Refuse to pay tip ~ Family locked in restaurant

Texsox

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/05/10/tippin...?iref=obnetwork

Customer Jasmine Marks told Click2Houston.com that the staff was rude, the drinks weren't refilled and her group received generally poor service. Marks asked if she could speak to a manager to have the auto-gratuity stripped from the bill, but claims the staff locked the doors and told her that her options were to pay the 17 percent or speak with the police outside.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tex @ May 25, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)

We already know my opinion on tipping from a previous post.

A lot of waiters/waitresses/establishments treat tipping as an entitlement, and in my opinion, it's not. It's incentive based pay...which they know and understand when taking the job.

Treat me like s***, I'll tip like s***.

Treat me well, I'll tip well.

Treat me outstandingly, and I'll tip above 25%.

As for big party auto-tipping...I understand that as well, as does everyone, it usually says it in multiple places, including the menu. In knowing that, and accepting that, you should pay the "auto-gratz" tip...HOWEVER, if you're service is bad when it's happening, immediately do something about it...don't wait until the end to b**** and then try refusing to pay it.

We went to a restaurant that tried to add the auto gratuity to our bill because they included my 3 month old daughter in their count.

After we had the worst restaurant experience in our lives (they were out of nearly everything we ordered and the waitress was overheard complaining about us to other customers) we told them to take it off. They did and we haven't been back since. That was over 10 years ago.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ May 25, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
If people don't want to tip, fine. Just double the prices so the staff is paid accordingly.

Frist, that's not my business, that's their business, and/or the waiter/waitresses decision to take the job in the first place.

Second, people don't mind tipping...I know I don't. I like giving a good tip, because it means I got good service.

It's no different than a non-incentive based salary job such as mine, where if I work 2 hours or 100 hours in a week, I get paid the exact same. If they lowballed me at the start, I would have refused knowing what it could entail.

That's business.

That's life.

They take that job KNOWING how the system works. If they don't like it, find something else to do. And if they do take the job, and many do, and know their tips are more often than not tied to their level of service, then make sure you perform. Yes, there will be times you get stiffed even if you give good service, but that would be the exception, not the rule.

I usually tip 20% on tax regardless of service.

The only thing that Ill do that is b****y is that if Im at a diner with a register I just leave the money on the table. I see no reason I should have to get up to pay, to then return to my table to put down a tip. That is just silly and inefficient. If Im paying for service, then complete the job you bastards!

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 25, 2012 -> 02:38 PM)
We went to a restaurant that tried to add the auto gratuity to our bill because they included my 3 month old daughter in their count.

After we had the worst restaurant experience in our lives (they were out of nearly everything we ordered and the waitress was overheard complaining about us to other customers) we told them to take it off. They did and we haven't been back since. That was over 10 years ago.

but why take it out on the SERVER when it's the restaurant owners you had a problem with in regard to check policy and being out of everything... (obvs sans the waitresses complaint)

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:00 PM)

The only thing that Ill do that is b****y is that if Im at a diner with a register I just leave the money on the table. I see no reason I should have to get up to pay, to then return to my table to put down a tip. That is just silly and inefficient. If Im paying for service, then complete the job you bastards!

We have some restaurants here where you have to pay at the cashier. That is annoying. I'd rather leave the money on the table as well. And if you do a CC, you have to figure out the tip right at the cashier which takes a moment to make sure you get it right. It's way better paying at the table.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 25, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)

Not I.

At the lowest I'll tip 10% -- meaning I got VERY bad service, so I leave a smaller than 15% tip to let them know it -- but I won't just leave nothing as I know they often share tips with others at the place of business, and it's not their fault the waiter/waitress sucks at their job.

That said, I've also left upwards of 50% tips, on bills upwards of 300$, I've left upwards of $150 because the service was SO outstanding they deserved it for making my night memorable.

I can be a total greedy b**** in this regard...OR one of the most generous they've ever run into.

That's THEIR choice.

I normally try to tip really well. It would take something severe for me not to leave a tip but there have been a few times I have done it. The most recent was to a cab driver who insisted on dropping me off 2 blocks away from where I was going because he didnt want to have to make a left turn. Most of the times at a restaurant Ill tip 20% at least because I know that money doesnt just go to the waiter/waitress but its also for the bussing, runners, bartenders etc. If I get really bad service somewhere I probably just wouldnt go back.

Tipping is such bulls***. It's just a way for the restaurant to get away with paying their employees a very low hourly wage, and then tax them for the money that is paid to them by the customer's, not the business.

With that being said, I obviously tip, because anyone who doesn't is a monster now-a-days, and only because I know the server relies on tips as their earnings for a night.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 25, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
I normally try to tip really well. It would take something severe for me not to leave a tip but there have been a few times I have done it. The most recent was to a cab driver who insisted on dropping me off 2 blocks away from where I was going because he didnt want to have to make a left turn. Most of the times at a restaurant Ill tip 20% at least because I know that money doesnt just go to the waiter/waitress but its also for the bussing, runners, bartenders etc. If I get really bad service somewhere I probably just wouldnt go back.

Not necessarily. Some restuaraunts tip the bartenders/bussers/expo a certain percentage of the sales that night, not the tips made, because hardly anyone ever reports tips accurately.

Also, I think the idea that the bartenders get tipped out is terrible. The bartenders already get tips from their customers at the bar, and then now they also get tips for something they had no hand in controlling? Awful.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

What drives me up the friggin wall is Old Country Buffet. Prices keep going up and up and up. Then on top of it, they have a guy or woman MANDATORILYcome up to your table,,,,,introduce themselves...........and then sign their name on your receipt and say that "I am so and so. i will be your server". Its a friggin "get it yourself" buffet. I dont need any server. Its just their way of saying............."i am here to get you things, so make sure that you leave me a tip for that ........as well as removing your used plates. Granted.....I always throw a few bucks down anyway for busboys. But geeezz this mandatory SERVER thing at a buffet is stupid. Probably why the one in Countryside Ill closed down. Kept raising prices plus the mandatory "server" garbage.

Tip them and vote by not returning to the restaurant if the experience was that bad. I don't know why people need to b**** about something that was bad. Just don't go back. If enough people do that the place will go out of business if it's that bad.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 25, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
Also, I think the idea that the bartenders get tipped out is terrible. The bartenders already get tips from their customers at the bar, and then now they also get tips for something they had no hand in controlling? Awful.

Except for, you know, all the drinks they made that night that the waitstaff brought out. I'm not saying their contribution was as substantial as the waiters/bussers, but it's there.

My brother and I had this debate the other night and it led to a fight.

I always tip 20% at least, generally round up to 25%, and I'll go higher depending on service and bill (if it's a small bill at say, Steak & Shake, but the server was great, I've left a 50% and even a 100% tip once, but that was great service on a small bill).

There was ONE time I didn't. I left a penny tip on a credit card because the waitress who's name was on the receipt got us water. She didn't take our order, get our drinks, bring our food, when a friend spilled his shake and was willing to pay for a new one, just needed something to clean it up, she was nowhere to be found, and she literally ignored our table outside of bringing us water. The whole time she was outside smoking. My brother said I should have left her a 15% tip so she'd believe that college students would tip her and she'd try harder in the future and she probably only gave bad service because she expected a bad tip from younger people. Um, f*** that. She did nothing whatsoever to earn a dime of money from me.

Then he said what if she's having a bad day...so? That gives her the right to completely ignore my table? I have bad days working at Mizzou's student TV station or when interviewing people for the newspaper and I put on a fake smile to get the job done. And her job is to serve all tables equally, not just ones she tips well.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 26, 2012 -> 01:19 AM)
I always tip 20% at least, generally round up to 25%, and I'll go higher depending on service and bill (if it's a small bill at say, Steak & Shake, but the server was great, I've left a 50% and even a 100% tip once, but that was great service on a small bill).

You're an incredibly good tipper. I rarely see wait staff that I think deserves 20%. 15% for the usual adequate service I receive.

QUOTE (farmteam @ May 26, 2012 -> 12:58 AM)
Except for, you know, all the drinks they made that night that the waitstaff brought out. I'm not saying their contribution was as substantial as the waiters/bussers, but it's there.

Hmm, okay, good point, I forgot about that, but in that case I'd give them probably half of the tip the bussers get.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 26, 2012 -> 02:03 AM)
You're an incredibly good tipper. I rarely see wait staff that I think deserves 20%. 15% for the usual adequate service I receive.

15% where I work would get you called an asshole. I'm not saying it's right, but now a day, 20% is what is expected, and 25% is a nice.

Usually when I tip, I just make it an even number, whether that comes out at 16%, or 23%, I just like it nice and even.

If it's a 7.24 meal, I will put down $9, which is a 24% tip. Or if it's $16.15, I will give them $19, which is a 17% tip. I don't take the time to figure out a percentage, I just round up, and then add a couple, based on guessing.

It's actually annoying when a server, almost always female, will come up to me and whine "That jerk left me $6 on that bill, can you believe this s***?", then I reply, "How much was the bill?", she says "Psh, like $30 or something."

"Ooooooh, so you are telling me that the TWENTY PERCENTAGE he gave you was so terrible? Did you even realize that was TWENTY PERCENT?? You made $6 on a table that was there for barely a half hour. Just that guy alone is giving you nearly $12 an hour."

"Oh....well whatever. I'm not making s*** tonight"

:chair

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

if anyone pulls the "we'll call the cops" routine, call them on it. You don't have to pay tip, let them call the cops, no rational police officer is going to risk a false imprisonment charge over a tip at a restaurant. You would pay the bill and leave.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 26, 2012 -> 02:26 AM)
if anyone pulls the "we'll call the cops" routine, call them on it. You don't have to pay tip, let them call the cops, no rational police officer is going to risk a false imprisonment charge over a tip at a restaurant. You would pay the bill and leave.

I think if it's written in the menu, you do. Usually when we have people complain about our auto-gratuity (17% on parties of 8 or more I think), our managers just put their tail in between their legs and take it off their bill. And sometimes servers feel they could have gotten more without that rule, depending on the party, obviously.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 25, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
I try to tip as close to 20% as possible. I've been in jobs where tips made up part of my money and people are notoriously cheap.

Any idea who first came up with a percentage guideline for tipping?