2012 AL Pennant Chase

cabiness42

Thanks for keeping this current. I do have one recommendation. To make it cleaner, could you just do a single AL standings with the GB's relative to the Sox position, because in reality, that is all we care about?

Something like this:

AL Standings

*TEX 67-46 +5.0

*NYY 67-47 +4.5

*SOX 62-51 --

TB 62-52 -0.5

BAL 62-53 -1.0

---------------

OAK 61-53 -1.5

DET 61-54 -2.0

LAA 60-55 -3.0

BOS 57-59 -5.5

*Denotes Division Leader

I would rather know we are 1.5 games ahead of the 1st non-playoff team than Oakland being 0.5 out of the last wildcard spot.

Edited by RME JICO

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AL Best Record:

NY Yankees

Texas -½

Tampa Bay -5

SOX -5½

AL Central:

SOX

Detroit -2

AL Wild Card:

Tampa Bay +1

Baltimore

Oakland -½

Detroit -1½

LA Angels -2½

Boston -5½

8/14 Games:

BOS @ BAL 7:05

TEX @ NYY 7:05

SOX @ TOR 7:07

OAK @ KC 8:10

DET @ MIN 8:10

CLE @ LAA 10:05

TB @ SEA 10:10

Edited by HickoryHuskers

AL Best Record:

NY Yankees

Texas -1½

SOX -5½

AL Central:

SOX

Detroit -2

AL Wild Card:

Tampa Bay

Baltimore

Oakland -1½

Detroit -1½

LA Angels -2½

Boston -6½

8/15 Games:

DET @ MIN 1:10

TB @ SEA 3:40

TEX @ NYY 7:00

CLE @ LAA 10:05

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 15, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
Looks like we'll be facing FISTER, SCHERZER and SANCHEZ in Detroit (dodge the V bullet). On pace to be FLOYD, LIRIANO, SALE for us.

That would be great.

Expected WL (as of 15AUG)

EAST

NYY 97-65*

TB 88-74*

BAL 64-53

CENTRAL

SOX 90-72*

DET 86-76*

WEST

TEX 93-69*

LAA 86-76

OAK 85-77

Edited by RME JICO

AL Best Record:

NY Yankees

Texas -2½

SOX -5½

AL Central:

SOX

Detroit -2

AL Wild Card:

Baltimore +1

Tampa Bay

Detroit -½

Oakland -1½

LA Angels -1½

Boston -6½

8/16 Games:

TEX @ NYY 1:05

TB @ LAA 10:05

Edited by HickoryHuskers

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:09 AM)
Looks like we'll be facing FISTER, SCHERZER and SANCHEZ in Detroit (dodge the V bullet). On pace to be FLOYD, LIRIANO, SALE for us.

I wouldn't get too excited about that just yet. They have off days each of the next two Mondays, which would make it easy to move the rotation around. They already are skipping Sanchez this Sunday to let Fister pitch again on normal 4-day rest. They could pull a similar move at the end of the month.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
What are the chances the Sox and Tigers end up in another game 163, the loser of which then winds up tied with another team for the second wildcard slot forcing a playoff for that position, only to be followed by the one game wildcard playoff, followed by the regular postseason?

A lot can happen seven weeks from now. There could be teams playing 3 days in a row in different cities, and have to use their 5th starters in the playoffs unless they go short rest for somebody. I like that the non-division winners have a tougher road to the championship, although I'd rather they get rid of divisions and have the 4th and 5th best teams play to get in.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
A lot can happen seven weeks from now. There could be teams playing 3 days in a row in different cities, and have to use their 5th starters in the playoffs unless they go short rest for somebody. I like that the non-division winners have a tougher road to the championship, although I'd rather they get rid of divisions and have the 4th and 5th best teams play to get in.

That would be a great way for the playoff system to work but why stop there. the 1 seeds get a buy and throw another wild card team in there. :lolhitting Cant change the playoff system in baseball enough. Right now a third of the baseball teams from each league get into the playoffs. Never really thought of it that way but if your in the top half of your league (NL/AL) you have a really good shot at making the playoffs. Lets hope the sox are one of those 5 teams this year.

QUOTE (Wagz @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
That would be a great way for the playoff system to work but why stop there. the 1 seeds get a buy and throw another wild card team in there. :lolhitting Cant change the playoff system in baseball enough. Right now a third of the baseball teams from each league get into the playoffs. Never really thought of it that way but if your in the top half of your league (NL/AL) you have a really good shot at making the playoffs. Lets hope the sox are one of those 5 teams this year.

I think 5 of 15 is a really good system. You don't want too many teams qualifying for postseason. It's better to have more teams chasing the last spot than just letting them in. If it's 6 or 8 per league, it's almost every over-.500 team. That's too many, and I don't think MLB or the players even want to go there, because they don't want byes and they don't want to shorten the regular season.

That would be a great way for the playoff system to work but why stop there. the 1 seeds get a buy and throw another wild card team in there.

Well, the Red Sox are currently 6th in the Wild Card standings, so MLB is probably looking into expanding to 6 WC teams per league in 2013.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 16, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
I think 5 of 15 is a really good system. You don't want too many teams qualifying for postseason. It's better to have more teams chasing the last spot than just letting them in. If it's 6 or 8 per league, it's almost every over-.500 team. That's too many, and I don't think MLB or the players even want to go there, because they don't want byes and they don't want to shorten the regular season.

I agree baseball has a very long season anyways and making it longer would not work so they would have to cut into the regular season. I personally would not like to see this happen. I like that they added a 5th team but would not like to see anymore spots added for that reason. I really didnt like the expansion of the 5th team at first, but now I see how competitive baseball has become for those top teams in each league and it is more important to win the division now. IMO

AL Best Record:

NY Yankees

Texas -1½

SOX -4½

AL Central:

SOX

Detroit -2½

AL Wild Card:

Tampa Bay

Baltimore

Detroit -1

Oakland -1½

LA Angels -2½

Boston -6½

8/17 Games:

BAL @ DET 7:05

BOS @ NYY 7:05

TEX @ TOR 7:07

SOX @ KC 8:10

TB @ LAA 10:05

CLE @ OAK 10:05

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 17, 2012 -> 09:22 AM)
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/odds/

according to BPs models we have a 90 % chance of making at least the wild card play in game, 68% at winning the division

It's a great site to track the daily change of their projection system

It is funny to look at teams like MN and the Cubs who are just flat lines at 0%.