Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
I don't care if it's his first year or fifth year. I also could not care less about his development the rest of this year. A 100+ difference in obp that could be had cheaply is an upgrade worth considering.

So you're willing to give up the production and the arm in LF for a best one more time on base per 10 ABs?

Your ideas are Pierre and Zambrano and you have a problem with KW?

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care if it's his first year or fifth year. I also could not care less about his development the rest of this year. A 100+ difference in obp that could be had cheaply is an upgrade worth considering.

Not in this case, especially when you consider the "upgrade" is Juan Pierre. And you should be concerned about development. It's not just about this year. You have to consider 2013 and beyond. Viciedo is going to be a big part of that. I don't see that allowing Viciedo to play is making the Sox worse. I could see, however, that Pierre roaming left field could.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)
So you're willing to give up the production and the arm in LF for a best one more time on base per 10 ABs?

we're tring to win the division, not give it to the tigers ;)

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:55 PM)

I understand if it's difficult for you to comprehend.

I respectfully disagree. I would much rather have a MUCH younger Viciedo who is developing into a solid power hitter and run producer over Pierre who is much older and is a shell of what he used to be. Viciedo provides this team with extra power. Pierre would provide this team with basehits and a bit of speed- and since we already have that in De Aza, its not necessary.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
Not in this case, especially when you consider the "upgrade" is Juan Pierre. And you should be concerned about development. It's not just about this year. You have to consider 2013 and beyond. Viciedo is going to be a big part of that. I don't see that allowing Viciedo to play is making the Sox worse. I could see, however, that Pierre roaming left field could.

You have a problem with a .385 obp replacing a .278 obp?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
I respectfully disagree. I would much rather have a MUCH younger Viciedo who is developing into a solid power hitter and run producer over Pierre who is much older and is a shell of what he used to be. Viciedo provides this team with extra power. Pierre would provide this team with basehits and a bit of speed- and since we already have that in De Aza, its not necessary.

It's a game of outs, and Viciedo makes too many of them against RH'ers.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
You have a problem with a .385 obp replacing a .278 obp?

When the guy with the .385 OBP also has a 50 point lower OPS and makes a ton of useless outs on the bases? Yes I do.

That's not even to mention that Viciedo is a developing player, with Pierre is a fading player. Or the fact that Viciedo is already a better LF than Pierre is. Or the fact that Viciedo is FREE because the team already has him. Or the fact that Viciedo's potential is so much higher.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...r-greinke-derby

The surprising White Sox now have Zack Greinke on their radar, scoures said.

The first-place White Sox have established themselves as the favorite in the A.L. Central to the surprise of many, and they are said to be hoping to make another second big splash on the trade market. Their trade for third baseman kevin Youkilis has been a major hit.

The Braves, Angels, Rangers, Orioles and other also are expected to be in the Greinke derby.

Gavin Floyd's start was push back due to an elbow issue, and John Danks has had injury concerns this year as well. So the White Sox clearly want another starter. The White Sox also would like to add a veteran reliever.

Greinke's scheduled start Wednesday was pushed back, but sources familiar with the situation say he isn't hurt. Brewers GM Doug Melvin told Foxsports.com they just want to "recharge his batteries.''

The Brewers have some hope to stay in the race, but sources suggest their chances to re-sign Greinke are very slim.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
It's a game of outs, and Viciedo makes too many of them against RH'ers.

Yep, and this is his third year anyway, he's not a rookie anymore. I mean, if you don't have the start of a Trout or Harper, you can't compete in this game. Those guys are typical, right?

Wow.

Let's please get the thread back on topic, and Marty, please start a Viciedo Sucks thread so we can avoid your unique blend of fantasy and impatience, if we choose.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
When the guy with the .385 OBP also has a 50 point lower OPS and makes a ton of useless outs on the bases? Yes I do.

That's not even to mention that Viciedo is a developing player, with Pierre is a fading player. Or the fact that Viciedo is already a better LF than Pierre is. Or the fact that Viciedo is FREE because the team already has him. Or the fact that Viciedo's potential is so much higher.

2012:

Viciedo's OPS v. RH .689

Pierre's OPS v RH .814

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick

A scout told me to watch #whitesox at deadline because Kenny Williams has "no fear.'' He also has MLB's 30th ranked farm system.

And also just set a record for contributing rookies on a big league ballclub. Keep ranking our farm system morons.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:26 PM)
I am really starting to think farm systems are predicated on one or two players and are a good amount of PR by teams.

I don't think there's any doubt about this. Overrated prospects mean better return in trades, so why not do it?

Putz would be terrific.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:29 PM)
I don't think there's any doubt about this. Overrated prospects mean better return in trades, so why not do it?

Putz would be terrific.

The rate them by perspective "star" players. However we've apparently found value in contributing depth players with possibly some stars coming in a few years. Not the 30th ranked system.