7/10 game

danman31

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
Kanny lost 2-0

Johnson 5 innings and 1 run, but 4 walks. Other than that not much other than Walker picked up stolen base No. 39.

You think Walker could get to 70 stolen bases before the season ends? He did miss 20 or so games on the DL, so he could have had 5-10 more had he been healthy the entire season.

Edited by JPN366

I don't normally look at the DSL boxes but I did last night

Don't know anything about anyone down there but I looked at one of the relievers who pitched, Yensi Magallanes, and he's put up fantastic numbers. Has a 0.00 ERA through 25.1 IP and has only allowed 12 hits (.150 OPP BA) and 9 walks to 22 strikeouts. He's 19 and a lefty. I'd think there'd be a good chance we'll see him at one of our rookie affiliates or potentially even Kanny next year, no?

DeMichele just keeps hitting.

Soptic is settling down a bit lately.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 07:29 AM)
I don't normally look at the DSL boxes but I did last night

Don't know anything about anyone down there but I looked at one of the relievers who pitched, Yensi Magallanes, and he's put up fantastic numbers. Has a 0.00 ERA through 25.1 IP and has only allowed 12 hits (.150 OPP BA) and 9 walks to 22 strikeouts. He's 19 and a lefty. I'd think there'd be a good chance we'll see him at one of our rookie affiliates or potentially even Kanny next year, no?

Really hard to tell with guys in that league, without knowing more than stats. But I'd think if some teenager who throws left can put up numbers like that in DSL, then yeah, he'll be with an affiliate next year (as long as he's old enough).

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 10, 2012 -> 09:27 PM)
Kanny lost 2-0

Johnson 5 innings and 1 run, but 4 walks. Other than that not much other than Walker picked up stolen base No. 39.

Its good that Johnson is getting experience. Given the injury and his overall slow start since joining the system, nice that he's making progress and getting to work on some of the tweaks the Sox have made to his delivery. The dude has a big league arm and a nice looking slider.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
The dude has a big league arm and a nice looking slider.

Sure sounds like a reliever based on those two things, not that I'm complaining. The Sox have adopted a draft philosophy regarding pitchers that I absolutely love. Take starters with big fastballs. If they can learn a change up and develop the offspeed stuff they can stay a starter. If they can't, that big fastball puts you half way to being a big league reliever. With a guy like Johnson who already has a good slider, you already have something for the pen as a backup plan. Look at Jones and Santiago. Jones had the stuff and just needed to control it. Santiago had the fastball and just needed a secondary pitch (which he got last year). It's a lot of fun to see the Sox draft and develop pitchers currently. Position players, well that's a different story.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
looks like Walker will be in Chicago in september at least as a pinch runner.

He's not on the 40-man roster so that won't happen this year. Maybe in a year or two regarding pinch running. He isn't close to big league ready otherwise.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
Doesn't mean he couldn't be added though, I feel like the Sox 40-man is always around like 38 players.

They're not going to waste a 40-man spot for a guy who doesn't need to be protected and they know won't be in the Majors for three years.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
Its good that Johnson is getting experience. Given the injury and his overall slow start since joining the system, nice that he's making progress and getting to work on some of the tweaks the Sox have made to his delivery. The dude has a big league arm and a nice looking slider.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
Sure sounds like a reliever based on those two things, not that I'm complaining. The Sox have adopted a draft philosophy regarding pitchers that I absolutely love. Take starters with big fastballs. If they can learn a change up and develop the offspeed stuff they can stay a starter. If they can't, that big fastball puts you half way to being a big league reliever. With a guy like Johnson who already has a good slider, you already have something for the pen as a backup plan. Look at Jones and Santiago. Jones had the stuff and just needed to control it. Santiago had the fastball and just needed a secondary pitch (which he got last year). It's a lot of fun to see the Sox draft and develop pitchers currently. Position players, well that's a different story.

Johnson was hitting 95 on the gun too, which is nice to hear after the arm issues.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)

I keep hoping they'll finally hit a crop of position players that pan out/develop. The key with Johnson is whether he can improve his change-up. If he can, great, if he doesn't, like you said, he settles into the bullpen as a power reliever. Given the way the league is going, you can never have too many good, power relievers. Biggest thing that has hard the Sox system has been its inability to develop position players, its lack of spending, and trades. As a whole though, they've actually done quite well in the draft (in comparison to how they've spent, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
I keep hoping they'll finally hit a crop of position players that pan out/develop. The key with Johnson is whether he can improve his change-up. If he can, great, if he doesn't, like you said, he settles into the bullpen as a power reliever. Given the way the league is going, you can never have too many good, power relievers. Biggest thing that has hard the Sox system has been its inability to develop position players, its lack of spending, and trades. As a whole though, they've actually done quite well in the draft (in comparison to how they've spent, etc).

This may be wrong, but...

I don't think it's an inability to draft and develop position players. I think it's a intentional strategy to focus on drafting and developing tradeable assets.

I've thought for some time that the Sox look at minor leaguers simply as assets... and that they see no need for holding a balanced portfolio of different positions.

Instead, they draft a higher concentration of players that have typically have higher trade value (pitchers and centerfielders) assuming they can fill most other positions in other ways.

Most teams draft lots of pitchers, centerfielders and shortstops because those guys can move down a position (to a corner OF or 2B/3B) and still be valuable. If the Sox were trying to build assets to trade you wouldn't go for the boom/bust type because there aren't a lot of teams that would take Trayce Thompson or Keenyn Walker as a centerpiece to a trade right now. You have to hang onto those players until they boom.

Doesn't mean that they draft everyone to trade. In fact, the "asset approach" suggests that they should have some high risk assets/players in their portfolio.

The key of the asset approach that I think is most relevant for fans to understand is that a team using it is not likely to draft and develop players at all positions. Economics suggests that some positions are easier to fill in the major league market than others. Why draft for those positions then? Instead they would opt to overload on players at high value positions that are more expensive to fill via free agency and trades.

An example would be selecting more Jeremy Reeds, refined collegiate players with gaudy statistics who will peak early or put up incredible minor league statistics but who don't project as well tools-wise.

But u can't really say that has been our pattern, especially in recent years.