• Rangers
    • Braves
    • Rays
    • Cardinals
    • Tigers
    • Blue Jays (AA/J4L shout out)
    • A's
    • Nationals
  2. 2. Most likely to recover and sustain success?

• Pirates
    • Twins
    • Orioles
    • Astros
    • Rockies
    • D-Backs
    • Royals
    • Indians
    • Mariners
    • Padres

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
With their history since the 80's, they would be right around the top of my worst organizations list.

Which goes to illustrate how rapidly that list can turn over. Tampa Bay would have been on everyone's worst organizations list in 2006 or so.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
Which goes to illustrate how rapidly that list can turn over. Tampa Bay would have been on everyone's worst organizations list in 2006 or so.

Before the last two or three years, no one would have been voting for the Rangers either.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 11:22 AM)
I'm not entirely sure what your argument is, here.

My argument:

1) 220 lb wrestlers beat 115 lb wrestlers 100% of the time.

2) No advantage in a seven game series is big enough in any major sport to guarantee that team will win.

3) therefore, the analogy sucks.

Also, the Yankees give themselves a big advantage, but they also make excellent personnel decisions that have little to do with that financial advantage.

I don't really understand how someone couldn't concede that that last point had SOMETHING to do with their success.

Is your "argument" your attempt to take a joke about Yankee fans and "refute" it point by point like a formal logic problem? Yes, 162-game seasons, followed by successive seven-game series between professional baseball teams, are unlike a large child wrestling a small child in many ways. Nailed it!

But back to the main point - the Yankees in recent years (like the last 10 or so) have had some MASSIVE financial advantages. Staggering, really. Especially back in the mid-2000s their payroll often doubled that of even teams near the top of the list, and absolutely dwarfed the bottom half. While that top-level gap has narrowed in the last few years, I'm still amazed they only got one WS out of all that spending. Personally, I would not have much fun watching a team like that, even though they are often in contention, because deep down I'd know they really should win given the way they throw their financial weight around. Now the Yankees of earlier eras? (Including those late '90s teams that didn't have that massive a financial advantage)? A totally different story, and the reason why the Yankees will probably always be on top in terms of overall organizational cachet.

QUOTE (35thstreetswarm @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
Is your "argument" your attempt to take a joke about Yankee fans and "refute" it point by point like a formal logic problem? Yes, 162-game seasons, followed by successive seven-game series between professional baseball teams, are unlike a large child wrestling a small child in many ways. Nailed it!

But back to the main point - the Yankees in recent years (like the last 10 or so) have had some MASSIVE financial advantages. Staggering, really. Especially back in the mid-2000s their payroll often doubled that of even teams near the top of the list, and absolutely dwarfed the bottom half. While that top-level gap has narrowed in the last few years, I'm still amazed they only got one WS out of all that spending. Personally, I would not have much fun watching a team like that, even though they are often in contention, because deep down I'd know they really should win given the way they throw their financial weight around. Now the Yankees of earlier eras? (Including those late '90s teams that didn't have that massive a financial advantage)? A totally different story, and the reason why the Yankees will probably always be on top in terms of overall organizational cachet.

I wholeheartedly agree that I nailed it. I'm not sure why you brought up such a convoluted "joke" in the first place.

I'm not amazed at all that they only got one WS out of all that spending.

Spending money like that only puts you in a position to win.

They were 1 win away in both 01 and 03, so by winning 2 more games they could have had 3 instead of 1.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 30, 2012 -> 02:33 PM)
I wholeheartedly agree that I nailed it. I'm not sure why you brought up such a convoluted "joke" in the first place.

I'm not amazed at all that they only got one WS out of all that spending.

Spending money like that only puts you in a position to win.

They were 1 win away in both 01 and 03, so by winning 2 more games they could have had 3 instead of 1.

Two games away in '03. They lost in 6 to the Marlins. But I agree with you (for once) Hibbard.

Ha! That's awesome, thanks for setting me straight. And I will be sure to abide your standards of analogic precision in the future, guy who used the 2010-11 Miami Heat, in the middle of the payroll pack in the SALARY-CAPPED NBA, as an example of massive "financial advantages" not translating into titles.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jul 27, 2012 -> 11:15 AM)
27 world championships

Most recognizable team in all of sports.

Packed house every night.

Off the charts merchandise sales.

Their own TV network.

Come on. They're the best organization in all of American sports and it's not even close.

Exactly my first thought.