Sox want Grienke "badly"

southsider2k5

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
Even mentioning trading Viciedo for a rental shows that you arent really throwing out realistic options. No GM in their right mind would do that. Have you seen the kids numbers lately?

Holy s***! 98 OPS+! HOW DOES HE MANAGE THAT?!?!?!?!

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
I bet Atlanta gets him

There is always the "mystery team" scenario but it may be down to Tex, Sox & Braves for Greinke & Johnson and the pieces may start falling in the next day or so.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 04:00 AM)
That may be, however I don't think many people would be just happy winning the central when we could possibly win the World Series. With Grienke that possibility is a whole lot more feasible when you need to shut down the offenses of LA, NYY, TX, Dodgers, Etc. Grienke is an ace and throwing ZG, Sale, Peavy, and Danks is down right scary. This move makes us WS contenders not AL Central contenders like we are now. I love this team and am not doubting. But when you have a chance to get a guy like ZG for a run with the team we have, you take the chance and worry about next year next year. These chances come rarely. Once in 95 years to be exact.

True, but even with Zach there is absolutely no guarantee we'll make the playoffs.

Before the Minnie series, the offense was putrid again. Still have some bullpen uncertainty and on and on.

I mean with Zach the playoff rotation does look great, but getting there? That's the problem even with Zach. It's not worth the gamble for rental Zach. Like somebody said, Q has been as good as Zach so far this year. Makes no sense to include Q in a deal for Z.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)
There is always the "mystery team" scenario but it may be down to Tex, Sox & Braves for Greinke & Johnson and the pieces may start falling in the next day or so.

They want KW's pictures of the Great Pyramid, the Sphinx, Zoraida, his kids and his mom to acquire Johnson.

Too injury prone.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:54 PM)

Darn seems less positive then your previous info. I really want this to happen. But it's not the end of the world, if we don't land him. Here's how I see it shaking out:

LA Dodgers- get Matt Garza For Zach Lee and Spects

Braves- get Dempster after all- for Delgado or a lesser package

Texas- shocks the world again and bring back An old friend Mr. Lee for their prized third basemen Olt since Phil really needs a 3B plus Spects.

Whitesox- Land Grienke for Floyd+Beckham+ 2 lower Spects for Grienke+ Weeks + K Rod or Loe

Josh Johnson stays put

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 10:58 PM)
True, but even with Zach there is absolutely no guarantee we'll make the playoffs.

Before the Minnie series, the offense was putrid again. Still have some bullpen uncertainty and on and on.

I mean with Zach the playoff rotation does look great, but getting there? That's the problem even with Zach. It's not worth the gamble for rental Zach. Like somebody said, Q has been as good as Zach so far this year. Makes no sense to include Q in a deal for Z.

Agreed, but I like our chances a lot more with Grienke for the next two months. Even if it's at the unfortunate expense of Beckham and Floyd or Floyd and De Aza.

I also agree with your assessment before the Twinkies came in. Our offense has shown that for a while, we have streaky hitters. That happens to everyone. The best way to combat that is to have a good defense and greAt pitching. If we have stout pitching, we don't need to put up 5-6 runs a game. But scoring 2-3 runs with great pitching and great defense wins just as many games as having horrible pithching and slugging 5-6 runs a game. See the Yankees, Redsox, Detroit at times. Great pitching and D doesnt go into slumps. And in October you see a lot more low score games because of great pitching.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 05:04 AM)
Darn seems less positive then your previous info. I really want this to happen. But it's not the end of the world, if we don't land him. Here's how I see it shaking out:

LA Dodgers- get Matt Garza For Zach Lee and Spects

Braves- get Dempster after all- for Delgado or a lesser package

Texas- shocks the world again and bring back An old friend Mr. Lee for their prized third basemen Olt since Phil really needs a 3B plus Spects.

Whitesox- Land Grienke for Floyd+Beckham+ 2 lower Spects for Grienke+ Weeks + K Rod or Loe

Josh Johnson stays put

How old is Weeks? I actually could envision Beckham playing for Milwaukee.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
How old is Weeks? I actually could envision Beckham playing for Milwaukee.

Ricky is 29 here is last year and this year and career lines:

Year G AB R H HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS+ BB SO SB CS

2011 118 453 77 122 20 49 .269 .350 .468 120 50 107 9 2

2012 93 340 39 68 10 34 .200 .313 .350 77 50 114 7 0

Car 853 3206 562 800 119 348 .250 .350 .426 105 403 869 107 22

Best part is if we do in fact trade him to Milwaukee we can still root for him and watch him rather regularly. And drive up and see him in person whenever.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:18 PM)
Ricky is 29 here is last year and this year and career lines:

Year G AB R H HR RBI BA OBP SLG OPS+ BB SO SB CS

2011 118 453 77 122 20 49 .269 .350 .468 120 50 107 9 2

2012 93 340 39 68 10 34 .200 .313 .350 77 50 114 7 0

Car 853 3206 562 800 119 348 .250 .350 .426 105 403 869 107 22

Best part is if we do in fact trade him to Milwaukee we can still root for him and watch him rather regularly. And drive up and see him in person whenever.

Why does heyman say Gavin is out? Is he that out of the loop?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...els-dodgers-etc

QUOTE (Special K @ Jul 26, 2012 -> 11:40 PM)
Why does heyman say Gavin is out? Is he that out of the loop?

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heym...els-dodgers-etc

May have written it a few days ago before it went to editing. I know it's a completely different scenario, but I often wrote sports columns for my HS newspaper that were completely irrelevant after it went through the whole process.

Comment From Tucker ... Elvis Andrus and Mike Olt for Yovanni Gallardo and Zach Greinke... do you pull the trigger assuming Profar is ready?

Cowlishaw: No. I don't like that deal. In general, trading sure thing every day players for hit-and-miss pitchers is a bad idea. See Edinson Volquez for Josh Hamilton, Ernie Broglio for Lou Brock (for you old-timers like me) for more details.

Comment From Tucker ... Hit and miss pitchers... Gallardo and Greinke come on... Holland is far more hit and miss than those two and would become your #5 starter immediately!

Cowlishaw: Talking long term. Pitchers are all hit and miss in that sense. How's Tim Lincecum doing? How's James Shields, who owned A.L. hitters last year, doing? Why do you want to trade away players who will have value for years for a shot at 2012 when you already have a good shot in 2012? That's what makes no sense to me.

Players on the ML roster I can see being traded:

Floyd

Humber

Reed

Thornton

Jones

Santiago

Beckham

Escobar

Hudson

JorDanks

Anybody else really can't be traded if the Sox are trying to win this year. The guys I listed the Sox can either live without or replace somewhat easily via another trade.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 05:35 AM)
Players on the ML roster I can see being traded:

Floyd

Humber

Reed

Thornton

Jones

Santiago

Beckham

Escobar

Hudson

JorDanks

Anybody else really can't be traded if the Sox are trying to win this year. The guys I listed the Sox can either live without or replace somewhat easily via another trade.

You can add Septimo to that list.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/gre...-163958826.html

Latest from Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on possible Greinke trades

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
I hope we don't get Greinke because we're going to have to give up Quintana, I'd bet money on it. I doubt they even want Floyd (who would, especially coming off an injury?)

No thanks!

Floyd for Grienke is a good deal. Quintana for Grienke is not. I think we can agree that Quintana's success was not a game or two. It comes down to an argument similar to the one regarding Viciedo. Quintana can be a big part of the future of the club. I wouldn't trade him for an almost-sure rental.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
I hope we don't get Greinke because we're going to have to give up Quintana, I'd bet money on it. I doubt they even want Floyd (who would, especially coming off an injury?)

No thanks!

I am sure Milwaukee would actually enjoy having Floyd for the rest of this year and next year for 9.5 million. I can see Floyd thriving in the NL. Now the question is, what do the Sox add to that package to sweeten the deal? I was talking to my friends who are Brewer fans and they are DESPERATE for a new SS. Beckham may be exactly what they are looking for....

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:31 AM)
I am sure Milwaukee would actually enjoy having Floyd for the rest of this year and next year for 9.5 million. I can see Floyd thriving in the NL. Now the question is, what do the Sox add to that package to sweeten the deal? I was talking to my friends who are Brewer fans and they are DESPERATE for a new SS. Beckham may be exactly what they are looking for....

I might actually like that deal. Floyd and Beckham for Grienke? The problem becomes, who is our second baseman? Hudson most likely.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:27 AM)
Floyd for Grienke is a good deal. Quintana for Grienke is not. I think we can agree that Quintana's success was not a game or two. It comes down to an argument similar to the one regarding Viciedo. Quintana can be a big part of the future of the club. I wouldn't trade him for an almost-sure rental.

It comes down to what you think the future is with Viciedo and Quintana and without Peavy, Konerko, Youkilis, A.J. (A lot of production for ~$40M) not to mention the bounce back year from Dunn, MVP-type year from Rios and Cy Young-type season from Sale. A lot has come together this year, the Sox can't let this opportunity pass by.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:42 AM)
I might actually like that deal. Floyd and Beckham for Grienke? The problem becomes, who is our second baseman? Hudson most likely.

I would assume it would be Hudson, however I think I would prefer Escobar to start. And don't be shocked if we trade Gordon if we got MIL 2B in return, Weeks. And then he'd be our two bagger.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 07:47 AM)
It comes down to what you think the future is with Viciedo and Quintana and without Peavy, Konerko, Youkilis, A.J. (A lot of production for ~$40M) not to mention the bounce back year from Dunn, MVP-type year from Rios and Cy Young-type season from Sale. A lot has come together this year, the Sox can't let this opportunity pass by.

I agree that the Sox have to do what they can to grab this opportunity...within reason. Personally, I don't see the value of a Quintana for Grienke swap. It might be a slight upgrade for 8-10 starts, but you're sacrificing the future for 2 months. A Floyd for Grienke swap would be an upgrade (slight or maybe a bit better), and you're holding on to that future.

If we as White Sox fans have learned anything over the past 7 years (since 2005), it's to dislike the trading of the future of the team for a chance today.