White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 06:54 PM)
There has to be someone out there that would be better than Jack Hannahan at 3B. Hopefully this tweet is true and Hahn is trying to get creative, because settling for crap this early in the off-season is completely unacceptable IMO.

What do you expect, considering there is no money to work with, not many prospects to trade, and apparently no one willing to give us much for the major league pieces we're willing to move?

Apparently Youkilis wants one more big contract or a "premium" figure for 1 year. Since $13 million seems to be the magic number this week, my guess is he wants something along those lines. Not happening for us.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 05:50 PM)
He's not even a platoon player, he just sucks. I don't even want him for the bench.

If Brent Morel and/or Jack Hannahan are our 3B next year, then we won't be competing for s*** and I'll start having some concerns about Hahn's chances of becoming a good GM.

You can't question it in one offseason. The Sox biggest hole right now is easily 3B and it's also easily got the greatest scarcity in the MLB right now because there are very limited resources and up to 5 other teams who have or could inquire about a 3B (I have New York, Cleveland, Oakland, LAA, and Philadelphia), so to fill it via free agency is going to be expensive or risky, and to fill it via trade could prove to be in waste because you may have the player for one or two years and then they're gone.

If Hahn decides that it's simply not worth the financial risk to bring in a guy like Youkilis on a very expensive contract, then I have every right to believe him. He's done incredibly well working other contracts into the budget, so I have faith he can do it again.

Hannahan this early in the offseason though would be incredibly disappointing. If he is brought in to strictly be a bench player, that's one thing - it's a left handed bat with a bit of power - but if he is brought in to compete for the starting gig, then the move is pretty much worse than the Teahen move.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
https://twitter.com/PMac21/status/276111390979276800

Phil Mackey

‏@PMac21

Slow day on #MNTwins front again, aside from several meetings. I heard Twins did meet with 3B Jack Hannahan's rep yesterday.

Thank God. From a personal perspective, Jack Hannahan would have depressed me. At a game last year against Cleveland, I told my buddy the Indians won't contend until they stop trotting out guys like Hannahan to play 3B.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
Thank God. From a personal perspective, Jack Hannahan would have depressed me. At a game last year against Cleveland, I told my buddy the Indians won't contend until they stop trotting out guys like Hannahan to play 3B.

Seeing the name Jake Hannahan makes me pine for Eric Chavez. WOW. That would've been bad.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 06:08 PM)
You can't question it in one offseason. The Sox biggest hole right now is easily 3B and it's also easily got the greatest scarcity in the MLB right now because there are very limited resources and up to 5 other teams who have or could inquire about a 3B (I have New York, Cleveland, Oakland, LAA, and Philadelphia), so to fill it via free agency is going to be expensive or risky, and to fill it via trade could prove to be in waste because you may have the player for one or two years and then they're gone.

If Hahn decides that it's simply not worth the financial risk to bring in a guy like Youkilis on a very expensive contract, then I have every right to believe him. He's done incredibly well working other contracts into the budget, so I have faith he can do it again.

Hannahan this early in the offseason though would be incredibly disappointing. If he is brought in to strictly be a bench player, that's one thing - it's a left handed bat with a bit of power - but if he is brought in to compete for the starting gig, then the move is pretty much worse than the Teahen move.

If they could move Floyd for Saltalamacchia and a prospect or bp arm, I'd just do that and then use the savings to sign Keppinger. Go to ST with Sale/Peavy/Danks/Santiago/Q, use the remaining scraps left in the budget to sign another pen arm or two and call it an offseason.

I don't want to move Ale...and I don't know what you're really going to add to make you any stronger of a contender this year, so what is the point?

If the DBacks would consider something like Alexei/Viciedo/Reed for Upton, I'd go for it and move Sanchez up to ss, but we know that isn't going to be enough.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:32 PM)
One thing to keep in mind, $7 million of Paulie's salary this year is deferred into $1 million increments from 2014-2020, and the additional $25 million a year kicks in for TV next year. The Sox have some wiggle room even if they are being straight about payroll remaining the same.

It was most likely deferred for a reason though...my guess is that money is already spent.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
If the DBacks would consider something like Alexei/Viciedo/Reed for Upton, I'd go for it and move Sanchez up to ss, but we know that isn't going to be enough.

The Sox really need to get a young cornerstone hitter. If they could get Upton for that and a even a little more, I'd do it.

If the Sox had the room in the budget to even consider the addition of Mike Adams (who's likely to get $4-6 mill a year), then I think they'd have the room to offer a contract to Eric Chavez too. He is the riskiest of all the 3B out there, but if used in a platoon role (.908 OPS vs RHP, .382 vs LHP last year), you can at least attempt a platoon of Morel and Chavez at 3B which helps keep Chavez healthy and gets Morel in a spot where he is more likely to succeed. And yes, he had a .908 OPS over .274 PAs. He's still a pretty damn good hitter, even if some of that is lefty porch aided.

I'd offer him a 1 year deal with a relatively easy to reach vesting option or mutual option for the 2nd...something like $5 mill for the first, $8 mill for the second. I doubt he gets anywhere near that on the market, and then you can pencil Eric Chavez in against RHP at 3B. If he's hurt, you're screwed anyways, and he replaces the lefty power that is lost by AJ's departure.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)
If the Sox had the room in the budget to even consider the addition of Mike Adams (who's likely to get $4-6 mill a year), then I think they'd have the room to offer a contract to Eric Chavez too. He is the riskiest of all the 3B out there, but if used in a platoon role (.908 OPS vs RHP, .382 vs LHP last year), you can at least attempt a platoon of Morel and Chavez at 3B which helps keep Chavez healthy and gets Morel in a spot where he is more likely to succeed. And yes, he had a .908 OPS over .274 PAs. He's still a pretty damn good hitter, even if some of that is lefty porch aided.

I'd offer him a 1 year deal with a relatively easy to reach vesting option or mutual option for the 2nd...something like $5 mill for the first, $8 mill for the second. I doubt he gets anywhere near that on the market, and then you can pencil Eric Chavez in against RHP at 3B. If he's hurt, you're screwed anyways, and he replaces the lefty power that is lost by AJ's departure.

I'd rather just go with Keppinger and say the hell with the Morel experiment, but I suppose he is just as injury prone as Chavez.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:34 PM)
The Sox really need to get a young cornerstone hitter. If they could get Upton for that and a even a little more, I'd do it.

Yeah, I am sure their demands are pretty extravagant, but one can always dream on a slow Tuesday in December. :)

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 06:34 PM)

I absolutely agree with this, but it's hard to disagree with it. Viciedo has the talent to do so but I saw a Carlos Lee comparison thrown around here, and that seems like it could be somewhat fair. He has the bat speed and power to hit .320 with 35+ homers, but I'm just not sure he has the instincts.

He kind of reminds me of Raul Mondesi.