White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
If it's not about money and he wants to play in front of a big crowd, then there are other teams he can sign with. If he signs with Cleveland, then he's a hypocrite.

Well, lets be realistic..the thing about fans in the seats is perhaps something he cares about, but not a huge determining factor. That would be a little much.

The fact that he's from Ohio, and Francona's there...these are also non-monetary things that I have respect for

I always respected Buerhle's honesty regarding St Louis...because usually players are far from being fan-like

Edited by Jose Paniagua

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
I thought KW said after the season that player(s) came to him concerned about the attendance.

"That was the one surprising thing for me, of down the stretch still being that second team in Chicago. I think these guys here are a great bunch of players and go about their job professionally and do the right thing. They've got a good team."

Youkilis quickly added that with the economy being as it is, he understands people can't come out to the games as much. He also explained that players want more fans at games but they have to focus on their on-field business and not the stands.

"With this season and the promise for next season, we will see better crowds,"

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 12:28 AM)
His defense has slipped as well. I think the Yankees are moving him to LF.

Getting the lefty bat should come about via trade. He gets on base, the powers there. I guess it depends on whether the sox could move Rios in a different deal. I didn't check on how many yrs he's got left on his deal..

In reference to this post...

Someone I follow on twitter said Heyman was on MLB Networks and said:

White Sox tossing around "pie in the sky" ideas. "somebody that they've loved for 5 years"

Also he just tossed Justin Upton's name into the White Sox possibility bin. Don't know if that's based on anything but he said it.

Can anyone vouch?

Edited by justBLAZE

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 08:24 PM)

White Sox tossing around "pie in the sky" ideas. "somebody that they've loved for 5 years"

Also he just tossed Justin Upton's name into the White Sox possibility bin. Don't know if that's based on anything but he said it.

Can anyone vouch?

Ive been saying all off-season the sox were interested in Upton. However, I dont think we have what it takes to get it done. I'm not giving up viciedo. De Aza + Sanchez + Reed + Johnson/Rienzo/Castro maybe? prolly not even close.

We would need to trade for someone else's prospect.

Who plays center then? Rios? :o

Can anyone vouch?

I have no doubt if they haven't made arun at Upton, they have considered it, but I heard Heyman on TV and he was speaking in generalities. He never mentioned Upton , did say they were throwing ideas around and wondering if there was someone they have longed for 5 years they could make a run it. It was not a specific player.

Can anyone vouch?

Felix Pie? :lol:

Chone Figgins? lmao

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
I have no doubt if they haven't made arun at Upton, they have considered it, but I heard Heyman on TV and he was speaking in generalities. He never mentioned Upton , did say they were throwing ideas around and wondering if there was someone they have longed for 5 years they could make a run it. It was not a specific player.

Thanks DA.

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
Ive been saying all off-season the sox were interested in Upton. However, I dont think we have what it takes to get it done. I'm not giving up viciedo. De Aza + Sanchez + Reed + Johnson/Rienzo/Castro maybe? prolly not even close.

We would need to trade for someone else's prospect.

Who plays center then? Rios? :o

Why wouldn't you give up Viciedo? He basically replaces Viciedo.

I'm not saying it has a chance of happening, but if it did, I would totally give up Viciedo.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
Why wouldn't you give up Viciedo? He basically replaces Viciedo.

I'm not saying it has a chance of happening, but if it did, I would totally give up Viciedo.

There's only one player in the entire White Sox franchise that I wouldn't give up for Justin Upton.

Can anyone vouch?

How does Upton solve the problem of having a lineup that is too right handed?

That contract will be expensive in 2014 and 2015, at over $14 million per year.

Then you still don't have a true center fielder. De Aza wants to be moved to LF, and probably should be.

He'd be a nice piece, but would you really want to give up a lot to get him?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 05:14 AM)
How does Upton solve the problem of having a lineup that is too right handed?

That contract will be expensive in 2014 and 2015, at over $14 million per year.

Then you still don't have a true center fielder. De Aza wants to be moved to LF, and probably should be.

He'd be a nice piece, but would you really want to give up a lot to get him?

Wouldn't mind a LH hitter, but I'll take am Upton over the supposed balance any day. I would rather have a good righty than a mediocre lefty just for balance.