AFL and Instructional League thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 21, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Some good AFL video on Rienzo who is also on the AFL Hot List from Baseball America.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...12/2614225.html

Interesting.

He's got some delivery inconsistency, especially with the lower body. He also seems to short-arm the delivery a bit. Thanks for posting.

And man, whoever that catcher was, they weren't having a very good day.

Weekend catch-up...

FRIDAY: Scottsdale 1, Salt River 0

C Sanchez: 0-4, 2 K

Wilkins: 1-4, 2 K

Tr Thompson: 0-2, BB, K

S Rodriguez: 1 IP, 2 H, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

S Sanchez: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

First two Scottsdale pitchers combined for 7 innings of no-hit baseball.

SATURDAY: Scottsdale 5, Salt River 3

Ta Thompson: 1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 K

Sunday was off. Salt River plays tonight.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

DAN HAYES

White Sox farmhand Andre Rienzo continues to shine in Arizona Fall League play.

The right-hander, 23, hasn’t been scored upon in two appearances for the Salt River Rafters. Rienzo struck out five and allowed only two hits in four scoreless innings on Thursday and has now whiffed 10 hitters in seven AFL innings.

Another righty, reliever Salvador Sanchez, hasn’t been scored upon in four innings for Salt River. Sanchez, 27, had a 4.24 ERA in 16 appearances at Double-A Birmingham this season.

Birmingham first baseman Andy Wilkins, 24, continues to perform at the plate with a .375 average in 24 at-bats and five RBIs.

Infielder Carlos Sanchez, 20, has only two hits in his last 19 at-bats but has a .333 on-base percentage and has stolen four of five bases.

Top prospect Trayce Thompson, 21, is only 2-for-19 but has walked six times in six games.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 02:09 AM)

Also Sanchez 1-5, 3 RBI, SB.

What the hell has gotten into Andy Wilkins down there? .414/.438/.690/1.127, plus 2 SB. 3rd in the AFL in SLG, 4th in OPS, 4th in AVG. The only guy hitting demonstrably better in all areas is Brock Kjeldgaard, a 26 year old who was drafted in 2005 in the 34th round who started as a pitcher, converted to a 1B, and hasn't played a full season of AA yet.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 09:16 AM)
Also Sanchez 1-5, 3 RBI, SB.

What the hell has gotten into Andy Wilkins down there? .414/.438/.690/1.127, plus 2 SB. 3rd in the AFL in SLG, 4th in OPS, 4th in AVG. The only guy hitting demonstrably better in all areas is Brock Kjeldgaard, a 26 year old who was drafted in 2005 in the 34th round who started as a pitcher, converted to a 1B, and hasn't played a full season of AA yet.

Small sample size. I try to avoid getting too worked up over hitters in the AFL simply because of that. Brent Morel looked like a great, young hitter, Eduardo Escobar looked like he had developed gap power, Tyler Flowers looked like he could be a .270 average guy with power, and they just don't seem to pan out.

It's not a bad thing by any stretch though.

I am much more interested in pitchers and their results, so I really like what I'm seeing out of Rienzo, and while Sanchez may not quite be Sergio Santos, he's intriguing nonetheless.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 23, 2012 -> 03:32 PM)
Small sample size. I try to avoid getting too worked up over hitters in the AFL simply because of that. Brent Morel looked like a great, young hitter, Eduardo Escobar looked like he had developed gap power, Tyler Flowers looked like he could be a .270 average guy with power, and they just don't seem to pan out.

It's not a bad thing by any stretch though.

I am much more interested in pitchers and their results, so I really like what I'm seeing out of Rienzo, and while Sanchez may not quite be Sergio Santos, he's intriguing nonetheless.

Anything AFL of course is small sample size, even the full season, since they don't play every day. But after a few games, I think it is worth highlighting things when they stick well out from the expected. Andy Wilkins being one of the couple best hitters in the AFL so far, even in a 7 game sample, is worth noting.

But I agree on the pitchers, and Rienzo's performance is very encouraging. Santos Rodriguez, on the other hand, not so much.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Anything AFL of course is small sample size, even the full season, since they don't play every day. But after a few games, I think it is worth highlighting things when they stick well out from the expected. Andy Wilkins being one of the couple best hitters in the AFL so far, even in a 7 game sample, is worth noting.

But I agree on the pitchers, and Rienzo's performance is very encouraging. Santos Rodriguez, on the other hand, not so much.

I think by the nature of the league, if you get good pitching performances, it is much more encouraging than if you get good hitting. The league is geared towards hitting.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 04:14 PM)
4.2 innings, 4 hits, 5 BB, only 2 runs for Rienzo.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 24, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
Thompson 2 hits, bb, hr, sb

also...

Wilkins 1-4, RBI, R, K

S Sanchez: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 2 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 0 K, HBP

Ta Thompson: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 27, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Wonder who the Sox Brass thinks is the better first base prospect --- Wilkins or Dan Black?

Both had very similar numbers this year except that Wilkins' average was down. My guess is they view Wilkins more highly and that is only going off draft pick status (5th round v. 14th round), level (AA v. High A), age (24 v. 25).

However, with their age, it's really make or break time for both. Still wouldn't be surprised to see Viciedo at 1st longterm if our OF prospects pan out (wish is obviously a huge if).

more at link

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ws&c_id=cws

Over the past couple of years, Trayce Thompson has developed a reputation for wielding a powerful bat. It hadn't been evident in his first handful of Arizona Fall League games, but he's beginning to show it off once again.

The White Sox outfielder bashed his second homer in three games Saturday, going 2-for-4 with two RBIs and two runs scored to lead Salt River in an offensive outburst to top Mesa, 12-6.

Chicago's top prospect started his Fall League campaign by going 2-for-19 through his first seven games with two runs driven in, but has gone 4-for-11 in his last three and tripled his RBI total to six.

Thompson acknowledged that he's known in part for being a power hitter, but that he's worked harder to develop a more well-rounded approach at the plate.

"I mean I've always been able to hit home runs, since I was a kid even," he said. "I'm not really pleased with myself as far as the strikeouts -- it's a give-and-take thing. The second half of this year I cut down on those and the power was still up, so I'm pleased with that. But if I'm going to hit home runs and strike out a ton, I don't want that. I want to be a complete hitter."

Weekend catch-up...

Friday; Salt River 8, Peoria 7

Wilkins: 1-4, BB, 2 K, RBI, R

C Sanchez: 0-3, BB, R, SB

Tr Thompson: 0-4, K

Rodriguez: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Saturday: Salt River 12, Mesa 6

Wilkins: 1-6, K, RBI

Tr Thompson: 2-4, HR, BB, 2 RBI, 2 R

S Sanchez: 1 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, WP

Ta Thompson: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K

Salt River 9, Phoenix 2

Wilkins: 1-5, K, R

C Sanchez: 1-3, 2B, 2 BB, 2 RBI, R, CS

S Rodriguez: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

Santos seems to be calming down now after 2 rough outings to open the AFL. Last 5 games: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K.

Wilkins has come back down to earth a bit, but he has still gotten a hit in 11 of the 12 games he's played in. And he walked twice in the game he didn't get a hit. Strike outs seem a little high though.

Sanchez isn't hitting a ton, but I like that he continues to show a good batter's eye - his Iso OBP is .126, thanks to 8 walks.