Shooting in CO at Batman premiere

Joxer_Daly

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 11:01 AM)
I carry off duty when I feel like it might be necessary. It didn't seem like a big to-do to wear it to ease other people's minds a day after a tragic shooting.

Did you mess with them and wear turban as well?

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
As a policeman, why do you think the gunman wasn't shot and killed by the cops in the parking lot? Was the guy standing against his car? I'd think any one sign of resistance by the guy or his moving his hands to detonate a bomb or something would have resulted in the guy getting blown away. I wish he'd have been killed on the spot.

I'm amazed at the "coddling" culture you mention.

The same parents who were not coddled and even got slugged by a brother at say, Brother Rice, are now the ones coddling their own kids and making sure they play for teams that get trophies for going 0-10 during the season.

The same parents who were able to roam the streets of Chicago unsupervised until dark and play baseball or hockey with their friends at the park all day, now have to be supervised entirely lest they get kidnapped or something.

I don't understand how a generation that was not coddled has been the biggest culprit in coddling kids the last 30 years or so.

This isn't an easy thing to live with for most people, including police officers.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
This isn't an easy thing to live with for most people, including police officers.

I just have a lot of hatred for this coward.

He enters a movie theatre with enough ammo to blow away a small army and all the people in the theatre including women and children have no ammo of their own.

Yes I wish he had been blown to smithereens. He doesn't deserve to live.

However, from what I've heard, his days in solitary confinement should be very good punishment as well. I hope this creep realizes he'll be sitting in a tiny cell with no TV and be able to get out of that cell maybe one hour a day the rest of his life.

Have fun, coward.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:42 PM)
Im amazed at the "coddling" culture you mention.

The same parents who were not coddled and even got slugged by a brother at say, Brother Rice, are now the ones coddling their own kids and making sure they play for teams that get trophies for going 0-10 during the season.

The same parents who were able to roam the streets of Chicago unsupervised until dark and play baseball or hockey with their friends at the park all day, now have to be supervised entirely lest they get kidnapped or something.

I don't understand how a generation that was not coddled has been the biggest culprit in coddling kids the last 30 years or so.

Great point, Greg. I take it your a Chicagoan relocated in Lawrence?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
As a policeman, why do you think the gunman wasn't shot and killed by the cops in the parking lot? Was the guy standing against his car? I'd think any one sign of resistance by the guy or his moving his hands to detonate a bomb or something would have resulted in the guy getting blown away. I wish he'd have been killed on the spot.

I'm amazed at the "coddling" culture you mention.

Secularism.

Also watch

. This is not really an answer or anything but it talks about how culture has changed and what it created.

I have seen responses to web blogs where people refer to kids these days as the "spare the rod generation" referring to parents trying to be their kid's friend instead of being a...parent. When I was a kid that last choice in my world for friends would be my parents.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)

Said that before, people don't realize it.

Also, some of the people here talking about how easy it would be to shoot the guy in a dark theater are deluded by Hollywood. Ain't that easy.

And go greg775... If the cops got there and the guy is just standing there, and he complies with orders to stand down, they'd be in very deep s*** if they shot him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:56 PM)
Also, some of the people here talking about how easy it would be to shoot the guy in a dark theater are deluded by Hollywood. Ain't that easy.

I think Balta already pointed this out, or maybe it was someone else, but the North Hollywood bank robbery in the late 90's demonstrates how naive this idea is. In that case, you had two heavily armed and armored gunmen out in broad daylight fighting to get away, not to kill as many as possible. Yet it still took dozens (hundreds?) of trained police officers over an hour to bring them down.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)

Police aren't allowed a margin of error. It's like if someone points a fake or empty gun at a cop, they are suppose to wait to be gunned down before they can react.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
I'm starting to see some deep religious talk here, and some gun control talk. All well and fine. But please keep it civil, and try to keep it apolitical. Otherwise, the thread (or parts of it) will need to be moved to the Buster.

Don't let your imagination run away.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
Police aren't allowed a margin of error. It's like if someone points a fake or empty gun at a cop, they are suppose to wait to be gunned down before they can react.

Very large exaggeration. If a cop comes up on a call like this one, and someone points a gun at them, they would be absolutely and legally justified in firing at them. Apparently that didn't happen here, or else the guy would be ridden with many extra holes.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
I think Balta already pointed this out, or maybe it was someone else, but the North Hollywood bank robbery in the late 90's demonstrates how naive this idea is. In that case, you had two heavily armed and armored gunmen out in broad daylight fighting to get away, not to kill as many as possible. Yet it still took dozens (hundreds?) of trained police officers over an hour to bring them down.

I think that was a turning point in law enforcement since no law enforcement agencies had anything to combat it at that time.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
I think that was a turning point in law enforcement since no law enforcement agencies had anything to combat it at that time.

Was definitely a seminal moment in some ways. Then there was the tank in San Diego. That was truly beyond any law enforcement capability, and brought into question a possible exception to the laws against use of military power against civilians.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
Very large exaggeration. If a cop comes up on a call like this one, and someone points a gun at them, they would be absolutely and legally justified in firing at them. Apparently that didn't happen here, or else the guy would be ridden with many extra holes.

I was referring to a different scenario.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)

It definitely led to an increased militarization and expansion of SWAT teams.

But the point there is that all of these people, including sitting US Senators, saying that one Brave Man with a concealed handgun could have stopped this guy are just being pretty damn naive.

Greg the guys got rights whether you like it or not. You should be happy to know that no matter what happens this guy will never step on the streets a free man again. Whether he gets off on insanity or not.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:06 PM)
Was definitely a seminal moment in some ways. Then there was the tank in San Diego. That was truly beyond any law enforcement capability, and brought into question a possible exception to the laws against use of military power against civilians.

That was so bizarre. They had to kill the driver.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 03:08 PM)
It definitely led to an increased militarization and expansion of SWAT teams.

But the point there is that all of these people, including sitting US Senators, saying that one Brave Man with a concealed handgun could have stopped this guy are just being pretty damn naive.

That's about as bad as "if no one has a gun that wouldn't have happened". People have other resources other than firearms if they want to hurt people.

It sounds like this guy had some illegal resources.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
That's about as bad as "if no one has a gun that wouldn't have happened". People have other resources other than firearms if they want to hurt people.

It sounds like this guy had some illegal resources.

That's actually a big discussion point right now... did he acquire all the weapons legally, or not? There doesn't seem to be a solid answer yet.

QUOTE (northside sawx @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Great point, Greg. I take it your a Chicagoan relocated in Lawrence?

Yes I played pickup hockey on the park at 111th Street I think it was and I played baseball all the way through at Mt greenwood Little League and Brother Rice til we moved to suburbia. Fortunately not everything was organized by parents in our nice little neighborhood. I wonder if that neighborhood is the same or just like the rest of them now where kids are coddled/protected at all hours of the day/twilight.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
Secularism.

Also watch

!. This is not really an answer or anything but it talks about how culture has changed and what it created.

I have seen responses to web blogs where people refer to kids these days as the "spare the rod generation" referring to parents trying to be their kid's friend instead of being a...parent. When I was a kid that last choice in my world for friends would be my parents.

What is secularism? I have no idea.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 09:56 PM)
Said that before, people don't realize it.

And go greg775... If the cops got there and the guy is just standing there, and he complies with orders to stand down, they'd be in very deep s*** if they shot him.

That's why I was hoping he grabbed for his gun or something so they coulda killed him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
I'm surprised the shooter didn't kill himself. I wonder if that was the plan and maybe the cops caught him off guard.

Or he's just a coward and couldn't pull the trigger on himself. What a punk. I hope he enjoys solitary confinement. Dumbass.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 10:08 PM)
Greg the guys got rights whether you like it or not. You should be happy to know that no matter what happens this guy will never step on the streets a free man again. Whether he gets off on insanity or not.

I like that, but I don't see why he has many rights at all. Again, there is NO DOUBT he's the killer. To me that turns him into scum not anybody who has any rights. If there was any doubt, sure. The guy is such a coward I just wish I was allowed to hit him in the face with a baseball bat.

Again, he's all loaded with ammo and women and children are his victims? Unarmed people? Scumbag.

Edited by greg775

On the other hand, if anyone here has read the Tiger Mother/Amy Chua book, the main moral of the story is that the parenting model has to be something of a "hybrid" between Eastern and Western modes. In the book, she's (the mother) pushed the youngest daughter so hard in piano (the older daughter was forced to learn the violin, or maybe I have it the other way around) that she finally cracks under the pressure as a teenager and her mom relents and lets her quit playing and start tennis instead, after she's invested 10-12 years and tens of thousands of dollars on lessons and experts and tutors in an effort to make her a prodigy.

There's a much higher suicide rate in Asian countries because of all the burden and pressure of expectations from parents, especially when it's an only child. The major difference is countries like China don't allow gun possession by civilians. What happens there most often is disenfranchised men who are lacking in education go into an elementary school and stab children, or maybe there's acid attacks in Hong Kong, another example. Sarin gas in Tokyo, the AUM religious cult.

The difference between pushing someone and abusing someone, is a very very fine line. Look at how kids who grew up in systems like this turned out as adults, for example, Tiger Woods, the Williams sisters or Todd Marinovich. Parents need to remember their reasons for pushing kids, and think about what's really in their best interest. Kids don't exist to make the parents look better, that's not the way it works.

The other thing is that fewer and fewer kids are playing organized sports...PE budgets are being cut back or don't even exist, as well as areas like art and music. Kids are content to just play on their cell phones or laptops and hardly ever exercise anymore (the majority).

If there's any one difference that always strikes me about the US vs. Asia, it's that every time I go out to eat, 60-75% of the customers are fat or obese. In Asian countries, you always never see that. If you do see someone who's overweight in middle or high school, they're teased or bullied unmercifully about it by their classmates. Is that better? Where people are blunt/honest and say whatever they think or feel instead of holding things back for fear of hurting someone's feelings? Who knows? It's a question I still haven't found the answer to as a teacher trained in the political correctness of the "West" but sometimes horrified by the behavior of parents in the "East."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
I like that, but I don't see why he has many rights at all. Again, there is NO DOUBT he's the killer. To me that turns him into scum not anybody who has any rights. If there was any doubt, sure. The guy is such a coward I just wish I was allowed to hit him in the face with a baseball bat.

Again, he's all loaded with ammo and women and children are his victims? Unarmed people? Scumbag.

Because every single person in the country is innocent until proven guilty. End of story. If you take away someone's right's because they "without a doubt did it" then you remove one of the basic principles this country was founded on and enter into a very scary territory where the government can say you did anything throw you behind bars and you're f***ed without rights or a trial.

Basically the reason this guy gets a trial is because this country is awesome and should continue to stay awesome.

Edited by kev211

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
On the other hand, if anyone here has read the Tiger Mother/Amy Chua book, the main moral of the story is that the parenting model has to be something of a "hybrid" between Eastern and Western modes. In the book, she's (the mother) pushed the youngest daughter so hard in piano (the older daughter was forced to learn the violin, or maybe I have it the other way around) that she finally cracks under the pressure as a teenager and her mom relents and lets her quit playing and start tennis instead, after she's invested 10-12 years and tens of thousands of dollars on lessons and experts and tutors in an effort to make her a prodigy.

There's a much higher suicide rate in Asian countries because of all the burden and pressure of expectations from parents, especially when it's an only child. The major difference is countries like China don't allow gun possession by civilians. What happens there most often is disenfranchised men who are lacking in education go into an elementary school and stab children, or maybe there's acid attacks in Hong Kong, another example. Sarin gas in Tokyo, the AUM religious cult.

The difference between pushing someone and abusing someone, is a very very fine line. Look at how kids who grew up in systems like this turned out as adults, for example, Tiger Woods, the Williams sisters or Todd Marinovich. Parents need to remember their reasons for pushing kids, and think about what's really in their best interest. Kids don't exist to make the parents look better, that's not the way it works.

The other thing is that fewer and fewer kids are playing organized sports...PE budgets are being cut back or don't even exist, as well as areas like art and music. Kids are content to just play on their cell phones or laptops and hardly ever exercise anymore (the majority).

If there's any one difference that always strikes me about the US vs. Asia, it's that every time I go out to eat, 60-75% of the customers are fat or obese. In Asian countries, you always never see that. If you do see someone who's overweight in middle or high school, they're teased or bullied unmercifully about it by their classmates. Is that better? Where people are blunt/honest and say whatever they think or feel instead of holding things back for fear of hurting someone's feelings? Who knows? It's a question I still haven't found the answer to as a teacher trained in the political correctness of the "West" but sometimes horrified by the behavior of parents in the "East."

You really are the king of tangents.