from a customer. So often the biggest assholes are the worst tippers, and that's really just not a good combination. Plus you'll always get the people who run up a $98.75 tab and tip you 25 cents so their bank accounts are even. That's just insulting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 26, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
I'm sure you also remember the people who don't give you anything.

Yeah, if I feel like you're not going to tip me any money, I have no problem not serving you until I have no other options. It's nothing personal. There's just zero incentive to serving you if you don't tip.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 26, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
I get my drinks before girls many times at bars, the bartender can see what type of money you are holding in your hand, and about 50% of bartenders are females these days and most prefer me to a girl with a rack.

Now this is a man who knows the game. And Carl I would LOVE to have a $2.00 beer downtown. In fact.. I'd do cartwheels.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 26, 2012 -> 02:20 AM)
15% where I work would get you called an asshole. I'm not saying it's right, but now a day, 20% is what is expected, and 25% is a nice.

And if someone is calling someone an asshole they probably deserve less. I delivered pizza in college and didn't get mad at anyone for a s***ty tip. If I got no tip I wasn't happy but that's life. No need to call someone an asshole because they don't tip what you want them to. They don't have to tip at all.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 27, 2012 -> 12:22 AM)
And if someone is calling someone an asshole they probably deserve less. I delivered pizza in college and didn't get mad at anyone for a s***ty tip. If I got no tip I wasn't happy but that's life. No need to call someone an asshole because they don't tip what you want them to. They don't have to tip at all.

I'm not a server, so it doesn't affect me any, but I'm just saying, servers are pretty damn pissy with anything less than 20%, and I find that a product of the awful tipping system we have now-a-days, where servers RELY on tips to make good money. Tips should be a bonus, not a reliance.

QUOTE (gatnom @ May 26, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)

Just curious, does the owner also feel this way? I can see it both ways. I guess some owners are more interested in their own profits and making money than who is paying their employees for them.

I usually wait and see what the bartender is worth and tip accordingly.