White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

With 3B settled, White Sox feel free to look at trade market. Hoping to make a splash

Yes yes yes.

This makes a lot of sense. They've now set their baseline roster, and can start wheeling and dealing to improve it. Should be fun to watch.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
Could it be time to package Floyd and Viciedo, and add LH bat with a difference maker in the outfield? One would think this is the last offseason that any mystery surrounds DV's value.

I personally think it will be a mistake to trade Viciedo.

Last year was his first full time season and it was a success in my eyes.

He had his struggles but the guy just has too much going for him to trade in his sophomore year.

For me, you don't even consider trading him until the 2014 off-season.

It's still my contention and hope that he becomes one of the best 5 hole hitters in the league.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
I personally think it will be a mistake to trade Viciedo.

Last year was his first full time season and it was a success in my eyes.

He had his struggles but the guy just has too much going for him to trade in his sophomore year.

For me, you don't even consider trading him until the 2014 off-season.

It's still my contention and hope that he becomes one of the best 5 hole hitters in the league.

He's got talent but he's a long, long ways away. You look for progress from a guy like Viciedo throughout the year. For Viciedo, he basically had an incredible May, hit for power in September, struck out a slightly lower rate in the second half(23.9% to 20.1%), and walked incrementally more in the second half (4.9% to 5.4%...he literally walked the same amount of times, just in 24 fewer plate appearances).

There's hope, but if you can capitalize on his value, I would do so.

Joel Sherman said he heard from Youk's "colleague" that Youk didn't like playing in Chicago since the Sox didn't draw huge crowds.

So is that why he hit so well at home then? Is that also why he's looking to sign with the Indians, whose attendance is even worse?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
He's got talent but he's a long, long ways away. You look for progress from a guy like Viciedo throughout the year. For Viciedo, he basically had an incredible May, hit for power in September, struck out a slightly lower rate in the second half(23.9% to 20.1%), and walked incrementally more in the second half (4.9% to 5.4%...he literally walked the same amount of times, just in 24 fewer plate appearances).

There's hope, but if you can capitalize on his value, I would do so.

I don't think the stats quantify the progress he made last season. The quality of his bats went up and there were a series of adjustments and counter adjustments that won't be happening for the first time next year. Every time pitchers changed their approach against him last year, it required more or less a first time ever adjustment from him. He made those adjustments too, but it took time. We have to assume that next year his turn around time on these adjustments will be quicker instead of spending a month trying to hit the inside pitch in play, etc.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Joel Sherman said he heard from Youk's "colleague" that Youk didn't like playing in Chicago since the Sox didn't draw huge crowds.

So is that why he hit so well at home then? Is that also why he's looking to sign with the Indians, whose attendance is even worse?

That might be the worst reason I've ever heard in my life. Youkilis can pound sand, I hope he doesn't do jack.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)

Once a horse's ass, always a horse's ass.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
There were similiar reports about Youk being annoyed by the bad attendance. Good thing he's considering the Indians then, he'll get used to playing in front of tens and tens of fans.

I dont buy he said that, sounds like sour grapes Red Sox fans to me.

Surely Youk will make some money here in a day or less...but I have to note...if it really is a reason he didn't like playing here-- I respect that. So many ballplayers seem to just collect the check and not appreciate things about the game itself, or being at the ballpark, etc

I actually like the idea of someone appreciating that stuff. Fans should be at the park, if you want those three hours to be the ultimate experience. And they should be loud and add to the atmosphere.

If they're not there and/or not loud, what is wrong with noting that?

Edited by Jose Paniagua

Yeah, you can't b**** about players following the money while simultaneously b**** about them prioritizing non-monetary considerations. Just because the non-monetary consideration is against your team, that does not mean that the player (Youk) is a bad guy. He practically chose the White Sox when he left Boston, but something about his experience here made him not especially eager to stay. Who cares?

And if it is the attendance...are you going to say that he doesn't have a good argument?

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:22 PM)
Yeah, you can't b**** about players following the money while simultaneously b**** about them prioritizing non-monetary considerations. Just because the non-monetary consideration is against your team, that does not mean that the player (Youk) is a bad guy. He practically chose the White Sox when he left Boston, but something about his experience here made him not especially eager to stay. Who cares?

And if it is the attendance...are you going to say that he doesn't have a good argument?

If it's not about money and he wants to play in front of a big crowd, then there are other teams he can sign with. If he signs with Cleveland, then he's a hypocrite.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
If it's not about money and he wants to play in front of a big crowd, then there are other teams he can sign with. If he signs with Cleveland, then he's a hypocrite.

Or he's been misquoted?