Shooting in CO at Batman premiere

Joxer_Daly

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joxer_Daly @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 04:06 AM)
Jesus, just overheard on the radio in work here that there were ten killed and 30-40 wounded in a shooting at a screening of this in Denver.

Terrible stuff.

Prayers for all those affected.

Apparently the guy tried to dress like Bane.

Sick f***er.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-....html?hpt=hp_t1

They've revised the death toll (for now) down from 14-15 to 12. 38 injured.

Columbine was on April 20th (1999), this one was July 20th. Of course, that one involved two shooters, who ended up dead, and they had 17 total victims if I remember correctly.

If you remember your 90's history, there were those three events, the Branch Davidian/David Koresh/Waco fire (April 19, 1993), the Oklahoma City bombing by McVeigh (April 19th, 1995)...and then Columbine four years later.

I'm guessing there's probably more connection with the Batman premiere and Bane than anything to do with Columbine, though.

Apparently the shooter was 24 years old and his car had Tennessee plates. Had an apartment there in Aurora.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
Sigh, it didn't even take a half a day for it to become political too:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/20...-Batman-Tragedy

f*** you, Piers Morgan.

Please keep the politics out of it, I don't want to have to move this thread to the Buster.

No political posts after this point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:02 AM)
Please keep the politics out of it, I don't want to have to move this thread to the Buster.

No political posts after this point.

Saying it's a joke that the issue became political so quickly is political?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
Saying it's a joke that the issue became political so quickly is political?

Linking a laughably partisan website's interperetation of a laughably shallow political talking head's words about it, yes, is a political post. Just leave that s*** out of it, please, or else make a new thread in the Buster.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Linking a laughably partisan website's interperetation of a laughably shallow political talking head's words about it, yes, is a political post. Just leave that s*** out of it, please, or else make a new thread in the Buster.

You knew this was going to eventually break down into a political argument...I don't know why you didn't move it to the buster to begin with...it was inevitable.

Wow.

After the initial disgust with this cowardly piece of s*** and sadness for the victims, the next thought that comes to mind is how occurrences like this are only going to expedite unfortunate changes into the way of life that we know. I hope this doesn't scare people off from going to movies (or similar activities), but I know that it will at least be in the back of some people's minds.

I doubt he was actually dressing up as bane. He used some sort of gas, tear or otherwise, and was apparently wearing a gas mask. He also wore a kevlar vest. I'm guessing this had more to do with knowing the theatre would be packed, than anything with the movie. This has worried me for a while, I remember Chechyan rebels had done this in Russia to just terrifying results. The packed crowd + funneled exits, it's just awful. I've been sick for hours after hearing this.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
I doubt he was actually dressing up as bane. He used some sort of gas, tear or otherwise, and was apparently wearing a gas mask. He also wore a kevlar vest. I'm guessing this had more to do with knowing the theatre would be packed, than anything with the movie. This has worried me for a while, I remember Chechyan rebels had done this in Russia to just terrifying results. The packed crowd + funneled exits, it's just awful. I've been sick for hours after hearing this.

It's just a coincidence...but the gas mask/kevlar vest just happens to be very Bane like.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
Wow.

After the initial disgust with this cowardly piece of s*** and sadness for the victims, the next thought that comes to mind is how occurrences like this are only going to expedite unfortunate changes into the way of life that we know. I hope this doesn't scare people off from going to movies (or similar activities), but I know that it will at least be in the back of some people's minds.

You wonder how many similar incidents would have to take place before you had metal detectors or searches upon entering any movie theatre in the US? Probably a LOT.

It's common, though, in the Philippines.....to be searched (it's a very cursory one, not so thorough) for guns/weapons....when entering a mall. If I had one on my ankle, there's no way they would find it because they just pat you down around the back, front and waist.

The other element of this is with "over the top" production values and marketing, a lot of people thought it was part of the show. The shooter was dressed up like a SWAT member or Bane with a gas mask and came in through an exit door...with the tear gas, until the point they started coughing, choking and tearing up, it would have been plausible to think it was a "value added" performance by a local theatre company to make the premiere even more exciting or entertaining.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis

129 hostages killed, 39 rebels/terrorists

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/j..._n_1688776.html

What kind of parents take children, let alone infants, to a midnight showing of a movie?

IMO, bad ones.

That said, even if they did...they shouldn't have to worry about some sick f*** dressed like Bane/SWAT showering them with bullets.

IMO, bad ones.

That said, even if they did...they shouldn't have to worry about some sick f*** dressed like Bane/SWAT showering them with bullets.

I agree with that completely, and this is clearly a very unusual situation, but in general, something bad is more likely to happen to your children at midnight compared to daylight hours.

Let's not go about blaming victims. Maybe not top parenting but certainly nothing that their child should be shot to death over. Losing their kid is bad enough without moral police pointing fingers.

It will be very interesting to see if they're going to connect this with the movie (Batman/Bane thing) or not.

Depends on what the shooter says.

Feel bad for Christopher Nolan...of course, not nearly to the same extent as my sympathy to the victims and their families, who were trying to ESCAPE from the real world, not be confronted by it in such an arbitrary and capricious way.