Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
You must have very little idea how the trade market works. Normally, you have to give something of value to get something of value in return.

Viciedo makes too many outs, has huge holes in his swing and best case scenerio will develop into a 5,6 or 7 hitter. That's your scouting report. How is that giving up something of value?

For a guy who loves to tell people they don't know much, you're pretty clueless.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
I don't know what you can get out of this. Maybe wishful thinking, I don't know.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosen...,2797357.column

I really have no inside info, just a brother-in-law who works in sports at WTMJ in Milwaukee and he texted yesterday to say he was surprised to hear the Sox are aggressively after Greinke. Maybe just kicking the tires like everybody else?

Sounds like the Cubs are going to get some good offers on Dempster, and I could see the Tigers making a big splash by getting Barney as well and sending back the likes of Turner and Castellanos. Talk about a game changer...

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 05:09 PM)
I really have no inside info, just a brother-in-law who works in sports at WTMJ in Milwaukee and he texted yesterday to say he was surprised to hear the Sox are aggressively after Greinke. Maybe just kicking the tires like everybody else?

Sounds like the Cubs are going to get some good offers on Dempster, and I could see the Tigers making a big splash by getting Barney as well and sending back the likes of Turner and Castellanos. Talk about a game changer...

Castellanos should have more value than both Dempster and Barney combined. He'd be an amazing return for the Cubs.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)

I'm assuming you mean Garza AND Barney.

That would make a LOT more sense.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)

Phil Rodgers thinks the Brewers want Floyd for Grienke. That still makes them a short a starter.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)
Phil Rodgers thinks the Brewers want Floyd for Grienke. That still makes them a short a starter.

The only way the White Sox get Greinke is through trading from the current roster, there just isn't a headliner in the minors. Does the Brewers moving Greinke result in a full blown rebuild or do they think they can contend next year with the pieces they get back in this trade? If they think they can re-tool, then guys like Dyan Viciedo, Nate Jones, Gordon Beckham and Jose Quintana are on the block. Gavin Floyd, if healthy, could be in the mix as well as an innings eater type who could have some value in a package deal, but only if Milwaukee wants to re-tool, not rebuild.

If the White Sox moved Quintana, Viciedo Floyd, and a minor league is that enough or Quintana, Viciedo, Jones and one of the better prospects? I'm also assuming the White Sox don't trade for Greinke without signing him to a new deal, 4 or 5 years for $20 million per or is that too little/too much? He could replace Peavy's spot in the rotation for next year.

If the White Sox made a deal like this, who plays LF?

The rotation would be Sale, Peavy, Greinke, Humber??, and Alexrod?? Floyd is obviously part if he's here and healthy, Danks could be a factor at some point....Is that enough with basically a 3 man rotation and occasionally a good 4th/5th start? Can they move both Quintana and Floyd?

While Quintana may be having a great year, I do think it's smoke and mirror's, and now is the time to cash in on him. 2 of 3 starts have been bad (the Texas start was great), but another bad start, and then people start wondering if the league has figured out his magic.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 12:20 PM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Done, in a heartbeat.

Yep. But does that gain much for the Sox? Replaces Floyd with a better pitcher, but then they're still a pitcher short.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 01:14 PM)
Yep. But does that gain much for the Sox? Replaces Floyd with a better pitcher, but then they're still a pitcher short.

Short term, yes. Humber is back. It doesn't sound like Floyd will be out long. Danks, no idea.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Short term, yes. Humber is back. It doesn't sound like Floyd will be out long. Danks, no idea.

Oh yeah. So your could have a rotation of Peavy, Sale, Greinke, Humber, and Quintana. If Danks comes back, he takes the place of Humber or Quintana if they falter. Or you have a six man rotation. Or you realize that this is all coming from Rodgers and forget about it.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
The only way the White Sox get Greinke is through trading from the current roster, there just isn't a headliner in the minors. Does the Brewers moving Greinke result in a full blown rebuild or do they think they can contend next year with the pieces they get back in this trade? If they think they can re-tool, then guys like Dyan Viciedo, Nate Jones, Gordon Beckham and Jose Quintana are on the block. Gavin Floyd, if healthy, could be in the mix as well as an innings eater type who could have some value in a package deal, but only if Milwaukee wants to re-tool, not rebuild.

If the White Sox moved Quintana, Viciedo Floyd, and a minor league is that enough or Quintana, Viciedo, Jones and one of the better prospects? I'm also assuming the White Sox don't trade for Greinke without signing him to a new deal, 4 or 5 years for $20 million per or is that too little/too much? He could replace Peavy's spot in the rotation for next year.

The rotation would be Sale, Peavy, Greinke, Humber??, and Alexrod?? Floyd is obviously part if he's here and healthy, Danks could be a factor at some point....Is that enough with basically a 3 man rotation and occasionally a good 4th/5th start? Can they move both Quintana and Floyd?

While Quintana may be having a great year, I do think it's smoke and mirror's, and now is the time to cash in on him. 2 of 3 starts have been bad (the Texas start was great), but another bad start, and then people start wondering if the league has figured out his magic.

i dont think they need or have a spot for viciedo, unless they put hart at first and viciedo in right. not sure about that. anyways, i prefer shields because of his contract. makes more sense

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)

O RLY?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
Done, in a heartbeat.

^^^^

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 12:19 PM)
Oh yeah. So your could have a rotation of Peavy, Sale, Greinke, Humber, and Quintana. If Danks comes back, he takes the place of Humber or Quintana if they falter. Or you have a six man rotation. Or you realize that this is all coming from Rodgers and forget about it.

:lolhitting

but seriously, if Floyd is in the deal that should save you from including another starting player on the MLB roster. Given the precarious contract situation, I wouldn't give a lot more than that.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
O RLY?

^^^^

:lolhitting

but seriously, if Floyd is in the deal that should save you from including another starting player on the MLB roster. Given the precarious contract situation, I wouldn't give a lot more than that.

There is value in having the player under contract for a year if you are MIL. I doubt anyone else will be offering a right now starting pitcher for Zack. Granted I severely doubt the reality of Rogers worth, but hey, if we are delving into fantasy, I'll pack Floyd and wait for Grienke at the airport.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)

You're f***ing crazy if you think they'd get Floyd, Viciedo, Quintana, and a prospect for 2 months of Greinke. That's about the same as was given up for Latos, who was under control for several seasons.