2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
I am all for mysteries and plot twists, but there was some things that just were wtf. The black oil...so it completely destroys and breaks down the engineers for the purpose of distributing their DNA, but turns the guy into a alien impregnator/raging frankenstein monster. And the massive facehugger...um why did it grow into the size of a rhinocerous in a room by itself. The engineer goes crazy when it wakes up from its billion year sleep. why?

There are tons of little minute details that you can pick at, but the black oil purpose and reactions pissed me off the most. It was a big time Macguffin.

It also didn't help that every character in the entire movie was horribly written. The main character's boyfriend gets depressed after finding proof of alien life because he wasn't able to talk to one of the engineers within a matter of hours? GTFO. The f***ing guy who designed the machines that mapped the ruins is the one who gets lost and not able to get back to the ship? The biologist who is afraid of a dead body suddenly has the courage to get near a clearly aggressive alien snake creature? Ugh. Just so awful on so many levels.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
Has anyone seen "Trick r Treat"? I am thinking of renting it for a halloween night movie, I have read that it is one of the more underrated horror movies that has come out in the last 10 years

Yep. Must watch.

They just announced a sequel for it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
I am all for mysteries and plot twists, but there was some things that just were wtf. The black oil...so it completely destroys and breaks down the engineers for the purpose of distributing their DNA, but turns the guy into a alien impregnator/raging frankenstein monster. And the massive facehugger...um why did it grow into the size of a rhinocerous in a room by itself. The engineer goes crazy when it wakes up from its billion year sleep. why?

There are tons of little minute details that you can pick at, but the black oil purpose and reactions pissed me off the most. It was a big time Macguffin.

The black oil evolved into a weapon that the space jockeys used to mutate beings. The space jockey is pissed off because they don't like humans and their mission was to use humans to create xenomorphs to use as weapons. He was also insulted. The face hugger was a different being than the original face huggers.

That's what I got from it anyway.

Anyone out there interested in Ender's Game?

I enjoyed the novel, like surely many here also did, but am unsure about the movie.

Saw Don Jon this week....it was hard to enjoy because JGL and Scarlett Johansson played such one-note, unsympathetic characters.

It was a bit redundant/repetitive and I was disappointed he went for the typical formulaic/Hollywood story arc. Then again, he's made movies where he was so unsympathetic (like Hesher, to name one) that most studios would shy away from financing the project.

He was basically a caricature of a Jersey Shore cast member, which was just too one-dimensional.

Julianne Moore was the only saving grace of that script.

And We're the Millers, Sudeikis is on a roll...and Jennifer Anniston's really developed into a strong comedic film actress as well.

Finally, is anyone else getting tired of Vince Vaughn movies where he's essentially playing the same character (see Adam Sander, Owen Wilson or Michael Cera) over and over again?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 1, 2013 -> 03:17 PM)
Finally, is anyone else getting tired of Vince Vaughn movies where he's essentially playing the same character (see Adam Sander, Owen Wilson or Michael Cera) over and over again?

I miss the Vince Vaughn from Swingers...

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
I miss the Vince Vaughn from Swingers...

And Jon Favreau, but he's done well for himself, hasn't he?

Thor started out around 87% at rt.com, now around 84%...right in the vicinity of Avengers and Iron Man 3. Everyone's saying it's the funniest of all the Marvel movies so far.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
And Jon Favreau, but he's done well for himself, hasn't he?

Thor started out around 87% at rt.com, now around 84%...right in the vicinity of Avengers and Iron Man 3. Everyone's saying it's the funniest of all the Marvel movies so far.

If it stays there we're set, hopefully it doesn't decline more.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
I liked Bad Grandpa. I was worried that all the funny scenes would be in the trailers but there were actually a decent amount of funny scenes that werent, including two of the funniest ones.

One of those scenes came right out of Borat/Little Miss Sunshine.

It seemed like a lesser version of the Sasha Baron Cohen classic in quite a few places...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
One of those scenes came right out of Borat/Little Miss Sunshine.

It seemed like a lesser version of the Sasha Baron Cohen classic in quite a few places...

Its the same idea, but Jackass has also been doing this kind of stuff for a very long time.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 2, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
I liked Bad Grandpa. I was worried that all the funny scenes would be in the trailers but there were actually a decent amount of funny scenes that werent, including two of the funniest ones.

I thought Bad Grandpa was ok