2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 08:54 AM)
The Avengers is a constantly changing set of characters, adding Spiderman to one of the movies would be pretty awesome. It isnt needed, per se, but it would be a lot of fun

Same with Wolverine - but OH PLEASE FIND SOMEONE NEW OTHER THAN HUGH JACKMAN - even if he does nail it on the head, the character has been too bastardized with him as the poster boy.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
Same with Wolverine - but OH PLEASE FIND SOMEONE NEW OTHER THAN HUGH JACKMAN - even if he does nail it on the head, the character has been too bastardized with him as the poster boy.

If this next X Men movie knocks it out of the park, I think Jackman will be wolverine until he says he isnt. If it sucks(which, im kind of getting a bad feeling about after seeing some trailers), I think they may reboot

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:49 AM)
If this next X Men movie knocks it out of the park, I think Jackman will be wolverine until he says he isnt. If it sucks(which, im kind of getting a bad feeling about after seeing some trailers), I think they may reboot

After First Class, I honestly assumed that the X-Men was done with that other ridiculous iteration. Then they combined the two groups - and I too am terrified.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:08 AM)
After First Class, I honestly assumed that the X-Men was done with that other ridiculous iteration. Then they combined the two groups - and I too am terrified.

The attempt to fix all of the continuity errors is the part that scares me the most. They started over with First Class, they didnt need to make it one continuous storyline.

Also, seeing some of the scenes from the dystopian future in the trailers.....ehhhhh. I thought Bryan Singer would be better than "overcast world with lightning all over and everyone looking worried".

But, I saw Jack the Giant Killer, so I know Singer has the capability of BAD

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
While it was far from one my favorites in terms of entertainment, Frozen was an impressive production. It was more of a Broadway production than it was a Disney movie.

I have read nothing but good things about it

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)

I get the problems here, but having Stewart and McKellan back is a positive IMO.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
There could also be an overload of too many big names. I would rather they keep the big names they have and add lesser known characters around them. Like Black Widow and Hawkeye.

The next movie is going to have Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch.

Well, by the time Avengers 6 or 7 rolls around I'm sure there will be a whole new roster :lol:

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
Im really not a fan of both X Men and Avengers going up against Apocalypse in seperate movies, if that is what that tweet means. They are already going with two seperate versions of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch

Aren't the Avengers culminating in Thanos though? I've never read the comics, just watched the old tv shows and played the video games. Are Apocalypse and Thanos related somehow? Why does this mean the Avengers will also be going up against him?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 01:42 PM)
Well, by the time Avengers 6 or 7 rolls around I'm sure there will be a whole new roster :lol:

If some drop out, then it's fine to replace them. I just don't want an Avengers with like 50 superheroes running around.

Or maybe that would be really cool.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
Aren't the Avengers culminating in Thanos though? I've never read the comics, just watched the old tv shows and played the video games. Are Apocalypse and Thanos related somehow? Why does this mean the Avengers will also be going up against him?

No you are right, I got Thanos and Apocalypse confused.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
If some drop out, then it's fine to replace them. I just don't want an Avengers with like 50 superheroes running around.

Or maybe that would be really cool.

Seems like Spiderman is headed in that direction. Rumor is Spidey vs Sinister 6 culminating into the Venom/Carnage storyline.

Thats going to be a LOT of heros and villains running around

Two top 10 movies of 2013 lists from Entertainment Weekly.com

10. Inside Llewelyn Davis

9. Prisoners

8. World War Z

7. The Past

6. Blue Jasmine

5. Gravity

4. Fruitvale Station

3. Before Midnight

2. American Hustle

1. 12 Years a Slave

That was from Owen Gleiberman, their #1 critic.

10. The Conjuring

9. All is Lost

8. Out of the Furnace

7. Deceptive Practices: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay

6. Enough Said

5. Captain Phillips

4. Fruitvale Station

3. 12 Years a Slave

2. Gravity

1. Before Midnight

I think it's pretty safe to say that Fruitvale Station, 12 Years a Slave and Gravity will be the Top 3 Oscar contenders.

Before Midnight, Captain Phillips, American Hustle (haven't seen it yet) and All is Lost would be my second tier list for the Best Film.

FWIW, I really liked Rush and Prisoners a lot. Not sold on Before Midnight, compared to the previous two films in that trilogy, but it's definitely the darkest and some would say most realistic movie of the bunch. It's a little bit like "This is 40" for the Academy crowd.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Two top 10 movies of 2013 lists from Entertainment Weekly.com

10. Inside Llewelyn Davis

9. Prisoners

8. World War Z

7. The Past

6. Blue Jasmine

5. Gravity

4. Fruitvale Station

3. Before Midnight

2. American Hustle

1. 12 Years a Slave

That was from Owen Gleiberman, their #1 critic.

10. The Conjuring

9. All is Lost

8. Out of the Furnace

7. Deceptive Practices: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay

6. Enough Said

5. Captain Phillips

4. Fruitvale Station

3. 12 Years a Slave

2. Gravity

1. Before Midnight

I think it's pretty safe to say that Fruitvale Station, 12 Years a Slave and Gravity will be the Top 3 Oscar contenders.

Before Midnight, Captain Phillips, American Hustle (haven't seen it yet) and All is Lost would be my second tier list for the Best Film.

FWIW, I really liked Rush and Prisoners a lot. Not sold on Before Midnight, compared to the previous two films in that trilogy, but it's definitely the darkest and some would say most realistic movie of the bunch. It's a little bit like "This is 40" for the Academy crowd.

Of those I've seen Prisoners, which was awesome, and Captain Phillips which was solid. I'd like to see 12 Years a Slave and Blue Jasmine and American Hustle and maybe Out of the Furnace.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
Of those I've seen Prisoners, which was awesome, and Captain Phillips which was solid. I'd like to see 12 Years a Slave and Blue Jasmine and American Hustle and maybe Out of the Furnace.

The Los Angeles Film Critics Association named ties in three major categories Sunday. Gravity tied with Her for Best Picture, James Franco and Jared Leto tied for Best Supporting Actor for their performances in Spring Breakers and Dallas Buyers Club, and Cate Blanchett and Adèle Exarchopoulos tied for Best Actress for their work in Blue Jasmine and Blue is the Warmest Color.

Related

American Hustle' wins best picture from New York Film Critics Circle 'Her' named Best Film by National Board of Review The LAFCA did choose distinct winners in the other major acting categories. Bruce Dern was named Best Actor for his portrayal of Woody Grant in Nebraska, and Lupita Nyong’o picked up a supporting actress win for playing the tragic Patsey in 12 Years a Slave.

Gravity was the big winner beyond its Best Picture tie with Spike Jonze’s Her, walking away with nods for Best Director, Best Editing, and Best Cinematography. Also of note, Sarah Polley’s Stories We Tell — recently selected as one of the 15 docs on the Academy’s shortlist — won Best Documentary.

Noticeably absent from any recognition was David O. Russell’s American Hustle, which the New York Film Critics Circle named Best Picture; Sundance favorite and recent Gotham Awards-winner Fruitvale Station; and the Robert Redford survival pic All Is Lost.

www.ew.com

Out of the Furnace has the Crazy Heart director, and the Bale/Affleck/Harrelson (especially with Hunger Games) brand names going for it, but just didn't take off this weekend at all.

Frozen and Hunger Games are still dominating all the conversation.

It was supposed to make at least $9 million this weekend and it might end up closer to $5, which is a pretty woeful start.

rottentomatoes score around the 50% mark.

Also want to see another "BLUE" movie, haha....Blue is the Warmest Color. Not just for NC-17 lesbian scenes with Leah Seydoux...of course.

Edited by caulfield12

Didn't someone here see The Wolf of Wall Street already and they panned it a little bit?

Or maybe I'm getting it confused with Dallas Buyers Club or The Counselor...

For what it's worth, Blackfish, the documentary about Sea World and other seaparks working with killer whales/orcas is definitely going to be on the final list for the Academy. It's excellent. I recall someone here mentioning it a few pages back.

Right now, they're down to the final 15.

Edited by caulfield12

Actually got to catch a flick - saw Gravity with my wife. Definitely recommend it. The general plot line is pretty simple, and there were a couple "you just had to do that, didn't you?" moments... but it was one of the most end-to-end intense movies I've ever seen, very tightly constructed and produced. It gets intense like 2 minutes in, and stays there basically the entire time, which is hard to pull off. Truly edge of your seat stuff. And Sandra Bullock was pretty great.