Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
I think the package to bring Dempster to the Sox is Castro, Jones and a low level prospect...

You have been very active in regard to the rumored Dempster trade, is that speculation or do you have inside info?

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 10:16 PM)
You have been very active in regard to the rumored Dempster trade, is that speculation or do you have inside info?

He does have inside info from the past here on breaking trades, but ima bet this is just speculation to talk about on his end.

I do have some inside info about what is happening. As far as Sox players going to be traded that is speculation on my part.

I know KW really wants another quality pitcher for the rotation and a bullpen arm. Also don't be surprised if we get a utily player in a trade. KW wants an experience hitter coming off the bench.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 10:50 PM)
I asked Fathom; why did you take the time to derail the thread?

Don't let your sense of humor check out.

I don't think the Sox have enough to get Dempster. I think teams will give up too much for him. I could see the Yankees getting him and giving him a contract.

The more I think of it, the Sox are really impressive this year for a team that's strength is suppose t be pitching. There have been so many setbacks, it hard to believe where they are.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 07:39 PM)
Jackson only have 10 or so more strikeouts than Mitchell. Mitchell's home and away strikeout ratio is almost identical. And you can't ignore past seasons where Mitchell struck out 183 times while Jackson strikes out in the 130 range. Mitchell hasn't hit over .250 in a full season, while Jackson has hit .290 and .270. There is really no debate who is the better contact hitter of the two as of now.

Actually I think you CAN ignore past seasons when a player is in the development phase, especially when one suffered an injury that cost ~ 1 1/2 years of development time - the present is where they are as a player.

Jackson's K'ing more in a league that many teams keep their best pitching prospects OUT of and his OPS is down 100 pts in a repeat season, so yes there IS a debate. He had a decent run in the PCL in '11, but relative to their respective leagues, Mitchell has been about as good this season in B'Ham.

But I get your point that the players may be somewhat redundant, and Mitchell may not be attractive until they know what they have or don't have in BJax.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:48 AM)
I've started scouting Twitter and other message boards for info from k0na (who has broken trades/signings in the past), and nothing from him yet.

Good work gumshoe

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
I think the package to bring Dempster to the Sox is Castro, Jones and a low level prospect...

That would be overpaying, and I don't think it will take that much to get him. We're talking about 2.5 months of a pitcher, even if he is a really, really good one right now.

I'll stick with what I've been saying all along - he can probably be had for a placeholder in the rotation (i.e. Axelrod), a close-to-ready prospect not named Castro (Perdro Hernandez comes to mind), and possibly some boom/bust or lower level guy.

Alternately, maybe Axelrod plus Mitchell.

But no way on Castro (the Sox' best current pitching prospect) AND Jones (A good young reliever already in the majors), AND another prospect.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:35 AM)
This.

Which is why I'm not giving the world for him.

Sounds like Greinke wants crazy money and is going to test free agency no matter what. I think that and his bizarre personality will turn some teams off. I wouldn't count out the Sox if we're willing to trade Castro. He is pretty much an immediate replacement and has a fairly high upside. I don't know if other teams would offer a prospect as talented and close to the majors. If we combine him with another solid pitching prospect (Rienzo or Johnson) and a solid position playing prospect (Saladino, Thompson, or Walker) we just might have enough to make a fairly interesting offer.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Sounds like Greinke wants crazy money and is going to test free agency no matter what. I think that and his bizarre personality will turn some teams off. I wouldn't count out the Sox if we're willing to trade Castro. He is pretty much an immediate replacement and has a fairly high upside. I don't know if other teams would offer a prospect as talented and close to the majors. If we combine him with another solid pitching prospect (Rienzo or Johnson) and a solid position playing prospect (Saladino, Thompson, or Walker) we just might have enough to make a fairly interesting offer.

I'd do that deal every time.

If we have a contract with Greinke in place.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:46 AM)
That would be overpaying, and I don't think it will take that much to get him. We're talking about 2.5 months of a pitcher, even if he is a really, really good one right now.

I'll stick with what I've been saying all along - he can probably be had for a placeholder in the rotation (i.e. Axelrod), a close-to-ready prospect not named Castro (Perdro Hernandez comes to mind), and possibly some boom/bust or lower level guy.

Any team looking for a starter can easily beat a Axelrod/Mitchell package. I'd think Castro or Rienzo have to go as part of a package to get a pitcher of quality.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
Any team looking for a starter can easily beat a Axelrod/Mitchell package. I'd think Castro or Rienzo have to go as part of a package to get a pitcher of quality.

Like I said earlier, I think because of the new compensation rules, prices might be a little lower than they have in the past.

If Hamels is asking for $23-24 million and 6 years, let's just say, $140 million total value...

Would any team in their right mind offer $120 million for Greinke? Surely, he will get at least $100 million from someone if Danks got $65.

Marty, you're seriously going to tell me that it would be a wise decision for the White Sox to commit that kind of money? That's crazy.

We've seen from our experience with Quintana and Danks this year (one a total surprise who cost nothing, the other someone who we're searching through insurance paperwork on for a claim) that it's probably not the best idea in the world to take that kind of gamble.

Heck, Rios, Dunn and Peavy have shown the dangers of that kind of gamble. And now Danks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
If Hamels is asking for $23-24 million and 6 years, let's just say, $140 million total value...

Would any team in their right mind offer $120 million for Greinke? Surely, he will get at least $100 million from someone if Danks got $65.

Marty, you're seriously going to tell me that it would be a wise decision for the White Sox to commit that kind of money? That's crazy.

We've seen from our experience with Quintana and Danks this year (one a total surprise who cost nothing, the other someone who we're searching through insurance paperwork on for a claim) that it's probably not the best idea in the world to take that kind of gamble.

Heck, Rios, Dunn and Peavy have shown the dangers of that kind of gamble. And now Danks.

The problem is all the big market teams are going to shy away from Greinke because of his social anxiety disorder or whatever he has. Maybe the Dodgers would offer him something huge, and I know they are a big market team, but SoCal isn't NY or Boston or even Chicago.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)

Castro isn't a top prospect, and not one we can use to get an elite pitcher. Most teams have plenty of guys with a higher minor league rating.