Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 10:55 AM)
Any recommendations for some day pool parties to hit up? Might be a little cold come March 22nd but we will see.

The best are usually at Hard Rock or Encore.

As for Vegas, you guys should check out East Fremont, which is the side of Fremont on the other side of Las Vegas Blvd. This is generally where some of the younger locals hang out. Tony Hsieh, the Zappos CEO and founder, has invested hundreds of millions of his own cash into redeveloping the downtown area and the result is new bars and restaurants are popping up in that area every week.

Good places to check out are Commonwealth (my favorite LV bar), the Griffin, Park on Fremont, and La Comida. There is also something new called Container Park that recently opened and has some good eat and drink options.

East Fremont is generally my favorite area to go as a local.

As for the Strip, there is a new thing opening soon called The Linq (between Harrah's and the old Imperial Palace, essentially) which should have some pretty cool new things...one being Brooklyn Bowl, which I am excited about.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
Great recommendations in here, I'll have to check out Fremont. B>W just missing you man, I'll be there starting the 27th for the sweet 16.

Russ, I might have to invite you to my Vegas bachelor party :)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 01:11 PM)
I wish it wasn't so sprawled out and suburbany, where you have to drive nearly anywhere. Plus, the summer heat, ugh.

Yeah, going there now would be great, but its not my favorite for a place to live. Scottsdale is nice but filled to the brim with snobby pieces of crap and the other side of Phoenix is basically a desert version of St Charles/far west burbs. Big boxes, nothing else.

Golf is great though.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 07:11 PM)
The best are usually at Hard Rock or Encore.

As for Vegas, you guys should check out East Fremont, which is the side of Fremont on the other side of Las Vegas Blvd. This is generally where some of the younger locals hang out. Tony Hsieh, the Zappos CEO and founder, has invested hundreds of millions of his own cash into redeveloping the downtown area and the result is new bars and restaurants are popping up in that area every week.

Good places to check out are Commonwealth (my favorite LV bar), the Griffin, Park on Fremont, and La Comida. There is also something new called Container Park that recently opened and has some good eat and drink options.

East Fremont is generally my favorite area to go as a local.

As for the Strip, there is a new thing opening soon called The Linq (between Harrah's and the old Imperial Palace, essentially) which should have some pretty cool new things...one being Brooklyn Bowl, which I am excited about.

Is the linq ferris wheel open yet? If not do you know when?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 01:01 PM)
Is the linq ferris wheel open yet? If not do you know when?

The wheel isn't going to open likely for another month or so...but the rest of the shops and restaurants are opening every day for the past week or so.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 03:27 PM)
Are you coming to Vegas the last weekend of the month?

Nah, hopefully my first Vegas trip will be for the tourney next year but with the new job starting Tuesday, can't do it this year. Just giving ya a hard time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Just booked plane tickets for St. Louis on May 8th, going to be there the 8th-11th. Primarily there for the Draft...it's going to be like 6 football psychos in the same room (and I do plan on doing my drunken live blog again).

It can't come soon enough.

What part of St. Louis do you stay in?

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 5, 2014 -> 05:09 PM)
What part of St. Louis do you stay in?

No idea, my friend's brother is picking us up. All I know is that he lives a ways away from the airport. It's actually going to be my first time there.

They both think baseball is boring but follow it enough to the point that we could have gone to a Cardinals game. Unfortunately, they're going to be in Pittsburgh at the time.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
No idea, my friend's brother is picking us up. All I know is that he lives a ways away from the airport. It's actually going to be my first time there.

They both think baseball is boring but follow it enough to the point that we could have gone to a Cardinals game. Unfortunately, they're going to be in Pittsburgh at the time.

There's 2 Frontier League teams in the area if you are interested, Gateway Grizzlies & River City Rascals. Tickets are inexpensive and you can usually sit very close.

So I knocked out Denver and Phoenix, and I'm headed to Savannah next week. Potential trips the rest of the year:

Toronto

Orlando

Nashville

New Orleans

Seattle

Los Vegas

Yosemite

Never been to any of the above as an adult. Thoughts?

So I decided to gamble on Priceline for the trip to Chicago instead of going with the Millienum hotel for $110 a night.. I ended up with the Hyatt Regency hotel, a 4 star hotel for $75 a night.. Saved a total of around 70 bucks and still staying at a nice hotel.

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:25 PM)
So I decided to gamble on Priceline for the trip to Chicago instead of going with the Millienum hotel for $110 a night.. I ended up with the Hyatt Regency hotel, a 4 star hotel for $75 a night.. Saved a total of around 50 bucks and still staying at a nice hotel.

Really nice hotel. My buddy stayed there in December and did the same with the secret deal on Priceline. It's right across the river from me. Great location.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:29 PM)
Really nice hotel. My buddy stayed there in December and did the same with the secret deal on Priceline. It's right across the river from me. Great location.

I was disappointed to see they didn't have free wifi but I think the fee is only $10 so if we really need it I guess it won't be too much.

Glad to hear its a good place! I know its close to the Magnificent Mile. We will be looking for something to do on Friday probably. Hopefully it is nicer so we can walk around a bit..

Is there a Metra stop close to it that can take us to the United Center easily?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:39 PM)
I was disappointed to see they didn't have free wifi but I think the fee is only $10 so if we really need it I guess it won't be too much.

Glad to hear its a good place! I know its close to the Magnificent Mile. We will be looking for something to do on Friday probably. Hopefully it is nicer so we can walk around a bit..

Is there a Metra stop close to it that can take us to the United Center easily?

Wait, didn't we already cover all of this with you?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 06:12 AM)
So I knocked out Denver and Phoenix, and I'm headed to Savannah next week. Potential trips the rest of the year:

Toronto

Orlando

Nashville

New Orleans

Seattle

Los Vegas

Yosemite

I've been to Orlando, New Orleans, and Vegas within the past year. Also been to Yosemite before that.

The former are my 3 favorite places to travel in this country. Vegas and New Orleans have to be the 2 funnest places on this planet in terms of party atmosphere. You can't have a bad time there but I have to pick Vegas especially if you've never been there. Go with a group of guys and you'll have the time of your life. I've been to Orlando about 30 times including 2 weeks ago. Love it still, but man it is just getting insanely expensive for what I want to do there. Obviously a completely different experience than Vegas/New Orleans but I still have lots of fun there. I'd recommend everything about Universal from their awesome hotels and perks, and now they have the best theme park in the world IMO with Islands of Adventure.

Yosemite was really cool when I went. Hiking up to get to all the different waterfalls was really fun and rewarding. I'm not really an outdoors person so I don't think I'd go back there but I could see how someone would fall in love.

Toronto sounds awesome. Everything I hear is that it is a world class city. Can't say I have an interest in Seattle or Nashville. Nashville seems like a party city but I'm guessing you can find a lot better spots without leaving your backyard of Chicago and f*** country music. Ugh.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:12 PM)

Toronto

Orlando

Nashville

New Orleans

Seattle

Los Vegas

Yosemite

Nashville and New Orleans are probably my two favorite cities in the country. Nashville has such a small town feel to it and I honestly think you'll love it even if you dislike country music. The people are super nice, the bars are awesome. Food is great. You'll most likely run into a ton of people from Chicago. Highly recommend traveling there, we spent most of our time there on Broadway strip where bars line the streets.

New Orleans is such a beautiful city, if you stay in the right areas. But that can be said about any city. The seafood is unbelievable, but most restaurants are pretty pricey. Bourbon street is pretty much everything you'd expect. Just a nonstop party with tons of places to stop in and drink or just keep walkin down the street. Make sure you go to Brennan's for brunch if you can, great food. In both cases, go with a bunch of your buddies and you'll have a blast.

Soooo I'm going to Punta Cana this Sunday for a week with the girlfriend. Staying at Dreams Punta Cana. Anyone ever been to Punta Cana and have any recommendations or advice?