Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

New Orleans is a freakin blast, I went there underage and still was able to have a great time. We stayed in the Garden district and I loved it, beautiful houses and buildings over there, taking the trolley in was a great experience as well. We went over to the Tulane bars a few times as well, pretty fun atmospheres all around.

Also, if youre looking for food while on Bourbon street, there was a philly cheesesteak place that was very solid (better and cheaper than most places on that street). Owner was from Philly so took some pride in the food, of course back then he was complaining about McNabb still.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:12 PM)
So I knocked out Denver and Phoenix, and I'm headed to Savannah next week. Potential trips the rest of the year:

Toronto

Orlando

Nashville

New Orleans

Seattle

Los Vegas

Yosemite

Never been to any of the above as an adult. Thoughts?

I haven't been to Yosemite or Orlando, but I've been actually been to all the other cities in the past 2-3 years. Also going back to Seattle this September to see the Fighting Beckmans get pulverized.

New Orleans is easily my favorite. Between the culture, great food, and party atmosphere, I've always had a great time there. Although if you are looking to go in July or August, the weather might be very muggy and humid.

Nashville is a lot of fun, on Broadway there are tons of country bars, rocking country music and serving beer all day/night long. The Predators' arena is also right on the Strip if they happen to be in town. My wife has several friends from there so I've explored other parts of the town and there's a lot of cool stuff in other areas.

Vegas is Vegas, nuff said.

Seattle is a beautiful city with tons to do, and Toronto is cool as well. I'd say those are a little lower on the party atmosphere list as compared to the three above, but you can still have a great time.

I'd go New Orleans over Vegas every day of the week. You're not consumed by gambling 24/7. If you're into that, fine, but it's not the main attraction. The main attraction is the food (freakin' amazing. Eat po boys daily, eat seafood daily, die happy) and the bourbon street area where with a few friends you're guaranteed to have an amazing time at pretty cheap prices. Plus where else in the US can you walk from bar to strip club to bar to strip club to bar to restaurant, etc.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
I'd go New Orleans over Vegas every day of the week. You're not consumed by gambling 24/7. If you're into that, fine, but it's not the main attraction. The main attraction is the food (freakin' amazing. Eat po boys daily, eat seafood daily, die happy) and the bourbon street area where with a few friends you're guaranteed to have an amazing time at pretty cheap prices. Plus where else in the US can you walk from bar to strip club to bar to strip club to bar to restaurant, etc.

Thing about NO is it is a lot dirtier, and can be pretty dangerous if you don't watch yourself.

They are two completely different experiences, IMO.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 6, 2014 -> 11:12 PM)
So I knocked out Denver and Phoenix, and I'm headed to Savannah next week. Potential trips the rest of the year:

Toronto

Orlando

Nashville

New Orleans

Seattle

Los Vegas

Yosemite

Never been to any of the above as an adult. Thoughts?

For Toronto, get a field view room for baseball at the Skydome. Also if you haven't been, Niagra Falls is only an hour-ish away, and is a must see.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
New Orleans is a freakin blast, I went there underage and still was able to have a great time. We stayed in the Garden district and I loved it, beautiful houses and buildings over there, taking the trolley in was a great experience as well. We went over to the Tulane bars a few times as well, pretty fun atmospheres all around.

Also, if youre looking for food while on Bourbon street, there was a philly cheesesteak place that was very solid (better and cheaper than most places on that street). Owner was from Philly so took some pride in the food, of course back then he was complaining about McNabb still.

Stay here

http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/newor...yalorleans.aspx

Eat at Johnny's down the street.

You're welcome

Going on a cruise in early September. Spending a night in Copenhagen Denmark, Warnemunde (Berlin) Germany, Tallinn Estonia, Overnight in St Petersburg Russia, Helsinki Finland, Stockholm Sweden and then back to Copenhagen. Pretty excited about it, Ive never been to any of those countries.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 04:48 PM)
Going on a cruise in early September. Spending a night in Copenhagen Denmark, Warnemunde (Berlin) Germany, Tallinn Estonia, Overnight in St Petersburg Russia, Helsinki Finland, Stockholm Sweden and then back to Copenhagen. Pretty excited about it, Ive never been to any of those countries.

This sounds incredibly awesome.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 09:42 PM)
I love to travel, but I have absolutely zero interest in going on any cruise.

I've never been but my sister just got back from a Bahama cruise, and said it was the best vacations shes ever been on.

Keep in mind shes not a big traveler but she was doing the resort thing (cancun, puerto, jamaica, dominican etc).

Has anyone here done Charleston before?

I'll be in the USA next month for 2 weeks for a friend's wedding, and me and a couple of mates are going to visit South Carolina whilst we're there.

Hotels seem fairly pricey there though, especially in downtown, min $200 a night on the usual Priceline / Expedia etc.

I'll be in the USA next month for 2 weeks for a friend's wedding, and me and a couple of mates are going to visit South Carolina whilst we're there.

Hotels seem fairly pricey there though, especially in downtown, min $200 a night on the usual Priceline / Expedia etc.

That is exactly why we keep passing it over as a potential vacation spot.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 7, 2014 -> 11:51 AM)
Thing about NO is it is a lot dirtier, and can be pretty dangerous if you don't watch yourself.

They are two completely different experiences, IMO.

Dangerous? I mean, i'm sure parts of the city are, but that can be said of any major city. I went for a bachelor party and stayed in a rented house about 5-6 blocks from bourbon street and we never had any problems at any hour of the day. And if you stick within a block or two of bourbon street there are going to be cops on almost every intersection.

The dirtiness factor, that's true. The whole area feels old and dirty. But I think that's part of the old-timey charm.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 02:34 AM)

My wife and I stayed in Hilton Head last summer and did day trips to Savannah and Charleston. Didn't stay the night but did the touristy stuff in Charleston and it was great. Not sure it's a city to spend a week in, but 1-3 days would probably be cool. Definitely take a carriage ride tour. Also do Fort Sumter. Even if you aren't into history you get really nice views of the city/harbor.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

Last one I was on they checked your bags and took your booze away until you docked back home.

Was your booze in booze containers? I've never been on a cruise, but I have friends that go on lots of cruises, and they claim that they can get it on by putting it in water/soda containers.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
Was your booze in booze containers? I've never been on a cruise, but I have friends that go on lots of cruises, and they claim that they can get it on by putting it in water/soda containers.

I got this through security at LAX but got caught and lost it in Beijing.

I got this through security at LAX but got caught and lost it in Beijing.

My friends do this at the port city so they aren't carrying the booze on the plane, just the ship, and supposedly there isn't as much scrutiny on the ships.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
Last one I was on they checked your bags and took your booze away until you docked back home.

Ive been on a decent amount of cruises and have basically been trying to perfect a system to get booze on the ships. What we currently do is all carry backpacks with camelback internal bladders. Each one carries about 2 liters and we take the bladder out of the backpack and lay it in our suitcases between the clothes. Nothing suspicious shows up so this has worked every time. We also bring them with us (in the backpacks) when we are at ports and fill them up on land and carry them back on. This is probably a little more risky but we havent had a single issue with it and weve done it a lot. The only time we got caught was when we brought a case of water and filled the inside bottles up with vodka and tried to carry it on. It took them 2 seconds to catch on to that one.

http://shop.camelbak.com/accessories/reser...eservoirs/l/310 stuff like this

also, for whoever asked, this is the cruise http://www.ncl.com/cruises/9-Day-Baltic-Ca...TLLLEDHELSTOCPH

Edited by DrunkBomber