Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
How many starting pitchers do we need exactly?

I know what you're saying, but who knows what type of a rotation we could have in September?

Danks - ?

Peavy - Not pitched a full season in a while, dead arm ?

Sale - dead arm ?

Quintana - dead arm?

Humber - ?

Floyd - ?

Liriano - ?

When you think about it, the safest bet of the bunch might be Lariano. If I can pick up one more starter at a reasonable price it could mean an extra victory or 2. It might even mean that we would have a starter who could actually, you know.....pitch come playoff time.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
I don't know. 6 or 7. Get Dempster for a couple sucky low level prospects with low ceilings, trade Floyd and Beckham for an upgrade at 2nd base. I think that could be a plan.

I would trust Floyd over Dempster. I don't think I want a NL guy who has to learn the AL this late in the game.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
I know what you're saying, but who knows what type of a rotation we could have in September?

Danks - ?

Peavy - Not pitched a full season in a while, dead arm ?

Sale - dead arm ?

Quintana - dead arm?

Humber - ?

Floyd - ?

Liriano - ?

When you think about it, the safest bet of the bunch might be Lariano. If I can pick up one more starter at a reasonable price it could mean an extra victory or 2. It might even mean that we would have a starter who could actually, you know.....pitch come playoff time.

They should shelve Danks. They've got money invested in him. How much could he help this season? Too much risk unless the Sox were 10 games up.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
I would trust Floyd over Dempster. I don't think I want a NL guy who has to learn the AL this late in the game.

He wouldn't have to learn, just trust the catcher (AJ Zynski or Austin Flowers). Pitchers should have advantage over hitters when neither has faced one another before. Peavy did great in his first few starts when he transferred from NL to AL.

Holmes on Score said somebody about Dempster woke up from a nap and was told that he was traded. Even though Demp never was told about trade. Sounded like Pubbies management didn't handle it well. Hopefully Demp hates the management over on the Northslide.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
3-team race for Dempster now between the Dodgers, Rangers, & Yankees

Makes sense both ways. If its BS, its an attempt to get the Dodgers to up their offer. If its true, its 3 teams with a legit shot to win this year. I'm thinking Dempster doesn't want to go to Atlanta because he doesn't like their chances.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
The case was filed in March, 2012D003142, not sure why its news.

The story supposedly is that Dempster's in-laws are in Atlanta and there were questions about where the kids would be if they were in Atlanta. Whether any of it is true, who knows. He apparently doesn't want to deal with it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Makes sense both ways. If its BS, its an attempt to get the Dodgers to up their offer. If its true, its 3 teams with a legit shot to win this year. I'm thinking Dempster doesn't want to go to Atlanta because he doesn't like their chances.

Now the Yankees are saying that it is BS, they are not going after him. And the world keeps turning...

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:25 AM)
Now the Yankees are saying that it is BS, they are not going after him. And the world keeps turning...

Both NY's and TEXAS interest in BS, it's classic Theo stirring up interest to get this deal done. Theo is getting nervous with LA closing in on Victorino. Texas would be better off with Ogondo in the rotation then Demps and I don't think the Yanks would be interested in Dempster pitching in the AL East. Everyone is saying Dempster won't come to the Sox, well he sure as hell won't stay with the Cubs after everything. If Theo has a decent package from KW and LA says no deal, I think Dempster would accept a deal to stay in Chicago and enter a playoff chase. If LA doesn't pull the trigger I could easily see KW swooping in

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
Both NY's and TEXAS interest in BS, it's classic Theo stirring up interest to get this deal done. Theo is getting nervous with LA closing in on Victorino. Texas would be better off with Ogondo in the rotation then Demps and I don't think the Yanks would be interested in Dempster pitching in the AL East. Everyone is saying Dempster won't come to the Sox, well he sure as hell won't stay with the Cubs after everything. If Theo has a decent package from KW and LA says no deal, I think Dempster would accept a deal to stay in Chicago and enter a playoff chase. If LA doesn't pull the trigger I could easily see KW swooping in

I get the impression he'd be content just playing out his contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
I get the impression he'd be content just playing out his contract.

I just think with him being public enemy number one for Cubs fans right now he wants to get the hell out of dodge. This whole dragging his feet till today I don't blame him. You don't get the power many times as a player so why not use it when you have it. If I were him and could wait and see which teams I could go play for I would. And if a team that my best friend played for was interested I would probably wait for them to. With that being said, if things don't pan out in LA I don't see Demps staying with the Cubs while they are absolutely miserable the next two months. The team will be a bunch of minor leaguers. Say what you will about Ryan, he may be a cub but like all players you want a chance to WIN and ultimately that will win out with Ryan if he doesn't ends up in La

will be interesting to see the prospect that goes. Sounds like Cubs got some good prospects in the 2 deals last night, but their hope for Dempster was a top prospect, if they don't get Webster or the other name that is slipping my mind Dempster kind of screwed them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 12:53 PM)
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Serious game of chicken between the Dodgers& Cubs on Dempster right now...Cubs believed to have found another team..LA blinks or loses him

I don't believe LA even really wants him - it's just that Dempster really wants LA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Serious game of chicken between the Dodgers& Cubs on Dempster right now...Cubs believed to have found another team..LA blinks or loses him

Go K.W. !