2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 21, 2013 -> 09:06 AM)
One of my students here in China said that was their new favorite movie (Now You See Me)....they really enjoyed the feeling they got from watching it.

While some would side with The Prestige or Illusionist, the group dynamic and the more modern-day feel of Now You See Me was really appealing to a lot of moviegoers. It struck a chord, that whole 99% vs. 1% thing I guess.

It had great acting, a great plot, the right amount of twists, and then a very satisfying ending for me. I have it easily in my top 10 movies of 2013. Actually, probably top 5.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/showbiz/movi....html?c=showbiz

Interesting discussion topic. Basically this director is pissed that his teen comedy film "GBF" is getting a rated R from the MPAA when it has no F bombs, violence and nude scenes but films like The Dark Knight Rises get PG13 ratings while they contain swearing and violence.

For those like me who watch most of their movies online, we are now at the point of the year where new movies to theaters will be put online because of the award consideration DVDs being floated around. I am talking high quality DVD-rips, not those awful camera recordings in an actual theater.

For instance, Out of the Furnace and Gravity are online now. Hoping a bunch others will be soon too.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 22, 2013 -> 10:08 PM)
For those like me who watch most of their movies online, we are now at the point of the year where new movies to theaters will be put online because of the award consideration DVDs being floated around. I am talking high quality DVD-rips, not those awful camera recordings in an actual theater.

For instance, Out of the Furnace and Gravity are online now. Hoping a bunch others will be soon too.

Yeah, I saw the Out of the Furnace one up for awards consideration (and won't draw any interest from the Academy).

Really looking forward to Nebraska and Short Term 12, though, among many.

Philomena would be another one.

Going on a Top 100 movies run to catch some of the ones I've never seen...

Raging Bull

Vertigo....love Jimmy Stewart, although Rear Window is better IMO

Lawrence of Arabia...excellent albeit long movie, RIP Peter O'Toole

The Searchers...one of the best John Wayne movies, maybe not quite so famous as True Grit

Edited by caulfield12

Saw American Hustle in the theater this weekend and We Are What We Are at home.

American Hustle was pretty entertaining although I was expecting a bit more from it. 8 out of 10.

We Are What We Are was a beautifully shot horror flick. One of the better horror films I've seen in some time although some people will likely find it a bit slow paced. 7 out of 10.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 24, 2013 -> 12:00 AM)
I am going to attempt Out of the Furnace for the 3rd night tonight, but I've got to say, it's pretty boring and it's hard to understand the accents. I'm probably 2/3s of the way through and I don't know a single characters name and just enough about the story to understand the motives.

I turned it off about 20 minutes in and have no intention on going back and giving it another shot.

Family theater movie this Xmas was Saving Mr. Banks.

Was a really good movie. Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson (I think?) were really great in it. Supporting cast of Colin Ferrell (had no idea he was in it) and Paul Giamatti (sp?) were great too. I didn't expect the movie to be so emotional, but it was a real good one. I had no idea of the story behind Mary Poppins, especially that it was not only NOT supposed to be a musical, but the woman who wrote the book didn't write any of the songs for it either. All I remember about Mary Poppins is the songs.

Really good movie, but if you are a crier, you will definitely cry. I managed to hold back, but I took a few deep breaths during it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
I loved American Hustle. Jennifer Lawrence is mesmerizing every time she's on screen.

Really? She was the worst aspect of the movie. I think she's terribly overrated as an actor. She grated on me whenever she showed up on screen with her awful attempt at a Jersey accent.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 26, 2013 -> 10:13 PM)
Really? She was the worst aspect of the movie. I think she's terribly overrated as an actor. She grated on me whenever she showed up on screen with her awful attempt at a Jersey accent.

I disagree, I think that's the worst opinion I've ever read.