2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
The Timberwolves are not trading Kevin Love.

At least we aren't posting trades that insanely benefit the Bulls and suck for both other teams involved. Oh... wait.

Why should Lakers get all the fun? :P

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
There's just no way the Bulls would pass up on OJ Mayo to sign Kirk, something else happened that prevented the Bulls from signing Mayo. I would bet a million dollars on it.

Kirk and the Bulls came to an agreement before the FA signing moratorium was concluded, KC Johnson was reporting it as early as July 8th.

OJ Mayo agreed to terms July 17th.

The Bulls didnt make an effort because they already cast their lot with Captain Kirk. Maybe something behind closed doors happened, Mayo said he wanted to play with Dirk or something along that line, but I havent read anything like that. All I know is that the Bulls jumped on Kirk immediately, and Mayo waited a week and a half after to sign

Why didn't they pursue Mayo in the first place is my question, I know they wanted him badly. They were prepared to trade Brewer for him a few years ago

I guess its probably because they expected him to command a larger salary than they were prepared to give. Then they sign Kirk, then lo and behold Mayo signs for an amount they could have afforded

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
Why didn't they pursue Mayo in the first place is my question, I know they wanted him badly. They were prepared to trade Brewer for him a few years ago

I guess its probably because they expected him to command a larger salary than they were prepared to give. Then they sign Kirk, then lo and behold Mayo signs for an amount they could have afforded

You would think they would have at least tried to negotiate if they wanted him that badly.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:06 PM)
Something complex went on there for sure, I doubt its as simple as saying "They wanted Kirk instead"

Unfortunately, this decision looks like pretty much all of the offseason decisions that were made, so we will have to agree to disagree.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
Well, after typing in "O.J. Mayo Bulls" into Google, I've found a few more likely scenarios for why the Bulls didn't land Mayo beyond "They wanted Kirk instead", since that is patently ridiculous on its face.

Well by all means, please expound

I'll just copy pasta it

"O.J. Mayo appears a longshot for Bulls

Yes, Mayo and Derrick Rose are buddies and they’re both part of the same star-studded offseason workout group that trains in Los Angeles. Unless Mayo elects to accept a pay cut while taking the Bulls’ long-term potential into account, however, Chicago doesn’t appear to be his landing spot.

As it stands, the Bulls would likely have a shot to acquire Mayo if they choose not to match the lucrative offer sheet Omer Asik will soon sign with the Houston Rockets, leaving them with the full mid-level exception at their disposal. It would be unfair to expect Mayo to take anything less than that exception – worth around $5 million annually – but even that proposal might not be enough to ink him to a contract.

The Suns had freed up approximately $8-9 million in salary cap space before claiming the recently-amnestied Luis Scola on Sunday. Then, they gave themselves some relief to remain in the hunt for Mayo, Courtney Lee and Shannon Brown by waiving Josh Childress under the amnesty clause. Given the fact that Phoenix will almost assuredly be able to offer Mayo a bigger, better deal than the Bulls – as well as a run-and-gun style that’s conducive to scoring and potentially a larger role – the Suns are seemingly the frontrunners for him.

Nevertheless, the question begs: Could the Bulls work out a sign-and-trade with the Grizzlies? They have reportedly dangled Rip Hamilton and his expiring $5 million deal in trade talks, but it is hard to imagine that a team would want to take on the 34-year-old who looked fragile and had unproductive stretches a season ago. "

"Could the Bulls have really had Mayo?

I still have my doubts that O.J. Mayo is worth the 10+ million a year I thought he would make in the NBA this summer, but what I never had any doubts about was whether he was worth a one year deal the size that Kirk Hinrich had or a three year deal at just over the MLE. Some of these issues are timing, but in an ideal Bulls off-season, they trade Kyle Korver to Atlanta and take O.J. Mayo from Memphis in a sign and trade back.

Of course Mayo would have had to agree to a 3/19 deal vs the 2/8 with the second year being a player option that he did. Assuming he feels he'll get 10 million a year next season, he could ultimately have upside of 3/24 over the first three years instead of 3/19, of course his downside is 2/8 vs 3/19, so it would have been a pretty solid move for him to take the 3/19.

The Bulls could have sent John Lucas to Memphis as well in a sign and trade for the minimum with cash to cover his salary with an agreement in place that the Grizzlies waive him [though then Lucas would have the prospect of some other team waiver claiming his deal, so those details would need to work out] in order to raise the offer to Mayo up to 3/23 which would effectively give him as much upside as what he's likely to achieve on his short one year deal while guaranteeing him more money.

In short, it could have worked out, and the Bulls could have kept Mayo long term if they signed him using the S&T. If they signed him to the one year + player option deal Dallas did the upside is much smaller. Still better than what we did, but we wouldn't be able to retain him long term."

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
I'll just copy pasta it

"O.J. Mayo appears a longshot for Bulls

Yes, Mayo and Derrick Rose are buddies and they’re both part of the same star-studded offseason workout group that trains in Los Angeles. Unless Mayo elects to accept a pay cut while taking the Bulls’ long-term potential into account, however, Chicago doesn’t appear to be his landing spot.

As it stands, the Bulls would likely have a shot to acquire Mayo if they choose not to match the lucrative offer sheet Omer Asik will soon sign with the Houston Rockets, leaving them with the full mid-level exception at their disposal. It would be unfair to expect Mayo to take anything less than that exception – worth around $5 million annually – but even that proposal might not be enough to ink him to a contract.

The Suns had freed up approximately $8-9 million in salary cap space before claiming the recently-amnestied Luis Scola on Sunday. Then, they gave themselves some relief to remain in the hunt for Mayo, Courtney Lee and Shannon Brown by waiving Josh Childress under the amnesty clause. Given the fact that Phoenix will almost assuredly be able to offer Mayo a bigger, better deal than the Bulls – as well as a run-and-gun style that’s conducive to scoring and potentially a larger role – the Suns are seemingly the frontrunners for him.

Nevertheless, the question begs: Could the Bulls work out a sign-and-trade with the Grizzlies? They have reportedly dangled Rip Hamilton and his expiring $5 million deal in trade talks, but it is hard to imagine that a team would want to take on the 34-year-old who looked fragile and had unproductive stretches a season ago. "

"Could the Bulls have really had Mayo?

I still have my doubts that O.J. Mayo is worth the 10+ million a year I thought he would make in the NBA this summer, but what I never had any doubts about was whether he was worth a one year deal the size that Kirk Hinrich had or a three year deal at just over the MLE. Some of these issues are timing, but in an ideal Bulls off-season, they trade Kyle Korver to Atlanta and take O.J. Mayo from Memphis in a sign and trade back.

Of course Mayo would have had to agree to a 3/19 deal vs the 2/8 with the second year being a player option that he did. Assuming he feels he'll get 10 million a year next season, he could ultimately have upside of 3/24 over the first three years instead of 3/19, of course his downside is 2/8 vs 3/19, so it would have been a pretty solid move for him to take the 3/19.

The Bulls could have sent John Lucas to Memphis as well in a sign and trade for the minimum with cash to cover his salary with an agreement in place that the Grizzlies waive him [though then Lucas would have the prospect of some other team waiver claiming his deal, so those details would need to work out] in order to raise the offer to Mayo up to 3/23 which would effectively give him as much upside as what he's likely to achieve on his short one year deal while guaranteeing him more money.

In short, it could have worked out, and the Bulls could have kept Mayo long term if they signed him using the S&T. If they signed him to the one year + player option deal Dallas did the upside is much smaller. Still better than what we did, but we wouldn't be able to retain him long term."

Paste the link with this please.

I read the article, it was written a week after the Bulls had signed Kirk Hinrich. So instead of going hard after the target you say they wanted badly(Mayo), they signed kirk and made Mayo an incredible longshot that required multiple dominos from multiple teams to fall. The article even cites "As it stands, the Bulls would likely have a shot to acquire Mayo if they choose not to match the lucrative offer sheet Omer Asik will soon sign with the Houston Rockets, leaving them with the full mid-level exception at their disposal.". They didnt match, and they still didnt go after Mayo.

Like i said, they cast their lot with Kirk. Its unfortunate, but it is what they did.

The way I understand it is that The Bulls offered the Grizzlies a sign and trade and it didn't work out. The only way they could get him was through a S&T. And we all know the luck the Bulls have had working out trades with the Grizzlies...

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:28 PM)
The way I understand it is that The Bulls offered the Grizzlies a sign and trade and it didn't work out. The only way they could get him was through a S&T. And we all know the luck the Bulls have had working out trades with the Grizzlies...

I think that is only the speculation from the article. Mayo ended up signing 2/8 mil, second year being player option. I think the Bulls could have paid that without a S&T

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
I think that is only the speculation from the article. Mayo ended up signing 2/8 mil, second year being player option. I think the Bulls could have paid that without a S&T

Kirk signed for 2/8, so, yeah.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
Ah, I was under the impression it was 2/6M, but still 2 million shouldn't be the deal breaker

I think they originally offered him 2/6, or the mini-MLE in other words. That would have allowed them to go over the apron to keep Asik, though obviously that means paying the luxury tax. Once they let Asik walk, they ended up giving him more than that and using part of the MLE (like $3.9 mil this year) to sign him. I don't think they could have gone any higher because they have to stay under the apron to be able to use that exception. Mayo is making like $4.02 mil this year, so it's slightly higher. That said, if they'd gone after Mayo right away, one has to think that the 100k difference wouldn't have been a major factor.

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 06:43 PM)
This article is nothing new. Wojnarowski wrote literally the same article back in the offseason, saying the same stuff. Love's stance hasn't changed (obviously). If the Timberwolves win games and become a legit playoff team, Love is going nowhere. If they struggle and miss the playoffs regularly, he'll opt out. We've known this all along.

In 3 years, Love opting out might start encouraging them to do something. That'll be a great help to the 2016-2017 Bulls.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)
I think they originally offered him 2/6, or the mini-MLE in other words. That would have allowed them to go over the apron to keep Asik, though obviously that means paying the luxury tax. Once they let Asik walk, they ended up giving him more than that and using part of the MLE (like $3.9 mil this year) to sign him. I don't think they could have gone any higher because they have to stay under the apron to be able to use that exception. Mayo is making like $4.02 mil this year, so it's slightly higher. That said, if they'd gone after Mayo right away, one has to think that the 100k difference wouldn't have been a major factor.

That would have kept them from signing Nate Robinson. Not like a big deal, but just for completion.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 11:24 PM)
If the world doesn't end in 2012, I guess. There's a chance we buy him out sooner

We are a half hour away from escaping apocalypse, I think we will make it.

Everything I have read indicates it is in Mirotics best interest to wait until at least 2015 in order to escape the rookie wage scale. The buyout doesn't matter

I hope I am wrong, I would love to see him stateside