GT 9/27: TB @ CWS, 7:10pm CT

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 02:44 PM)
I think the Sox would need a big play to get pumped up over.

Did you see the reaction to Dunn's 3 run homer?

Yea , i saw. But what i mean is did u see how pumped they got over fielder going to second? They get pumped after every situation thats going in their favor is what i mean.

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 02:39 PM)
I'm so sick of people saying this. They're good enough to have just swept a team that kicked the Sox ass since the ASB. Tigers were also good enough to dominate the Sox the last few months as well.

Be sick of it. It is true, they aren't very good. They are struggling to win the worst division in baseball. The only reason they won today was because the s***ty team they were playing made 5 errors.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
Be sick of it. It is true, they aren't very good. They are struggling to win the worst division in baseball. The only reason they won today was because the s***ty team they were playing made 5 errors.

They found a way to beat the Royals, same exact thing the Sox couldn't do this year. Tigers are probably going to end up winning 88 games or so and have a solid chance in the postseason. They're definitely a good team, as were the Sox up until 8 days or so ago.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
I'm so sick of people saying this. They're good enough to have just swept a team that kicked the Sox ass since the ASB. Tigers were also good enough to dominate the Sox the last few months as well.

They aren't. AT ALL.

They were supposed to run away with this terrible division and have stumbled all year long and JUST YESTERDAY topped a White Sox team many predicted to lose 90 games. They're AL Central Good. That's it. They;re finally getting it together for the final 8 games and will take a miracle to get to 90 wins

The defense, inconsistant play on the road, and questionable back end of the rotation and closer will shine though in October. Guaranteed.

Tigers are not a very good team on the road. I look for KC to take 2 of 3 in KC. Tigers probably take 2 of 3 from Minny. So they go 3-3. That means we have to go 4-2 to tie, 5-1 to win. Tie does us no good since we can't beat Detroit. (How freakin' big was last night's loss!)

I'm thinking they might find a way to split with TB, which means we'd have to sweep the tribe in Cleveland. Obviously they have to play better to do it, but it's not out of the question. Still, more likely a 3-3 finish for the Sox as well. Again, HUGE loss last night.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
They found a way to beat the Royals, same exact thing the Sox couldn't do this year. Tigers are probably going to end up winning 88 games or so and have a solid chance in the postseason. They're definitely a good team, as were the Sox up until 8 days or so ago.

Beating a team that is 16 games under 500 doesn't make you a good team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
Beating a team that is 16 games under 500 doesn't make you a good team.

I never said they were a good team only based on beating KC. As I mentioned, they're likely going to end up around 88-74, which is a pretty solid record. It's not like they're going 81-81 and making the postseason.

Edited by fathom

Detroit's health is what is winning them this division. Their 3/4 hitters are going to play ~160 games and have been basically unencumbered offensively by injuries. Their top 3 starters all got healthy for the stretch run as well as their talented leadoff hitter. The rest of that team is very suspect (that's baseball, right?)

If the Tigers go 3-3, they will have played the final 81 games at 48-33. They're a good team, with bad defense. If the ball is hit right at them in the postseason, they have just as good of a chance to win the World Series as any other team.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 08:03 PM)
Detroit's health is what is winning them this division. Their 3/4 hitters are going to play ~160 games and have been basically unencumbered offensively by injuries. Their top 3 starters all got healthy for the stretch run as well as their talented leadoff hitter. The rest of that team is very suspect (that's baseball, right?)

Yep, their stars stayed healthy for a majority of the year and seem strong down the stretch (besides Scherzer). Konerko's injury/struggles has been the turning point in the divisional race, IMO.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)

Scherzer was just scratched from their Friday game. Smyly in. And JV is hurting. So actually, their top starters are exactly what is getting unhealthy now. We'll see if it makes any difference though.

Agree on their offense though, that is the big difference maker for them.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 03:07 PM)
Because he's a veteran, over 200 innings, a free agent, and the season is over. That's just what they do.

I have never seen "they" (them) do that, and I see no reason to do so now. If anything, he wants to prove he has the strength to keep going. So I highly doubt they sit him.

They may site Sale and Quintana though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 03:10 PM)
I have never seen "they" (them) do that, and I see no reason to do so now. If anything, he wants to prove he has the strength to keep going. So I highly doubt they sit him.

They may site Sale and Quintana though.

Buehrle used to do that. 30 starts/10 wins/200 innings...he sat.

If the Sox are out of it on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday will be a lot of Axelrod, Humber, Marinez, Heath, Septimo, Omogrosso.

Maybe....maybe Peavy goes out for a few innings just for the start, but I doubt it.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)
MUST WIN tonight....(Duh)

If Sox can somehow win 3/4 against the Rays I like our chances, with Detroit on the road.

Knowing this team and White Sox season-ending baseball in general, they will now sweep the Rays.

But realistically, they should probably get swept the way they have been playing.