Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
The arch sucked. Totally sucked. And that is coming from someone who loves heights. It is cramped, it is crowded, it is congested. The elevator up has no air conditioning... IN ST LOUIS! The view is of nothing. I was upset I wasted hours waiting for a time and then doing it.

This is coming from someone who has loved places like the top of the Sears Tower, the CN Tower, The Stratosphere in Vegas, top of the Natural Bridge in Red River Gorge, etc.

I could of told you that lol. St. Louis really doesn't have anything exciting unless you have young kids and want to go to the City Museum

Weekend in Milwakuee with the wife (wanted somewhere nearby for a very short trip).

Suggestions on things to do, places to eat? We're taking the Amtrak up there and staying at a hotel in that area (near river, in downtown). So looking for stuff we can walk to in downtown Milwaukee ideally. Already considering the art museum, lake and river trails, maybe a brewery tour.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
Arch is a no based on the wife and I both being acrophobic.

A-B brewery tour is a likely stop.

In Forest Park, we may check out the history museum. We do enough zoos with the kids, and my wife it not into art museums.

Wife also won't do baseball games unless it's the Sox. I can't even get her to go see the Sox AAA team play.

Will look into the Delmar Loop. That sounds interesting.

We are actually staying in St. Charles less than a mile from Ameristar, so we probably end up in their poker room at least once.

The history museum in Forest Park is pretty neat. A-B brewery tour is fun too.

Delmar in U-City is awesome on summer weekend nights. Street music, all that stuff. Some great bbq in little holes-in-the-wall just off the main drag, too. At least there was, I haven't been there in nearly a decade.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:45 AM)
Weekend in Milwakuee with the wife (wanted somewhere nearby for a very short trip).

Suggestions on things to do, places to eat? We're taking the Amtrak up there and staying at a hotel in that area (near river, in downtown). So looking for stuff we can walk to in downtown Milwaukee ideally. Already considering the art museum, lake and river trails, maybe a brewery tour.

http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/

Far and away the best brewery tour I've been on.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 08:50 AM)
The history museum in Forest Park is pretty neat. A-B brewery tour is fun too.

Delmar in U-City is awesome on summer weekend nights. Street music, all that stuff. Some great bbq in little holes-in-the-wall just off the main drag, too. At least there was, I haven't been there in nearly a decade.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jul 24, 2014 -> 09:01 AM)
http://www.lakefrontbrewery.com/

Far and away the best brewery tour I've been on.

Thanks on both, definitely a brew tour will be on tap.

So this will sound odd, but, I was really impressed with Milwaukee. It's really like a mini-Chicago.

Stayed in a fairly new boutique hotel called the Iron Horse, which was fantastic. Ate at a bunch of very good restaurants, particularly recommend The Noble. Museums were fun, and the whole 3rd ward area has a lot going on. I had no idea there was such a strong young urban scene there, but there is. We didn't get to do a lot, ran out of time, but I highly recommend it for a quick weekend trip. You can even take the Amtrak right there, faster than you could drive it, and the town is surprisingly walkable.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
So this will sound odd, but, I was really impressed with Milwaukee. It's really like a mini-Chicago.

Stayed in a fairly new boutique hotel called the Iron Horse, which was fantastic. Ate at a bunch of very good restaurants, particularly recommend The Noble. Museums were fun, and the whole 3rd ward area has a lot going on. I had no idea there was such a strong young urban scene there, but there is. We didn't get to do a lot, ran out of time, but I highly recommend it for a quick weekend trip. You can even take the Amtrak right there, faster than you could drive it, and the town is surprisingly walkable.

Did you guys take your kids with you?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 10:47 AM)
Did you guys take your kids with you?

No, this was an anniversary trip, the kids were with my wife's parents.

But I can tell you there would be plenty for kids to do. The Milwaukee Art Museum (which is pretty cool by the way), has a bunch of kid-focused exhibits, and does little classes during the day right in the galleries that any kid can just jump into. They do drawing and painting and stuff. And next door to the MAM is a Discovery museum that is heavily kid-focused, lots of interactive exhibits, etc. So it would work well with kids too.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 28, 2014 -> 11:47 AM)
No, this was an anniversary trip, the kids were with my wife's parents.

But I can tell you there would be plenty for kids to do. The Milwaukee Art Museum (which is pretty cool by the way), has a bunch of kid-focused exhibits, and does little classes during the day right in the galleries that any kid can just jump into. They do drawing and painting and stuff. And next door to the MAM is a Discovery museum that is heavily kid-focused, lots of interactive exhibits, etc. So it would work well with kids too.

Sounds good. We're always trying to find more and more day trips/weekend trips to engage (and exhaust) my 2 year old.

I love Milwaukee, I have some friends from college that live there and I go to visit all the time. Great city, it's big but you can get around really easily (we drove through the city one Sunday morning in like 20 minutes).

The bars are spectacular, lots of great local beers served and there are ton of bars on the river that are casual and don't charge exorbitant prices (Harp is one of my favorites, definitely geared towards a younger crowd but great porch overlooking the river and $7 double whiskey cokes that are loaded).

One of my friends is really into a young adult group that is trying to get more activities in the city grads and such. I would definitely move up there if my work was a bit closer.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)
Any food tips for NYC? Going to be going out there for work in about a month and the Mrs. is going to come out as well.

Seriously? I mean like you're actually asking this?

You kinda need some specifics. But really, let's face it, you're in perhaps the cooking capital of the world. Make yourself a list of things you want to try, either cuisine types, costs, celebrity chefs, local places, or places around wherever you're working, and you're not going to go wrong.

Walking 1/4 of Manhattan is like walking across Chicago in terms of the number of places you're passing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
Seriously? I mean like you're actually asking this?

You kinda need some specifics. But really, let's face it, you're in perhaps the cooking capital of the world. Make yourself a list of things you want to try, either cuisine types, costs, celebrity chefs, local places, or places around wherever you're working, and you're not going to go wrong.

Walking 1/4 of Manhattan is like walking across Chicago in terms of the number of places you're passing.

I'm looking for good hole in the wall places to try, which I know NY is a mecca of. Basically, just want to see if someone has a, you have to go here for breakfast or must have pizza from here or best steak in the planet or best manhattan clam chowder ever. I've been to NY before but Lombardi's was about the only place I can remember that I specifically tried that is pretty well known. We are fare game for cuisine. Wife has never been to NYC.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 07:43 PM)
I'm looking for good hole in the wall places to try, which I know NY is a mecca of. Basically, just want to see if someone has a, you have to go here for breakfast or must have pizza from here or best steak in the planet or best manhattan clam chowder ever. I've been to NY before but Lombardi's was about the only place I can remember that I specifically tried that is pretty well known. We are fare game for cuisine. Wife has never been to NYC.

Supposedly the "Best steak on the planet" might well be Peter Lugar's, just below the Brooklyn Bridge. I have not been.

You're unlikely to go wrong finding any hole in the wall nearby wherever you are. If it's been open in NYC for a while there's a reason why. I did that several times and was quite content with the results each time.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 04:50 PM)
Supposedly the "Best steak on the planet" might well be Peter Lugar's, just below the Brooklyn Bridge. I have not been.

You're unlikely to go wrong finding any hole in the wall nearby wherever you are. If it's been open in NYC for a while there's a reason why. I did that several times and was quite content with the results each time.

I don't like places that don't have prices on their menu, haha. I've heard of Lugars and I am tempted. On 2nd thought, they don't accept credit card. Count me out. I am not carrying that much cash to NY. Is there anyplace where I can get the best kokolash and crab juice around? If I'm daring, I might even try the Mountain Dew.

Homer 1...New York City 0.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 05:36 PM)
Thanks Mike. Unfortunately, even though we were prepared, polite and concise, they profiled us and decided to search our car. In their search they found a broken cigarette in my buddy's backpack which got him a pretty good ear beating. I guess they needed something to validate wasting 45 minutes of our lives and treating us like criminals.

Canadian border patrol, on the other hand, was "What are you doing?" "Do you have any weapons?" "Have a nice trip boys."

We got pulled in years ago by the Canadians over a misunderstanding of "staying the night" We said we were staying the night because we were crossing the border at Midnight to gamble in Windsor. When we said we didn't have a room, they took us in and gave us the whole tear down.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 11, 2014 -> 07:04 PM)
I don't like places that don't have prices on their menu, haha. I've heard of Lugars and I am tempted. On 2nd thought, they don't accept credit card. Count me out. I am not carrying that much cash to NY. Is there anyplace where I can get the best kokolash and crab juice around? If I'm daring, I might even try the Mountain Dew.

Homer 1...New York City 0.

If you give some specifics, I can give a couple of places that I went. Lombardo's was some of the best toppings I have ever had, but damn do I hate the crusty thin crust of NY style pizza. Your pizza should not crunch!

My wife and I are taking our 2 year old to Disney next month. Anyone do that trip with a toddler before? Any advise/tips/tricks? It's only for a few days and we're only doing 2 parks (Magic Kingdom over two days and Animal Kingdom for one). Staying in a Disney resort before heading over to St. Pete for a week.

It's either going to be awesome watching him freak out with excitement, or it's going to be an absolute nightmare for 3 days.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 12, 2014 -> 11:43 AM)
My wife and I are taking our 2 year old to Disney next month. Anyone do that trip with a toddler before? Any advise/tips/tricks? It's only for a few days and we're only doing 2 parks (Magic Kingdom over two days and Animal Kingdom for one). Staying in a Disney resort before heading over to St. Pete for a week. It's either going to be awesome watching him freak out with excitement, or it's going to be an absolute nightmare for 3 days.

Edited by Y2HH