Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
•Agent Scott Boras said Stephen Strasburg the pitcher is worth $30MM per season “in free agent value.” Ostensibly, Boras was commenting on the Nationals’ decision to cap the right-hander’s innings, but it’s interesting to see how Boras values Strasburg. In case you’re wondering, the Nationals control his rights through 2016.

Laughable. I wonder if he will even make it to free agency without another ligament tear of some type.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
•Agent Scott Boras said Stephen Strasburg the pitcher is worth $30MM per season “in free agent value.” Ostensibly, Boras was commenting on the Nationals’ decision to cap the right-hander’s innings, but it’s interesting to see how Boras values Strasburg. In case you’re wondering, the Nationals control his rights through 2016.

So it looks like Boras wants Strasburg in Yankee pinstripes

31. (NR) Chris Sale, SP, Chicago White Sox – Under Team Control through 2016.

Dave Cameron's (Fangraphs.com) TRADE VALUE

31. Chris Sale

Sale’s conversion to the rotation couldn’t have gone any better — that is, unless you take away that whole two week blip where the White Sox were moving him back to the bullpen because his arm hurt before changing their minds. That incident has to raise some concern, but it’s still too hard to ignore what Sale has done as a dominant starting pitcher this year. A 77 xFIP- as a starting pitcher in the AL shows just how good he has been even if you regress his BABIP and HR/FB rates, and the White Sox still have another year where they can pay him peanuts before arbitration even kicks in. The drastic loss in velocity and the whole starter-reliever-starter thing would probably serve as red flags for some team, especially given his slender frame, but he’s pitching at a level where you accept some risk in order to get this kind of performance, especially from a 23-year-old making the league minimum.

21. (NR) Gio Gonzalez, SP, Washington – Signed through 2018 for $65 million (yikes, the same amount we're paying Danks)

I wasn’t a big fan of the Gio Gonzalez trade for the Nationals, but kudos to Mike Rizzo and his staff for anticipating the breakout pitching star of 2012 and getting him while they still could. Gio’s velocity is up and he’s throwing first pitch strikes, which has led to a huge spike in strikeout rate and a reduction in walks, and the overall package has seen Gio pitch like a legitimate ace. His command is still not fantastic, and previous history suggests that he may not be able to keep this up forever, but Gonzalez looks like a better pitcher than I gave him credit for over the winter. To boot, the contract Washington signed him to now looks like a pretty big steal, as he would have been in for a hefty raise via arbitration, but is now looking at a salary of just $6 million in 2013 with manageable raises for the following three seasons, and then two team options at the end of that. There’s room for Gonzalez to regress and still be worth the contract, and if he keeps pitching like he is right now, he’ll be a huge steal for years to come.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/2...de-value-25-21/

41. S. Castro

31. Sale

21. Gio

20. Price

19. Bumgarner

18. Cabrera, Miguel

17. King Felix

16. Clayton Kershaw

I don't think Kenny Williams is making any moves, specifically in the starting rotation, until he knows the status on Gavin Floyd and John Danks. I'm sure he's holding his breath that Jose Quintano can keep it going, and Sale/Peavy remain healthy, but right now, he's got 3 guys who he has to feel pretty good about, 2 veteran guys, one of whom (Floyd) should be back soon, and 2 other guys (Humber and Axelrod) who are really only needed as either 5th starter or occasional rest for his front line starters. I don't think he's making a major move if he thinks Floyd is fine to go with the Big 3 unless Floyd is part of a deal in getting another pitcher back (highly unlikely) and he probably won't do anything at all if he is confident Danks will be back in mid August.

At that point, it's more or less, tinkering around the edges. They like what they have in a healthy Crain, Thornton and Reed although whether Crain will pith the way he has in the past is probably a question right now so that's probably where you can see the most likely addition - another veteran type who can handle the 7th, 8th and maybe even a 9th inning. If Crain is healthy, an added bonus, and that would be 4 guys late they have confidence in to go with a pretty solid starting rotation.

To a lesser degree is maybe another veteran OF who can play late innings, and maybe be an extra hitter. Maybe a more experience Jordan Danks, but he has been ok so far, so that could be what they stay with.

All in all, it really depends on what they think of Danks/Floyd and the level of confidence they have in the Big 3 maintaining.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
It's going to take some deft GM'ing by KW and I keep going back and forth on what the best combination SP/RP would be. Right now, I'm thinking Liriano/Street and that's if they can get them w/o having to give up Viciedo. Probably not.

What? Why the hell would the Sox give up Dayan Viciedo, their future 3 or 4 hitter, for Huston Street or Francisco Liriano? That would be idiotic.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
And the cycle begins anew.

Well, I know it's "because Juan Pierre is better than Viciedo" according to Marty, but I meant, if KW called those two teams and they asked for Viciedo, I'd hope he didn't share Marty's opinion and would hang up the phone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 07:23 PM)
And the cycle begins anew.

Lol. I'll leave it at that.

Im sold on Annibal Sanchez. I think hed be a great fit for a very reasonable cost. Maybe Ozzie would try to convince him to sabotage our club house though

Street sounds good to me for some lower level prospects. Don't know what else there is on the market in terms of attainable but effecient RP's.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 07:48 PM)
Lol. I'll leave it at that.

Im sold on Annibal Sanchez. I think hed be a great fit for a very reasonable cost. Maybe Ozzie would try to convince him to sabotage our club house though

Street sounds good to me for some lower level prospects. Don't know what else there is on the market in terms of attainable but effecient RP's.

street,krod,putz, would make a lot of sense. dont know what it would take though, all i know is we need someone that can close in case reed cant. hes doing a good job but hes no certainty.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
street,krod,putz, would make a lot of sense. dont know what it would take though, all i know is we need someone that can close in case reed cant. hes doing a good job but hes no certainty.

Sign me up. K-Rod on the books for 8 million this year and the brewers aren't going anywhere, shouldn't cost THAT much.

Trading Viciedo is idiotic and it doesn't matter how many rental players names are come up with, they will all be stupid.

The only ones that make ANY sense are Garza, Hamels and Greinke, and it will be another decade or more before JR agrees to shell out $20-30 million per season on a contract for a pitcher lasting 5 years or longer. So that nullifies all but Garza. But it's the same thing we went through with Hudson for Jackson, 1 1/2 seasons (actually, it was just one because they had to deal him to eat Teahen's ill-advised contract)...trading Viciedo for Garza, then watching him put up 30-40 homers per year along with Rizzo, no thanks.

Danks was a mistake. They're not going to compound it by doubling down.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
Trading Viciedo is idiotic and it doesn't matter how many rental players names are come up with, they will all be stupid.

The only ones that make ANY sense are Garza, Hamels and Greinke, and it will be another decade or more before JR agrees to shell out $20-30 million per season on a contract for a pitcher lasting 5 years or longer. So that nullifies all but Garza. But it's the same thing we went through with Hudson for Jackson, 1 1/2 seasons (actually, it was just one because they had to deal him to eat Teahen's ill-advised contract)...trading Viciedo for Garza, then watching him put up 30-40 homers per year along with Rizzo, no thanks.

QFT

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
Sign me up. K-Rod on the books for 8 million this year and the brewers aren't going anywhere, shouldn't cost THAT much.

hes has like 4mil left

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)

james shields?

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)

Look at his numbers, he has not been good at all. he only got the closers job because somehow Axford has been worse.