Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pitching on the South Side of Chicago in a pennant race would be the least amount of spotlight/pressure of all the teams looking at him to make them stronger for the playoffs.

That's should be important to him.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:36 AM)
I think the offer may be along the lines of Floyd, Mitchell, and Jones/Reed. I don't know if that could get it done though. The Brewers could pick up Floyd's option, get a legit prospect in Mitchell, and receive some much needed bullpen help. I don't know if Jones can develop into a closer but he's probably already as good as Axford and K rod are right now.

So we would be giving away a big leaguer starter, a first round draft pick and a highly touted closer in Reed for a guy who will not sign with us this offseason.

wow.

That trade should get Kenny run out of town if Greinke doesn't re-sign.

Greinke is not worth the gamble; I'm telling you, he is wacky.

Doesn't look good for us, Kenny is going to have to be creative and get something done under the radar. Personally I still envision one of the Cubs starters here. Heres the latest from Heyman per MLBTR:

The price tag for Greinke is extremely high, interested teams told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.  The Brewers are said to have a particular interest in a top young shortstop, and a source said they asked the Orioles Manny Machado, a request that was rebuffed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 11:44 PM)
So we would be giving away a big leaguer starter, a first round draft pick and a highly touted closer in Reed for a guy who will not sign with us this offseason.

wow.

That trade should get Kenny run out of town if Greinke doesn't re-sign.

Greinke is not worth the gamble; I'm telling you, he is wacky.

Enough with the "nutcase and wacky" comments. The guy has an anxiety disorder and that is not his fault. He's a supremely talented athlete and among the best in the world at what he does in spite of his psychological condition. Give it a rest already.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 12:26 AM)
Let someone else overpay for Greinke. Go get JJ Putz and strengthen the pen.

IMO the pen is fine. I think KW is done adding to the bullpen with Myers. We need depth in the rotation to last the next two months or so. We have a lot of question marks and uncharted territory in the rotation right now IMO. And that's where Kenny is looking.

Found it interesting Fox MLB had this as one of their top stories even though the article itself was written a few days ago. Ken Rosenthal has always seemed to have a pretty good source with the sox and has broke/reported a few Sox trades recently. Maybe KW and Rosey use each other. Just seems odd maybe something is up.

http://extreme.mobile.msn.com/sports/mlb/article/1511027

QUOTE (Cali @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 01:20 AM)
With the off day tomorrow I want that Sox rumor mill churning! Anything to keep the day interesting!

I feel the same way! In fact, besides Sunday, I'm OFF all days leading up to the deadline!

Some more Grienke quotes: (again find it odd they are openly talking about it in the clubhouse)

The Sox scouted Greinke on Tuesday and are known to be right alongside the Los Angeles Angels, Atlanta Braves and Texas Rangers in their desire to pry him from the Brewers before Tuesday’s non-waiver trade deadline.

Two Sox sources said it would probably take more than what the Sox’ farm system has to offer. In that case, the Sox would have to part with a player off the 25-man roster, such as right-hander Gavin Floyd, in any deal for Greinke. So the upgrade in the rotation would be viewed in quality, not quantity, leaving the Sox to take their chances with Chris Sale, Peavy, Greinke, Jose Quintana and Philip Humber and having injured Opening Day starter John Danks potentially return around Sept. 1.

Youd welcome anybody of that caliber, Peavy said of Greinke.

If they think we need something and its feasible financially in what wed have to give up, you never know with Kenny. At the same time, we believe in the guys we have.

“We’re going to do the best we can with what we have, and we obviously like what we have to put us in this position,’’ said Dunn, who doubled and scored in the fifth on Alex Rios’ 16th homer. “Obviously, we wouldn’t be opposed to getting someone like [Greinke], but that’s not my job.’’

More about it here's the link: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...ck-greinke.html

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 05:29 AM)
Enough with the "nutcase and wacky" comments. The guy has an anxiety disorder and that is not his fault. He's a supremely talented athlete and among the best in the world at what he does in spite of his psychological condition. Give it a rest already.

Gee, sorry.

I've met Greinke and I like him personally.

But he is a very wacky person. There's no way telling what team he'll pick in free agency or why he'll pick that team.

I prefer to not give up so much for an unpredictable personality as Greinke. Is that saying it nicer?

In the lastest "Franchise" thread somebody called a certain Marlin, "God this man is a delusional arrogant prick." That's worse than what I called Zach.

Edited by greg775

“He was very poised,” one scout told my colleague Ken Rosenthal. “He had very good mound presence, very good focus. I think he’s playing to get out of there, go pitch in the playoffs and make a boatload of money.”

The scout said he has worried in the past — as many observers have — that Greinke becomes bored and disengaged at times, particularly when his team is playing poorly. That wasn’t an issue Tuesday, when Greinke looked “outstanding” and “very athletic” in the field. (Not to be overlooked, he put a ferocious swing on the home run ball and is batting a respectable .212.)

Greinke’s status should come into focus in the next 24-48 hours. By then, Hamels (extension) and Cubs starter Ryan Dempster (via trade to the Dodgers or Braves) could be off the market.

The Rangers are perhaps the most obvious fit for Greinke, having recently lost fellow right-hander Colby Lewis to a season-ending elbow injury. Melvin will be inclined to deal with the Rangers, because they have perhaps the deepest farm system of any contender in baseball. Still, it is unlikely that Milwaukee will obtain either of Texas’ top position players — shortstop Jurickson Profar and third baseman Mike Olt — in a deal for Greinke.

Of note, Greinke is said to be an admirer of the Angels and Braves organizations. If he is traded to one of those places, the team may have an advantage in trying to re-sign him after the season.

Morosi/Rosenthal (foxsports.com)

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
FWIW: KW has had an offer out there for a while now for Greinke. It's substantial and includes key mlb roster talent. Sox are very determined to land him.

Can you provide a link? How do you know this?

FWIW: KW has had an offer out there for a while now for Greinke. It's substantial and includes key mlb roster talent. Sox are very determined to land him.

If the "key mlb roster talent" is anything other than say Gavin Floyd, I think it would be over paying for a two month rental. That is unless the feel strongly they could re-sign him.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
This is just my barely-informed guess but I think Reed is a key in any deal.

Well, in that case, I hope we don't trade one of those outfielders. Actually, I'm not sure I want to see Reed traded at all. Floyd + Reed is probably the right value, but, I don't feel real good about any of the rest of the bullpen working as a closer.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
Well, in that case, I hope we don't trade one of those outfielders. Actually, I'm not sure I want to see Reed traded at all. Floyd + Reed is probably the right value, but, I don't feel real good about any of the rest of the bullpen working as a closer.

Call me crazy but I like Myers mound presence and think he can do the job. At the same time if he IS the new closer his option for next year will kick in. Another option is to go out and bring a Huston Street in a separate deal. That guy is solid!

so torn on this...i really think he would be a two month rental...not sure if its worth it. reed would have to be in the deal and/or jones with how bad their bullpen has been. i think reed can be a solid closer for years to come, is that worth two months of greinke?