Chicago White Sox vs. Cleveland Indians

justBLAZE

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
If this continues the rest of the year, it will be interesting who the scapegoat is.

Hard to blame Cooper with the rookies and 3 guys pushed well beyond the limit in terms of their past and recent seasons (Peavy, Quintana, Sale) as well as the erratic, uncoachable Liriano.

That leaves Ventura, Manto and KW.

Funny, the Yankees can always use pitching these days and gave up on both Quintana and McAllister, who suddenly looks like a world-beater in the crisp SEPT weather.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
Here's the $64,000 question: is the offense choking, tired because Robin has used the regulars too much this year, or some combination of both? And, if think it's both, is it MORE the choking part or the tired part?

Latter, but you can't really blame him. Our bench for over half the year was comical.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 02:01 AM)
Here's the $64,000 question: is the offense choking, tired because Robin has used the regulars too much this year, or some combination of both? And, if think it's both, is it MORE the choking part or the tired part?

Combination of a lot of things it seems. Right now, it seems like everyone is way too tight. I also think that refusing to move Rios into the 3rd spot has hurt this lineup.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)

It's because someone applied a bit of pressure to the team. Their back ends pucker and everything becomes swing to be a hero.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 02:00 AM)
Running into outs. Is Ventura reading the Ozzie Guillen approach to losing the division. Let Beckham concentrate on the AB and not forcing the situation.

Beckham struck out in the Angels series when Alexei was running on a 2 strike pitch.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
Running into outs. Is Ventura reading the Ozzie Guillen approach to losing the division. Let Beckham concentrate on the AB and not forcing the situation.

He's desperate to get a double (Beckham had 3 of them in 4 previous at-bats against McA) and tie the game up there.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 08:02 PM)
Latter, but you can't really blame him. Our bench for over half the year was comical.

Oh I tend to agree with you on that, but they were still overused. That's more a GM issue than a manager issue.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
It's because someone applied a bit of pressure to the team. Their back ends pucker and everything becomes swing to be a hero.

But the Tigers have been 3 1/2 back to 1 1/2 games ahead (briefly) for nearly 4 1/2 months now.

That's not the only reason.

Part of it has to be the lack of rest for regulars like AJ for most of the first 4 months. Our weak bench is partially to blame. When you have AAAA lifers like Olmedo that play the way they do in key games, or Jose Lopez, what other options are there?

And then you've had the erratic and inconsistent bullpen to deal with all season long....with all the rookies and the injury to Crain.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 25, 2012 -> 02:04 AM)
Oh I tend to agree with you on that, but they were still overused. That's more a GM issue than a manager issue.

Yep, never finding a legitimate back-up infielder at the deadline was a mistake. I do think Ventura will make some adjustments next year with regards to mixing up his lineups a little more with bench players instead of using Sunday lineups.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 24, 2012 -> 08:06 PM)
Yep, never finding a legitimate back-up infielder at the deadline was a mistake. I do think Ventura will make some adjustments next year with regards to mixing up his lineups a little more with bench players instead of using Sunday lineups.

Yeah. Hopefully he has a better bench to do that with (aka Kenny learns his lesson too). I don't want this to look like a defense of the lineup, because choking is definitely part of this. I just think fatigue definitely is too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101