Illinois State High School Football Thread

greg775

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 14, 2012 -> 10:06 PM)
Brother Rice scores with 1:52 left and wins at St. Rita. Great football game on ESPN3. Really a well-played game.

And the team that beat both of them this year, Marist is now 4-0 after putting a beating on St. Patrick's.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 04:28 AM)
And the team that beat both of them this year, Marist is now 4-0 after putting a beating on St. Patrick's.

Marist is incredible. Where are they getting these stud players? Marist is gonna win it all if it stays healthy IMO. I think Brother Rice stole one tonight. Does Rita normally pass as much as it did tonight?

Rice runs that spread offense like a small college team. They have five wide outs, no running backs a lot. Do many Chicago h.s. teams run the spread/no huddle offense? It's kind of crazy.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
Just wanna say that Warren sucks before Brian gets into this thread.

They do. 2-2 with everyone returning from last year but QB is an INT machine.

And F Stevenson.

Covered Conant last night and they have this kid, Tim Manczko, who is all over on both sides of the ball.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
They do. 2-2 with everyone returning from last year but QB is an INT machine.

And F Stevenson.

Covered Conant last night and they have this kid, Tim Manczko, who is all over on both sides of the ball.

Ha, I honestly have no idea but interesting on Warren. How is Stevenson this year?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 11:29 PM)
Another day, another win by Maine South. Ho hum.

I'm heading there next week to cover their game against New Trier. I'm excited to see Alviti in person. He really impressed me in the state title game a couple years ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 15, 2012 -> 12:57 AM)
Marist is incredible. Where are they getting these stud players? Marist is gonna win it all if it stays healthy IMO. I think Brother Rice stole one tonight. Does Rita normally pass as much as it did tonight?

Rice runs that spread offense like a small college team. They have five wide outs, no running backs a lot. Do many Chicago h.s. teams run the spread/no huddle offense? It's kind of crazy.

Marist runs the same offense as Brother Rice. They have been doing it for about 5 years and are awesome at it.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 05:36 PM)
Marist runs the same offense as Brother Rice. They have been doing it for about 5 years and are awesome at it.

Is that right? Wow. Does Marist run all those five-receiver sets and throw 40 times a game? I did not know that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
Is that right? Wow. Does Marist run all those five-receiver sets and throw 40 times a game? I did not know that.

Yes as does Loyola now.

St Xavier began running this a few years back and are very successful with it, won the NAIA national championship. The Rice coach is from there, as well as a Rice alum

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 12:54 PM)
Yes as does Loyola now.

St Xavier began running this a few years back and are very successful with it, won the NAIA national championship. The Rice coach is from there, as well as a Rice alum

Loyola doesn't have the WR talent they had the last couple years so they don't pass as much as they used to. They ran a bunch of successful bubble screens on Saturday against Providence, but it's not the same.

Also, from what I saw last year Brother Rice was a very run heavy team. Did I catch them on a weird week or something?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 18, 2012 -> 06:54 PM)
Yes as does Loyola now.

Harry, Dan and Buehrle are u all Rice grads? DO you think Mt. Carmel will pound Rice this Friday? I watched last Friday's game on the Internet. It's amazing when high school quarterbacks throw that many times. I would think some weeks the turnovers may come in bunches. So far so good, though for Br. Rice.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)
Harry, Dan and Buehrle are u all Rice grads? DO you think Mt. Carmel will pound Rice this Friday? I watched last Friday's game on the Internet. It's amazing when high school quarterbacks throw that many times. I would think some weeks the turnovers may come in bunches. So far so good, though for Br. Rice.

I went to public school, but, yes, Mt. Carmel will win huge.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 07:57 AM)
I went to public school, but, yes, Mt. Carmel will win huge.

Rice has one very good defensive player. I forget his name. He looks Samoan or has a Samoan name as I recall. Good player. Little overweight and got banged up vs. St. Rita. I think Rice has a pretty good defense but it can be scored upon. The offense is very good and probably is capable of scoring a couple touchdowns on anybody. So Carmel 42-14 might make sense.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 11:32 PM)

I went to Rice. MC will beat them. MC usually handles Rice rather well as they are fast.

The new coach gets his guys to play which the former coach did not. Rice did not give up to Marist and beating Rita was huge.

They are a program on the rise for certain.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
I went to Rice. MC will beat them. MC usually handles Rice rather well as they are fast.

The new coach gets his guys to play which the former coach did not. Rice did not give up to Marist and beating Rita was huge.

They are a program on the rise for certain.

Interesting. Was the former coach OK or considered a clown in football circles? I did read something about the new coach saying Rice had to attract good athletes. The implication was there might be some issues regarding enrollment. Is enrollment down at Rice or is the school still full?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 06:40 PM)
Interesting. Was the former coach OK or considered a clown in football circles? I did read something about the new coach saying Rice had to attract good athletes. The implication was there might be some issues regarding enrollment. Is enrollment down at Rice or is the school still full?

I'm a grad. I know their enrollment went way way down after the big administration shake up a few years back. I think their current junior and senior classes are small. Not sure beyond that.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 10:22 PM)
I'm a grad. I know their enrollment went way way down after the big administration shake up a few years back. I think their current junior and senior classes are small. Not sure beyond that.

Prior coach seemed to kind of lose interest, school took a big step backward a couple of years back. They seemed to have revitalized themselves and are now headed in a good direction.