White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
Granderson for Floyd, Thornton, and Quintana? Let the Yankees add pitching and forget about the mistake they made by letting Quintana go and let them add bullpen help. We might get something else back in this deal, too. Thoughts?

I think you have a package figured out although not sure Granderson is the target. If he was I would say there would be an OF getting dealt as well.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
Granderson's due for a huge contract soon. He's probably my favorite non-White Sox player, but I don't think it would be a good fit.

Paulie is coming off the books next year. TV money is increasing and Granderson may be inclined to give a hometown discount.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 10:51 AM)
is Granderson actually considered at all available?

Yeah I think the Yankees would do it. They are trying to free up money for the first time in ever. He's a Free Agent next year and they will have to outbid the Dodgers for Cano. I think NY would want young cost controlled for Granderson though. They would do it to dump money, not to add Thornton and Floyd.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 10:54 AM)
I think you have a package figured out although not sure Granderson is the target. If he was I would say there would be an OF getting dealt as well.

Pure speculation I assume Rock on your end? Or are you hearing that is what the Sox are looking to package in a return? Other than pitching not sure what position we would be looking for now with Keppinger in the fold.

Jesus. Rock with all these hints. I appreciate the info that you always give but now I will be checking all 30 team's rosters for players.

QUOTE (GoGoSox2k2 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 10:55 AM)
Pure speculation I assume Rock on your end? Or are you hearing that is what the Sox are looking to package in a return? Other than pitching not sure what position we would be looking for now with Keppinger in the fold.

The sox would have dealt Floyd yesterday if they could. They dont want him, but need to package him with other talent to get something of impact. Before last year I would have said Danks and Floyd would have been traded for a bat, not we are most likely packing a pen arm+money+something else to fill a lineup hole. And personally, I think this board will be outraged for the time being when they see the return on our players.

My only real info is that they are shopping for trades, hard. And our chips are pretty much what you mentioned as well as maybe one of our corner OF'ers.

I've heard PK is most likely a deadline trade candidate if ever.

Edited by RockRaines

That doesn't make me think we're going to get too much in return...:(

In a vacuum, I like Granderson a lot, but he's not a fit on a team that is already high on power and low on OBP.

I do see a team that could take on the salary of Floyd and Thornton and has a guy the Sox might like. I believe his first name starts with R and his middle name starts with A.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
In a vacuum, I like Granderson a lot, but he's not a fit on a team that is already high on power and low on OBP.

I do see a team that could take on the salary of Floyd and Thornton and has a guy the Sox might like. I believe his first name starts with R and his middle name starts with A.

no thanks to RA

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)

I can't see the Sox interested in Dickey. When it comes to pitching, they are a buy low type of team because of Don Cooper.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
So Soxtalk has finally reached the point where the reigning Cy Young winner is not good enough for the rotation. That's quite an accomplishment.

For the price he would cost in a trade, the extension he is due, and the age.. that is why I say no thanks..

Could the Sox live Viciedo at 3b? DeAza or Grandy playing LF and CF with Dayan going to 3rd presents a pretty potent lineup. You have to figure about 25 errors at 3b but would the offensive influx Granderson would supply offset that? I saw Pedro Alvarez had 27 errors and a .926 fielding % last year. I think Viciedo could put up similar numbers,defensivley.

Keppinger, or even Beckham, could be used in the utility/late inning defensive role. Just a thought.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:09 AM)
Could the Sox live Viciedo at 3b? DeAza or Grandy playing LF and CF with Dayan going to 3rd presents a pretty potent lineup. You have to figure about 25 errors at 3b but would the offensive influx Granderson would supply offset that? I saw Pedro Alvarez had 27 errors and a .926 fielding % last year. I think Viciedo could put up similar numbers,defensivley.

Keppinger, or even Beckham, could be used in the utility/late inning defensive role. Just a thought.

No. They had considered it as an emergency option only. Viciedo will not move back to 3B.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:00 AM)
That doesn't make me think we're going to get too much in return...:(

Well, would you even deal Viciedo for Gavin Floyd? Who on the Sox would you give up for Floyd? I think that shows how much value he has. Right now we need to package other assets if we want a starting bat.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Well, would you even deal Viciedo for Gavin Floyd? Who on the Sox would you give up for Floyd? I think that shows how much value he has. Right now we need to package other assets if we want a starting bat.

The crappy thing is his value would probably double at the deadline.

That's a tough question to answer, because the Sox are not looking to pick up a 4/5 starter one year away from free agency. There are teams out there for whom Gavin would be a substantial upgrade to their rotation. By himself, he gets you a very good bench/platoon bat, a decent reliever, or a promising prospect. Find a team that also has a need for Thornton and Quintana and then you're talking about an impact player in return.