Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670

White Sox in on conversations regarding Dempster, Liriano, and Greinke. As they ought to be; contention doesn't present itself every year.

Holy s*** if the Sox can get Greinke. We just might have another World Series Championship..

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 11:52 PM)
pick up his 9 million for the remaining contract is our only chance.

I heard Farmer/DJ say today that the Brewers made a $100M extension offer to Greinke. If that's the case, the 9M remaining this year wouldn't be a big deal to them.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 06:10 AM)
Mitchell would be fine. He hasn't impressed me yet and I'm easily impressed.

I think the Cubs would take Flowers and Mitchell for Dempster. That might be overpaying.

It would take more than Mitchell and Flowers at this point.

Mitchell is collapsing, and Flowers just isn't able to make contact with a fastball at all when he plays every 10-15 days.

OTOH, 10 HR's and 52 RBI's is very impressive for someone who plays 1/2 of his game at BIRM, although the .247 average needs to be at least in the .270's or maybe high .260's to look like progress.

Edited by caulfield12

no to making trades with the cubs. and no point in getting greinke because he would just be a rental. i wouldnt give up 5 players or whatever it is they want for two months and his road stats havent been that great since last year

Out of all the starting pitchers that are on the market, Dempster makes the most sense for us (Cub of not). He would be a rental pitcher so there would be no strings attached after this 2012 season. He is having a great year, despite his DL stint (which can benefit us in regards to lowering his trade value). I am assuming they would like to have Mitchell and a couple of our young starters, perhaps Castro or Molina?

Dempster seems more of a reality than Grienke IMO but kudos for KW for at least trying for the "big fish". Its only a matter of time now before he brings us a starter. Stay tuned.

Gotta consider it. If he goes to free agency at end of year, we should be able to get draft pick for him, lessening the prospect price we pay for him. We should be able to identify 5-10 prospects on the no touch list and go from there. I imagine that Sox brass will have an idea if Mitchell can ever make it by now.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 08:27 AM)
Out of all the starting pitchers that are on the market, Dempster makes the most sense for us (Cub of not). He would be a rental pitcher so there would be no strings attached after this 2012 season. He is having a great year, despite his DL stint (which can benefit us in regards to lowering his trade value). I am assuming they would like to have Mitchell and a couple of our young starters, perhaps Castro or Molina?

Dempster seems more of a reality than Grienke IMO but kudos for KW for at least trying for the "big fish". Its only a matter of time now before he brings us a starter. Stay tuned.

Well, if you're the Cubs, u need two corner outfielders, assuming Jackson is the solution in CF.

So Mitchell would make sense, although playing in Wrigley, they undoubtedly need more power hitters like Rizzo and LaHair, and that's something Castro most assuredly is not.

Then again, Mitchell and DeJesus perhaps might be pretty comparable in the end..

Molina can't be traded since he's injured...and Castro would be a decent piece, but I still think they would ask for Jones, too.

It's not impossible that Mitchell and Castro would be enough, but from Theo's standpoint, I'd still want a better/healthy starting pitcher (from the minors), and we don't have one at the moment.

I would ask for Mitchell, Nathan Jones and Trayce Thompson and bargain from there.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Gotta consider it. If he goes to free agency at end of year, we should be able to get draft pick for him, lessening the prospect price we pay for him. We should be able to identify 5-10 prospects on the no touch list and go from there. I imagine that Sox brass will have an idea if Mitchell can ever make it by now.

Not so sure. Would love to see what he is capable of doing in Charlotte's ballpark offensively.

Birmingham is a tough stadium to judge hitters by. And he's got a slew of triples, so he's showing XB power and walk-ability. It's just the contact that has been killing him, but Austin Jackson is a player who had the same problem and he's finally figured it out offensively and everything is clicking for him.

The other consideration is that we could easily be set for at least two more years with Viciedo, DeAza and Rios, so there's no place for him to play.

Although Peavy, Chris Sale and Jose Quintana have formed a reliable threesome, the Sox continue to scout for starting pitching help.

Two sources said they have considered Twins left-hander Francisco Liriano and Brewers ace Zack Greinke, and the Brewers had a top scout at Saturday's game.

Among the other teams with representatives in attendance were the Marlins, Blue Jays and Astros.

But the Sox likely would have to surrender two solid prospects to land a marquee pitcher. And under new rules, teams that acquire players who become free agents aren't eligible for draft compensation if those picks sign elsewhere in 2012.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6957878.story