Sept 29 Devil Rays @ White Sox: Memorial Day Pt. 2

Quin

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
Does a 4 mil buyout of Peavy's contract count toward this year's payroll, or next year's? How do they look at that?

I have the Sox at 72.75 mil next year for 8 players. 82.25 if you include Floyd.

I believe you'd count it to next year's

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:31 PM)
Does a 4 mil buyout of Peavy's contract count toward this year's payroll, or next year's? How do they look at that?

I have the Sox at 72.75 mil next year for 8 players. 82.25 if you include Floyd.

Next year's, pretty sure. Same for Youk's $1 million. Can't remember if the Astros gave us the money for Myers' buyout or not, would have to look at it more closely.

At $9.5 million, with our revenue issues and Gavin's inability to be consistent since 2008, you'd lean towards letting him go, but we've just got too many lefties with Danks, Quintana, Sale and Santiago not to need some balance there.

I wouldn't make a move on Gavin's option until the last possible moment. You'd love to reallocate that money to a more surefire righty, but you may not be able to with the typical FA market. The real question is, would you give 12-13 for 2 years to Peavy or 9.5 to Gavin over one season? (let's pretend that Peavy would take that deal from us because the market isn't as crazy as we think or he wants to give us a hometown discount, etc)

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
I wouldn't make a move on Gavin's option until the last possible moment. You'd love to reallocate that money to a more surefire righty, but you may not be able to with the typical FA market. The real question is, would you give 12-13 for 2 years to Peavy or 9.5 to Gavin over one season? (let's pretend that Peavy would take that deal from us because the market isn't as crazy as we think or he wants to give us a hometown discount, etc)

No way does Peavy only take 2/25. He'll try and get as much as possible given that it's probably his last big multiyear deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
No way does Peavy only take 2/25. He'll try and get as much as possible given that it's probably his last big multiyear deal.

How many years do you think he'll get? Do you think the Dodgers are really going to add MORE to their payroll at this point?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
8-4 (Tigers) vs. 3-9 for the Sox down the stretch.

Probably going to be 3-10 for the White Sox, as Price has his last chance to make a final statement to the Cy Young voters.

People on here underestimated how awful of a match-up Tampa was for the Sox this weekend. With the offense in a huge funk, the last thing the Sox needed was to face the best pitching staff in the AL.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:38 PM)
Absolutely. I predict 3/45 for Peavy.

If I'm the Sox I would consider 3/33 (not sure yet if I'd do it) and just hope that the Dodgers achieve lucidity

lol @ Rios making his teammates look bad

I'm very interested in how Tank does next year. An uptick in his power numbers puts him in pretty dangerous territory. Since he hasn't finished the season on any particular hot streak, we'll see what can be gained just from being used to the grind, healthy, perhaps in better shape, and working on whatever he needs to work on skill-wise.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)
People on here underestimated how awful of a match-up Tampa was for the Sox this weekend. With the offense in a huge funk, the last thing the Sox needed was to face the best pitching staff in the AL.

So who are you pulling for between Oakland, LAA and TB?

Who do you most want to see, I would guess you would prefer Baltimore over NYY and Texas?

Glad I decided to go on a trip during our 9 day October holidays (October 1st, 1949 founding of modern PRC and Mid-Autumn Festival/Mooncake Day) instead of being stuck at home not listening/watching the Sox in the post-season.

I guess right that we weren't going to make it after the Angels' series.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:42 PM)
I'm very interested in how Tank does next year. An uptick in his power numbers puts him in pretty dangerous territory. Since he hasn't finished the season on any particular hot streak, we'll see what can be gained just from being used to the grind, healthy, perhaps in better shape, and working on whatever he needs to work on skill-wise.

If you can get good value for him, I have no problem if he's traded.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
Viciedo is so clueless on how to swing against RHP. I looked at the stats, and I forgot how bad he was against them last year as well.

His hole is inside which is much more fixable than a guy that only pulls. Getting a guy to go from seeing the ball too deep to catching it out front is a lot easier than the reverse in my experience. He can also adjust just about nothing physically and change his pitch selection, cutting out all the swings on fastballs inside off the plate.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)

I hope I'm wrong, but I think that guy is "what you see is what you get". This is him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
So who are you pulling for between Oakland, LAA and TB?

Who do you most want to see, I would guess you would prefer Baltimore over NYY and Texas?

Glad I decided to go on a trip during our 9 day October holidays (October 1st, 1949 founding of modern PRC and Mid-Autumn Festival/Mooncake Day) instead of being stuck at home not listening/watching the Sox in the post-season.

I guess right that we weren't going to make it after the Angels' series.

Teams I'd like to see win the World Series, in order:

- Reds

- Nationals

- Orioles

- Cardinals

- A's

- Don't want to see anyone else win

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:45 PM)

- Reds

- Nationals

- Orioles

- Cardinals

- A's

Yuck, Reds. My mom and her side are Cardinals fans so I'll pull for them or Washington.

First, I want the Braves to beat the Cardinals. I don't want them winning the second wild card in the NL, and then see them go to the World Series.

Then I want the Nationals and Reds to play in the NLCS. As long as it's entertaining, I don't care who wins.

AL--I'll be pulling for the Orioles, but other than that, just give me good baseball. I put aside the Tigers hate once the playoffs start.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)

- Reds

- Nationals

- Orioles

- Cardinals

- A's

I don't really like Showalter, but it would be great for baseball in Balt. Just can't see their pitching holding up consistently through an entire post-season, or Johnson.

A's, would be quite the career comeback for Billy Beane. After today, the Angels could be only 1 GB if they play the Rangers, with TB 2 back and raring to get to 17 over tmrw with Price. The Moneyball guys (Sorkin/Lewis) would have to write another one if they were to win a World Series and get a stadium finally built out there.

This extra WC spot has definitely added some excitement.

And don't like Rizzo or Harper, although, once again, great for baseball in the DC area. Baltimore and Washington would be amazing, although not so much for t.v. ratings.

And Matheny's quietly done a solid/steady job without Pujols and without much national fanfare or attention.

Could be a coming out party for Cueto and Aroldis Chapman.

Edited by caulfield12