Game thread, 1:10CST CSN

JoshPR

From the mod at motown sports.

12 games ago the Tigs were 9 over 500, the Sox were 15. Since then the Sox have lost 10/12 and the Tigs have won 8/12. It's a been a very nice run to the finish for the Tigs for sure, but if the Sox had just played 500 we are still a game back.

Pretty epic collapse by the Palehose. If Boston hadn't done what they did last year maybe it would be standing out more right now.

OUCH! Detroit is the one who avoided an epic collapse.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
BTW another awesome Kurt Russell avatar. Big Trouble in Little China is a favorite.

Thanks man(Thats my second favorite movie behind Blade Runner)....I have a few more Ill use over the months.

Edited by Baron

The team was a lot better than I figured they would be. I just think they ran out of gas and some key guys were hurting. Konerko and Dunn are clearly playing hurt right now. Youkilis was worn down. Sale and Quintana were pitching in uncharted waters. A ton of young guys in the bullpenThere really wasn't anything that could be done that wasn't already, and I'm one of KW's biggest critics. Throwing Phil Humber a couple more times to the wolves wouldn't have helped the W/L record. Unfortunately the Sox are on the short end this time. Maybe it takes them to another level next year. Things are hopefully done in the winter to make the team strong from the start. We will see. I'm certainly not pessimistic about 2013 unless they decide to take it all apart.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 11:46 PM)
Just looking at the stats, Rays have went 9-1 and probably will not see the post season. A surreal team era will not overcome the worst D in baseball.

That's cause the Rays are in an amazing division. The only way we can make the playoffs now and in the future is to win our division, cause we are not near wild card contention status in the future. Sox aren't in the same class as the perennial wild card contenders. We can beat them head to head many times, but in a full season, we don't stand a chance at compiing a record good enough for wild card contention. We better hope Detroit remains an underachieving team. Looks like KC doesn't have it with the worst owner in sports history. Cleveland is way too cheap as well as Minnie. The Royals can get their jollies off by beating our ass every year, but not contend.

I still can't believe we stopped contending after '05. I thought we had learned how to beat the teams in our division. Detroit looks like it should be able to win this division every year. They have more money to spend than anybody and they have the best players/pitchers

Sox are in a good position to tear it up now completely cause after this collapse I don't think many fans will be against a "total rebuild."

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Plus you can't fill a hole by creating a canyon. I don't trust this organization trading affordable everyday players (exception Adam Dunn) for prospects. You still need people at the ballpark. Only Bill Wirtz was excellent at alienating a fan base. Let's no go there.

Yep. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 30, 2012 -> 08:54 PM)
That's cause the Rays are in an amazing division. The only way we can make the playoffs now and in the future is to win our division, cause we are not near wild card contention status in the future. Sox aren't in the same class as the perennial wild card contenders. We can beat them head to head many times, but in a full season, we don't stand a chance at compiing a record good enough for wild card contention. We better hope Detroit remains an underachieving team. Looks like KC doesn't have it with the worst owner in sports history. Cleveland is way too cheap as well as Minnie. The Royals can get their jollies off by beating our ass every year, but not contend.

I still can't believe we stopped contending after '05. I thought we had learned how to beat the teams in our division. Detroit looks like it should be able to win this division every year. They have more money to spend than anybody and they have the best players/pitchers

Sox are in a good position to tear it up now completely cause after this collapse I don't think many fans will be against a "total rebuild."

Glass isn't the worst, but he's in the bottom 10.

They've spent money, just not always wisely, on players like Gil Meche, Jose Guillen, Kendall, Francouer, etc.

It's just that they needed "band aids" to hold down the fort and try to remain competitive until all the youngsters arrived.

They do have a great core, if Myers and Hosmer are both the real deals. Escobar is very solid, Perez is going to be an All-Star, Gordon led the majors in doubles, it has always been the pitching staff.

Cain needs to stay healthy. Imagine if they'd had a healthy Melky Cabrera instead of Sanchez? Combined with Guthrie?

Then you have to look at all the pitching problems. Hochevar has never come close to realizing his potential, and they had 2-3 top prospects go down due to TJ surgery and wild ineffectiveness. If all of those pitching prospects fizzle out, like most of ours did in 1999-2002, then they've got a real problem.

But I can't disagree with the approach.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2012 -> 04:22 AM)
Glass isn't the worst, but he's in the bottom 10.

They've spent money, just not always wisely, on players like Gil Meche, Jose Guillen, Kendall, Francouer, etc.

It's just that they needed "band aids" to hold down the fort and try to remain competitive until all the youngsters arrived.

They do have a great core, if Myers and Hosmer are both the real deals. Escobar is very solid, Perez is going to be an All-Star, Gordon led the majors in doubles, it has always been the pitching staff.

Cain needs to stay healthy. Imagine if they'd had a healthy Melky Cabrera instead of Sanchez? Combined with Guthrie?

Then you have to look at all the pitching problems. Hochevar has never come close to realizing his potential, and they had 2-3 top prospects go down due to TJ surgery and wild ineffectiveness. If all of those pitching prospects fizzle out, like most of ours did in 1999-2002, then they've got a real problem.

But I can't disagree with the approach.

I know Gordon was trying to become the team's single season doubles leader. I don't know if he's gonna make it or not. KC sucks, though. Horrible franchise cause of Glass IMO.