Corwin Malone

Cerbaho-WG

not just 0-3 with 5 ERA at A ball.

That's LOW A ball.

And the four walks in 8 innings at that level are more alarming than the 13 Ks are impressive, no matter what his physical condition is.

Two years ago Malone looked like a top prospect. Now he has definitely stalled, somebody another team will take a chance on whenever he is dropped from our 40-man.

We've had a ton of guys -- Ginter, Rauch, Purvis, West, Malone, Stumm, Majewski in that category -- for a variety of reasons and ailments.

Not to mention Parque, Wells, Fogg, Guerrier and others.

Just goes to show you that developing good, consistent pitching is the toughest thing to do in baseball.

Also the most important.

That's LOW A ball.

And the four walks in 8 innings at that level are more alarming than the 13 Ks are impressive, no matter what his physical condition is.

Two years ago Malone looked like a top prospect. Now he has definitely stalled, somebody another team will take a chance on whenever he is dropped from our 40-man.

We've had a ton of guys -- Ginter, Rauch, Purvis, West, Malone, Stumm, Majewski in that category -- for a variety of reasons and ailments.

Just goes to show you that developing good, consistent pitching is the toughest thing to do in baseball.

Also the most important.

You are correct on this one but you are also off.

Don't judge Corwin by his sumulative stats right now. The 0-3 with a 5+ ERA is completely insignificant.

What is significant, is him getting his confidence back and believing that his arm is healthy. If/When he is able to get get over that mental block and let it fly again, then you can start judging his numbers again.

Corwin has really struggled and has fallen off as a prospect, you are right there. But the Sox are doing everything they can to get him back into the fold and that will mean taking baby steps with him for the rest of this year and likely into Instructional League.

Next year will be the year that in my mind, will make or break him. Could he make it to the Bigs later than that? Yeah, but the odds go down as well as the potential impact he could make.

That's LOW A ball.

Also the most important.

You are correct on this one but you are also off.

Don't judge Corwin by his sumulative stats right now. The 0-3 with a 5+ ERA is completely insignificant.

What is significant, is him getting his confidence back and believing that his arm is healthy. If/When he is able to get get over that mental block and let it fly again, then you can start judging his numbers again.

Corwin has really struggled and has fallen off as a prospect, you are right there. But the Sox are doing everything they can to get him back into the fold and that will mean taking baby steps with him for the rest of this year and likely into Instructional League.

Next year will be the year that in my mind, will make or break him. Could he make it to the Bigs later than that? Yeah, but the odds go down as well as the potential impact he could make.

Interesting theory, but in reality an honest question. Have you seen a prospect go this high, fall this far this fast, and still make it in the bigs?

I'm sure there have been such examples, but I don't know of any off the top of my head. I never said I think he will make it, only that to judge his progress accurately, his numbers right now are not as important as him making progress and showing signs of improvement. Those signs could simply be throwing more innings, walking less guys, striking out more, etc. Another could be just staying healthy and throwing without pain.

Any of those signs could indicate progress, not necessarily all of them.

I'm sure there have been such examples, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.  I never said I think he will make it, only that to judge his progress accurately, his numbers right now are not as important as him making progress and showing signs of improvement.  Those signs could simply be throwing more innings, walking less guys, striking out more, etc.  Another could be just staying healthy and throwing without pain. 

Any of those signs could indicate progress, not necessarily all of them.

Well if Ankiel makes it back up, you could make a case for him, but thats a big questionmark right now.

Would someone like Jose Lima kind of count. Went way up, fell way down and is now doing good for the Royals (Albeit this was at the major league level).

i agree that the mental part is crucial.

he showed so much progress in 2001 when he improved his control and dominated in stretches that there was talk he would be in the rotation by now.

it hasn't worked out for a variety of reasons, but that is so common. Can name a million in similar situations -- Paul Wilson, Pulsipher, Mark Redman, Jeff Austin, Ryan Bradley, Ryan Anderson, etc -- for every team in the big leagues.

as you said, first he must regain his confidence. They prove himself again at higher levels. He's shown enough ability to merit patience.

The question is how long the Sox will be willing to wait -- and how long they can hold on to him before he become a 6-year minor league free agent.

I hope he makes it. Can never have enough good lefties.

A more important question is, why haven't Rauch, Ginter, West and Majewski developed as hoped. I know Rauch, Purvis and Malone have been injured.

I just remember back to all the glowing reports about the Sox young pitchers in 2000 and how the first wave of young arms would make Baldwin, Sirotka, Eldred Etc. expendable.

other than Buehrle -- and at times Garland -- it has not worked as planned

just a thought

Well in regards to Majewski, he's gonna be really good. That kid has a phenomenal arm and if you take away his first month (Just like Munoz) his numbers are fairly impressive.

The kid flat has gas on his fastball with excellent movement.

Rauch has had nothing all year and I don't think he's gonna make it.

Well in regards to Majewski, he's gonna be really good.  That kid has a phenomenal arm and if you take away his first month (Just like Munoz) his numbers are fairly impressive. 

You've got to give Rauch another year to prove himself. It takes time to fully recover from these surguries. I've seen it time and time again. Note that the Yankees signed Jon Leiber to a two year deal when they knew he wouldn't be healthy enough to pitch at all till right about now. They know the history.... out one year, one year of marginal effectiveness, then back to normal. In leiber's case, it will be almost two full years since the surgery by the time spring training rolls around, so he should be back to his normal, high quality pitching self by then.

Well in regards to Majewski, he's gonna be really good.  That kid has a phenomenal arm and if you take away his first month (Just like Munoz) his numbers are fairly impressive. 

You've got to give Rauch another year to prove himself. It takes time to fully recover from these surguries. I've seen it time and time again. Note that the Yankees signed Jon Leiber to a two year deal when they knew he wouldn't be healthy enough to pitch at all till right about now. They know the history.... out one year, one year of marginal effectiveness, then back to normal. In leiber's case, it will be almost two full years since the surgery by the time spring training rolls around, so he should be back to his normal, high quality pitching self by then.

Funny you should mention Lieber. He made his first rehab appearance in rookie ball last Friday.

I'll definately give Rauch a chance.  He seems like a good kid and he tries out there.  I'd love for him to get his velocity and stuff back but I heard that this year in Charlotte he has had absolutely nothing.

Next year, Rauch will be back up to par.