Sept 29 Devil Rays @ White Sox: Memorial Day Pt. 2

Quin

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny and Jerry have been really quiet of late. Ditto Robin. Without Oz here, not much noise from upstairs. Wonder what KW thinks of this choke-job. It's the same s*** every single game. KW has to be f***ing furious. If he wasn't, wouldn't he have sought out the media to blame injuries?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:25 PM)
Kenny and Jerry have been really quiet of late. Ditto Robin. Without Oz here, not much noise from upstairs. Wonder what KW thinks of this choke-job. It's the same s*** every single game. KW has to be f***ing furious. If he wasn't, wouldn't he have sought out the media to blame injuries?

KW is doing what he should do -- letting it all shake out. b****ing and moaning doesn't get you anywhere, if you want to rewrite the story of September by talking about injuries you can do that later

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)
The sooner this season ends, the better. I dont even wnat to see this team in the playoffs, it would just be embarrassing.

There's the chance we might have gotten shut out every playoff game which you are right, would be embarrassing. But as we all know, the season has four games left. So rest easy.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:21 PM)
Our CF situation is a mess??? What??? If you can't trust him to turn in another good year then you can officially put every single position down as a question mark.

Quintana is far more likely to stay in our rotation for a long time than he is to become "2012 Humber." Q is 23 and Humber is 29. Q has done nothing but succeed as a professional baseball player as opposed to Humber who floundered everywhere and several years at the highest levels before catching fire for us. Q has much more going for him and it would be much more of a surprise if he became unserviceable rather than maybe a slight regression

It's going to be like Mark Buehrle Version 2.0 the first 2-3 seasons of his career. Nothing will be given to him, he's going to have to prove himself year after year.

To me, one area he REALLY needs to improve upon is fielding his position. He's another verson of Clayton Richard, and not in a good way.

And not sure how much of it is further coaching, and how much of it is he's just really bad at that aspect of the game.

But he's been a gamer and bulldog for most of the season and showed up in key situations where veterans were spitting the bit.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
Why, are you still holding out hope that we catch a spark and suddenly start being good again? It ain't happening. Not without divine intervention.

The statement about not wanting to see the team in the playoffs. It would have been great to see and get some sort of reward for this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:26 PM)
He has? He's been average. Nothing great, nothing awful. I'd prefer he play a little more shallow.

I'm thinking in terms of his defense being good (in the sense that he's clearly a capable CF, does not need to be moved off the position) and the fact that his bat is much more valuable in that position given what I said about his defense

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 10:26 PM)
KW is doing what he should do -- letting it all shake out. b****ing and moaning doesn't get you anywhere, if you want to rewrite the story of September by talking about injuries you can do that later

Everyone knows the players are choking. Complaining in the media about them isn't going to help that. Just about everyone on the team has struggled down the stretch or failed miserably in big spots, so calling out one or two guys isn't going to help anything.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:27 PM)
It's going to be like Mark Buehrle Version 2.0 the first 2-3 seasons of his career. Nothing will be given to him, he's going to have to prove himself year after year.

To me, one area he REALLY needs to improve upon is fielding his position. He's another verson of Clayton Richard, and not in a good way.

And not sure how much of it is further coaching, and how much of it is he's just really bad at that aspect of the game.

But he's been a gamer and bulldog for most of the season and showed up in key situations where veterans were spitting the bit.

Yep, he'll always have to produce. We can also send him to the minors if he starts out slowly since we have just a hair of depth at the position (assuming Hector, Axelrod aren't in the MLB rotation and guys like Castro and Leesman keep it up in the MiLB). The book won't be closed on Q for a long time and I'd say the future is very bright. A 180 IP, 4.00 ERA season seems very possible next year

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)
Sorry buddy, have to disagree with you on this

If the season is over, Sale deserves the rest and he's just looking nothing like the same pitcher at USCF he was the first 4 months of the season.

Peavy and Quintana have both been pushed to the limit as well.

Don't even know who our 3rd starter is right now. Presumably Gavin Floyd.

Frankly, it reminds me of an Iowa/OSU football game at Kinnick when I was an undergrad we led the whole way until the final play of the game. Except that shocking, as it happened in just a 3-4 hour timespan and this one wasn't completely unpredictable or unexpected as the trend lines started to develop the last month or so.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
Yep, he'll always have to produce. We can also send him to the minors if he starts out slowly since we have just a hair of depth at the position (assuming Hector, Axelrod aren't in the MLB rotation and guys like Castro and Leesman keep it up in the MiLB). The book won't be closed on Q for a long time and I'd say the future is very bright. A 180 IP, 4.00 ERA season seems very possible next year

Agree with ya about Q

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
I wonder why Dweezy is good for a long stretch then so bad. Must be the nature of baseball when you have average skills.

Yeah probably an issue of sample size and favorable match ups at first. I'm sure people started scouting him more thoroughly after he started getting more at bats, too