Trade Deadline Top Pitching Targets

shago

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 12:13 AM)
Brewers shopping Frankie Rodriquez if willing to eat the $4mill. remaining on his contract. He was just named the closer perhaps to showcase him.

It looks nice and all and could be a great addition of course... He also has a 1.4 WHIP over the past two years. Reed is at 1.2 for the year.

Bring him in to close for us the rest of the way, slide Reed to the setup role, have Crain as the second righty, Thornton as your first lefty... Sounds good to me.

Reed's done a very good job as a rookie, so far.

He definitely hasn't pitched poorly enough to have the job taken away from him.

I would look at KW in the 6th-7th inning Jason Frasor role, basically reinforce or replace Nathan Jones and push him further down in the pecking order.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 03:50 AM)

I would look at KW in the 6th-7th inning Jason Frasor role, basically reinforce or replace Nathan Jones and push him further down in the pecking order.

I know his era is a bit high but I think Omogrosso is going to be a solid bp arm the rest of the way, probably moreso than Jones. Assuming the cost is right another vet arm plus addition of Crain would make our bullpen look very pretty though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 03:50 AM)

i would feel a lot more comfortable with someone like krod or putz, that are capable of pitching in the 8th or 9th. what if reed does falter or crain gets hurt? then we would be looking at crain or thornton in the 9th and jones/frasor in the 8th and i wouldnt trust either of those two against miggy in the 8th

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Johan Santana?

No idea, probably someone from their bullpen, veteran reliever, but don't follow the Mets closely so no idea.

2012 33 New York Mets $24,000,000

2013 34 New York Mets $25,500,000

2014 35 New York Mets *$25,000,000 $25M Team Option, $5.5M Buyout Option becomes player option if criteria is met relating to Cy Young finishes and 2011-2013 innings pitched

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 01:50 AM)

Darren Oliver is supposedly someone the Jays would look at moving. He's been tremendous the past 5 or 6 years and is having a great season. 8.8 K/9 2.3BB/9, ERA under 3 each of the past 5 years- 1.30 this year. Effective against both RHB and LHB's.

Not sure about value, but he's a mid to late innings guy, can't imagine he'd command a top prospect or anything.

White Sox scouts were at the Cubs game last night looking at Sanchez and will be there again tonight to scout Johnson.

I hope we don't make a trade for Johnson, his velocity has been falling this year.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
White Sox scouts were at the Cubs game last night looking at Sanchez and will be there again tonight to scout Johnson.

I hope we don't make a trade for Johnson, his velocity has been falling this year.

Josh Johnson? He's an intriguing name, although the injury concerns are scary.

Glad to see the Sox are exploring all options and trying to make the best deal and not just overpay for their favorite.

Yesterday, Josh Norris tweeted that the White Sox have had scouts at Dellin Betances‘ last three starts for Trenton. He then stated that a source told him that Chicago has “zeroed in” on the big hurler. Betances has been one of the Yankees’ top prospects the last few years, but he has always struggled with his consistency. After going 3-5 with a 6.39 ERA and 5.88 FIP in 16 starts with Empire State, the Yankees finally sent Betances back to Trenton, where he is looking a lot more confident. In Triple-A, Betances was averaging 8.32 BB/9 while picking up 8.56 K/9. In his first three games back in Double-A he has cut his walks way down (3.38 BB/9) while continuing to strike out batters (9.64 K/9).

Norris had no insight into who the White Sox would be willing to give up for Betances, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees were willing to part with him for the right deal. Could this be the end of another Killer B in Pinstripes?

Update (Brien): My general rule on this sort of thing is that anytime a reporter the caliber of Norris is being told that there’s serious interest in a player from a team, there’s at least a decent chance something will happen. That said, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for news of a deal between the Yankees and White Sox this year. Like Tamar, I would think the Yankees would be pretty eager to part with Betances in the right deal these days, but looking at the White Sox roster, there just aren’t any obvious fits for a deal between the two teams. From the Yankees’ perspective, getting Matt Thornton or A.J. Pierzynski would be ideal, but neither of those two names are even going to be on the table with the Chi Sox in the thick of the pennant race. As far as a prospect-for-prospect swap, the White Sox system is pretty bare at the moment, but I suppose it’s possible there are some guys there that the Yankees’ scouts are high on and would be willing to swap Betances for.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
Yesterday, Josh Norris tweeted that the White Sox have had scouts at Dellin Betances‘ last three starts for Trenton. He then stated that a source told him that Chicago has “zeroed in” on the big hurler. Betances has been one of the Yankees’ top prospects the last few years, but he has always struggled with his consistency. After going 3-5 with a 6.39 ERA and 5.88 FIP in 16 starts with Empire State, the Yankees finally sent Betances back to Trenton, where he is looking a lot more confident. In Triple-A, Betances was averaging 8.32 BB/9 while picking up 8.56 K/9. In his first three games back in Double-A he has cut his walks way down (3.38 BB/9) while continuing to strike out batters (9.64 K/9).

Norris had no insight into who the White Sox would be willing to give up for Betances, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees were willing to part with him for the right deal. Could this be the end of another Killer B in Pinstripes?

Update (Brien): My general rule on this sort of thing is that anytime a reporter the caliber of Norris is being told that there’s serious interest in a player from a team, there’s at least a decent chance something will happen. That said, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for news of a deal between the Yankees and White Sox this year. Like Tamar, I would think the Yankees would be pretty eager to part with Betances in the right deal these days, but looking at the White Sox roster, there just aren’t any obvious fits for a deal between the two teams. From the Yankees’ perspective, getting Matt Thornton or A.J. Pierzynski would be ideal, but neither of those two names are even going to be on the table with the Chi Sox in the thick of the pennant race. As far as a prospect-for-prospect swap, the White Sox system is pretty bare at the moment, but I suppose it’s possible there are some guys there that the Yankees’ scouts are high on and would be willing to swap Betances for.

He just sounds like a Cooper reclamation project.

QUOTE (That funky motion @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)

In a heartbeat, Thornton + prospect for Betances.

Turn around and trade for someone like Darren Oliver to replace Matt.

Plus, that gives us some payroll flexibility jettisoning Thornton's salary.

I love your idea..

I'd love to have several Yankees prospects. Mason Williams is going to be awesome

Pierre has been getting on base against RH'ers in 2012 much better than Viciedo. At the very least, he'd be a cheap insurance policy.

That OBP difference is countered by Viciedo having more HR, more RBI, and having a much better arm in LF. Viciedo is also a young talent who is improving and you're risking stunting his growth by platooning him.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Trading offense for pitching seems counterproductive to me...its like plugging one hole and creating another, isn't it?

We cant afford to lose anybody from our line up now

Depends on magnitude. Trading 0.5-1.0 wins of offense + prospects for 2-3 wins of pitching will make a difference. But no, shuffling some offensive value for similar pitching value probably won't.