Sox eager to move Floyd, other notes

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Defense has been a huge key to the Sox winning this year. Dumping Beckham isn't a good move.

Agree 100%. I'm frustrated with Beckham too, but the old adage is true, "defense usually wins in the long run".

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
Agree 100%. I'm frustrated with Beckham too, but the old adage is true, "defense usually wins in the long run".

As long as the guys we are paying to be hitters, keep hitting, Gordo is fine if he can keep playing + defense.

the rangers are the favorites to get johnson and now that the braves arent getting dempster theyre trying to get greinke. not good(they have way more prospects)

>There’s an "excellent chance" Greinke will be dealt, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports. Many scouts watched his outing last night and some came away impressed. Greinke is said to admire the Angels and Braves organizations, Morosi notes.

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
I disagree. This guy has 3 excellent pitches and reminds of me of a younger Johan Santana. You keep Q! You do not want to repeat another Gio Gonzalez or Dan Hudson situation.

I agree with your disagreement. KW has spent the off season stockpiling young arms. He's not going to trade Q .

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)

A nice compromise would be a veteran utility player who would give Beckham a couple days off per week plus take Escobar's playing time to stay fresh, and have him pinch hit for Gordon late. Who that would be I don't know, but he could have Hudson's roster spot.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:54 AM)
How about Floyd, Beckham and Castro to Milw for Greinke and Aoki?

I'd play Escobar at 2B.

IMO

Floyd + Reed + Thompson + Castro/Molina/Santiago (their pick) for Greinke + KRod with the Sox assuming all the salary (can they do that?)

followed by

Humber + Mitchell + prospects to SEA for League + Vargas

Greinke-Sale-Q-Peavy-Vargas

Jones is the closer with KRod & League as insurance

Danks is the wildcard... a Danks return could send Sale back to the pen to finish the year as a secret weapon, which would be a way to limit his innings.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
Interesting. Maybe that's why KW inquired about Ichiro. If they made the trade is there any doubt as soon as Vernon Wells is let go in LA he would be reunited with Rios.

Victorino may be available, and Phillies are known to be looking for bullpen help. Tough to replace De Aza IMO he has been the ideal leadoff man and a huge huge part of our success this year. You would have to replace him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:24 PM)
One thing to consider about De Aza is that he's arb eligible next year. So unless you think he's still going to improve a lot, this is probably his peak value.

If he keeps playing like he's played this year, he's going to be a bargain for several years.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
I wouldn't mind trading De Aza. I'm still not sold on him, and I don't think JorDanks has looked that bad at all in his 4 at-bats a week.

The downgrade from ADA to JorDanks is much greater than replacing someone like Floyd with Greinke.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 05:35 PM)
Who would you rather include in a package I guess along with Floyd? Beckham or DeAza?

Maybe we Nijer Morgan or another Kenny favorite Carlos Gomez along with Grienke??

Brewers probably want nothing to do with Floyd. They'd be more interested in possible prosects the Sox could get for Floyd, and even then, I don't think Floyd gets you top 75 prospects. If you look at some of the names the Brewers are asking for (Manny Machado, Teherean, etc.), a lot of these trade packages suggested for Greinke on this site make no sense.

KW's goal should really be to find a solid starter that can fit the #5 spot, as even when Danks returns, there's no guarantee he'll be effective or that Sale won't be shut down. In finding this #5, it should be for someone they can get without trading anyone of importance from the MLB roster (Jones is only person expendable off the roster, IMO).