Sept 29 Devil Rays @ White Sox: Memorial Day Pt. 2

Quin

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:59 PM)
Hey, I've loved flavum's post about standings/upcoming schedule all year.

Thanks. I always looked at the Tigers series in late August, the Sox needed to be at 73-57, and then go 18-14 the final 32. Turned out they didn't need to be that good, but they ain't getting to 18-14 either. Crappy end to a season, but there are some positive things about this team. Mostly that they can get rid of some these old guys over the next couple years, and they have some pretty solid offensive prospects.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Can you chalk up all the s***ty AB's and bonehead plays that have cost us?

Can you ignore the strikingly large amount of production he's given us? Do you not like that he's been arguably more productive than our 4 hitter while playing the most important defensive position better than anyone in baseball?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
I would assume season ticket sales will be 4000 less than this year or so cause of the lousy economy. Sox may need to make a splash and add somebody, anybody who might sell tickets. I'd bring back Buehrle for ticket reasons, get Miami to pay some of the contract and try to add a power starter as well.

And if you can trade Rios, do so and try to add a bat.

How many starters do you want?

Sale, Buehrle, Danks, Q, Power Starter, Floyd, Roger Clemens, anyone else?

Trading Rios and then adding a bat would make no sense

QUOTE (Baron @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:05 PM)
How much money to do you think Jerry will let us spend?

No idea, but if they slash payroll, I wouldn't blame them. The harsh reality is that the Sox weren't supposed to contend this year, and this was to be a rebuilding process for a few years. I highly doubt they're going to go out and go "all in" this offseason and try to get someone like David Wright. I forgot who said it, but Sale really should be the only untouchable this offseason.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:02 PM)
I would assume season ticket sales will be 4000 less than this year or so cause of the lousy economy. Sox may need to make a splash and add somebody, anybody who might sell tickets. I'd bring back Buehrle for ticket reasons, get Miami to pay some of the contract and try to add a power starter as well.

And if you can trade Rios, do so and try to add a bat.

It will stay about the same.

There's no way we're losing 20-25% of our season ticket base. If it was going to happen, it mostly happened coming into this year.

Buehrle's not going to sell ANY tickets if the White Sox are +/- 5 games of .500, any more than Youkilis did after he was acquired.

Power starter? Good luck on that one, at the rates that teams are paying, our 2nd "power" starter in Peavy's going to be grossly overpaid.

And you expect Rios to tank, so you're just going to dump him for not much in return and then expect to replace his 2012 production somehow?

That's a recipe for disaster.

I can't imagine very many players in baseball that the Sox could acquire that would actually boost attendance on an average or slightly above average Sox team. Maybe not even Josh Hamilton would do it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
No idea, but if they slash payroll, I wouldn't blame them.

Well if they start that they might as well start rebuilding. I dont see a need for that after this year. Infact I think it would be foolish.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:05 PM)
Can you ignore the strikingly large amount of production he's given us? Do you not like that he's been arguably more productive than our 4 hitter while playing the most important defensive position better than anyone in baseball?

How many starters do you want?

Sale, Buehrle, Danks, Q, Power Starter, Floyd, Roger Clemens, anyone else?

Trading Rios and then adding a bat would make no sense

I would take Alcides Escobar in a heartbeat over Ramirez at this point in their careers. But that's a pipe dream.

This year was meant to be the start of a rebuild and I think we need to approach next year with a somewhat similar mindset but still far more aggressive. Add players/dollars to the existing commitments if you can improve the team. Try as much as possible to put another winner out there next year. You might do other things like give Hector Santiago a spot in the rotation as a cost cutting measure, though.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 06:09 PM)
I would take Alcides Escobar in a heartbeat over Ramirez at this point in their careers. But that's a pipe dream.

You heathen..... How dare you say that about the almighty Cuban.....

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:07 PM)
No idea, but if they slash payroll, I wouldn't blame them. The harsh reality is that the Sox weren't supposed to contend this year, and this was to be a rebuilding process for a few years. I highly doubt they're going to go out and go "all in" this offseason and try to get someone like David Wright. I forgot who said it, but Sale really should be the only untouchable this offseason.

And some are going to argue that it's better to leverage him for prospects as he's an injury risk and that we'll only have him for possibly one or maybe two years (2014/15) when we're going to be legit contenders in the AL Central before he leaves via free agency.

That's the pessimistic viewpoint.

I wouldn't trade Viciedo, simply because I think you're not going to get a good enough return and he deserves another year to prove what he can do before any conclusions can be reached. Same thing with trading Quintana, who's just as likely to go 2012 Humber as be a core member of the rotation for the next five seasons. Santiago, no idea what to expect out of him or what his role might be.

3B is a mess. CF might be a mess if we stick DeAza out there again. Catching is a mess if Flowers is your plan without a back-up who can play everyday or at least platoon. Suzuki and Jaso have been mentioned quite a bit, there have to be some others we haven't thought of.

We've got a ton of question marks surrounding our starting rotation and Konerko's health and age as well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:13 PM)
4 straight innings the Twins got the leadoff man on, and no runs scored off of Verlander. So much for all the innings catching up to him.

And no longer vulnerable on the road, either.

That Royals game is looking more and more like a career aberration game and not a sign of a trend against him developing.

And Katie Upton didn't serve as enough of a distraction, either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
And some are going to argue that it's better to leverage him for prospects as he's an injury risk and that we'll only have him for possibly one or maybe two years (2014/15) when we're going to be legit contenders in the AL Central before he leaves via free agency.

That's the pessimistic viewpoint.

I wouldn't trade Viciedo, simply because I think you're not going to get a good enough return and he deserves another year to prove what he can do before any conclusions can be reached. Same thing with trading Quintana, who's just as likely to go 2012 Humber as be a core member of the rotation for the next five seasons. Santiago, no idea what to expect out of him or what his role might be.

3B is a mess. CF might be a mess if we stick DeAza out there again. Catching is a mess if Flowers is your plan without a back-up who can play everyday or at least platoon. Suzuki and Jaso have been mentioned quite a bit, there have to be some others we haven't thought of.

We've got a ton of question marks surrounding our starting rotation and Konerko's health and age as well.

Our CF situation is a mess??? What??? If you can't trust him to turn in another good year then you can officially put every single position down as a question mark.

Quintana is far more likely to stay in our rotation for a long time than he is to become "2012 Humber." Q is 23 and Humber is 29. Q has done nothing but succeed as a professional baseball player as opposed to Humber who floundered everywhere and several years at the highest levels before catching fire for us. Q has much more going for him and it would be much more of a surprise if he became unserviceable rather than maybe a slight regression

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
Wise is such an automatic out now.

He's a great sub, nothing else. Pods would have been just as strong an acquisition.

Nice to see the Sox battle today. What a pathetic effort again. Poor fans who paid to see this shadow-ridden snoozefest. Have fun golfing later next week, White Sox. Hope you enjoy your participation trophy from this year.