2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

Well, Anchorman II had some incredibly funny moments. I thought it was a great movie to see on Christmas night and I laughed out loud a few times and give it a thumbs up. I can see why some people would hate it for 2 hours but I would think that would have to be a Will Farrell hater.

Very funny stuff IMO.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 09:25 AM)
Top Ten movie all time for me. Phenomenal. And yeah Margot Robbie might be the hottest woman in Hollywood.

Wolf of Wall Street was fantastic. Only thing was that it probably could have been a half hour shorter. Dragged just a tad for me before the actual climax. Seems more like a 2.5 hour movie than a 3 hour movie.

I thought all the stuff with the boat going down at sea could have been taken out. Also, the scene where Donnie and Jordan were on the Lemmons and Jordan was trying to get him off the phone was f***ing hysterical. It was sort of like a f***ed up version of that scene in Inception where they're slowly fighting in the hallway.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 28, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)
Wolf of Wall Street was fantastic. Only thing was that it probably could have been a half hour shorter. Dragged just a tad for me before the actual climax. Seems more like a 2.5 hour movie than a 3 hour movie.

I thought all the stuff with the boat going down at sea could have been taken out. Also, the scene where Donnie and Jordan were on the Lemmons and Jordan was trying to get him off the phone was f***ing hysterical. It was sort of like a f***ed up version of that scene in Inception where they're slowly fighting in the hallway.

3 hours? I will never again see a movie that goes past 2:10. 3 hour movie is ridiculous.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 28, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
3 hours? I will never again see a movie that goes past 2:10. 3 hour movie is ridiculous.

You've just wiped out about 30% of the Top 100 films of all-time.

It's really not a big deal if you watch at home and take breaks or intermissions on your own.

I remember the first movie I saw in the theatres with an intermission was Dances With Wolves, for example. It's fun to go to a movie with a break in the middle, gives you an opportunity to actually speak with your date instead of waiting until afterwards.

You haven't seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies? Titanic? Gone With the Wind? Lawrence of Arabia? It's a Wonderful Life? Apocalypse Now? 2001 A Space Odyssey? Chinatown? Godfather? One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, etc.?

Edited by caulfield12

http://www.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2013-...est-films-of-q1

Preview of the Top 5 movies coming up in January - March.

Noah (Aronofsky/Crowe), Divergent (will it be the next Hunger Games or be seen as a rip-off?), LEGOLAND, Monuments Men (Clooney/Damon, WW II pic) and Sherman & Peabody.

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit (Chris Pine), 300: Rise of an Empire (no Gerard Butler and Snyder's the writer/producer, not director), Ride Along (Ice Cube and Kevin Hart) and Need for Speed (Aaron Paul, based on the video game and obviously trying to fill The Fast & The Furious' niche with that film off the slate until 2015 now).

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 28, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)

I was on my way to see American Hustle tonight but didn't get to because moviefone.com sabotaged my plans, so Wolf on Wall Street was the only other option available. I concur that it was indeed fantastic. It was a bit on the lengthy side, and there could have been some omissions that would help it out (the scene you mentioned would be great stuff for an extended version DVD) but I thought it was well done.

I'd imagine this movie probably crept very close to the line separating an R rating from whatever comes next.

Only God Forgives might be the 2nd worst movie of the year, barely, behind After Earth.

I think this is the third or fourth mainstream Hollywood movie in the last five years or so that uses Bangkok/Thailand as its main backdrop, and none of them have come close to getting it right.

Same director who worked with Gosling on DRIVE, which was overrated by some and panned harshly by quite a few others....but Drive was Casablanca or Citizen Kane compared to this one.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 03:09 AM)
Only God Forgives might be the 2nd worst movie of the year, barely, behind After Earth.

I think this is the third or fourth mainstream Hollywood movie in the last five years or so that uses Bangkok/Thailand as its main backdrop, and none of them have come close to getting it right.

Same director who worked with Gosling on DRIVE, which was overrated by some and panned harshly by quite a few others....but Drive was Casablanca or Citizen Kane compared to this one.

If you noticed in the other thread, it was the worst movie I'd seen in 2013.

"Saving Mr. Banks" was a surprisingly excellent film. Sometimes it's nice to just see an enjoyable flick, though it earns its PG-13 rating with some extremely dark (and real) subject matter.

EDIT: Oh, and JCM, anyone who cares to illegally download movies can find out for themselves if there's "DVD quality" screeners available. I don't think it's fitting discussion for the films thread. If you watch any of them, go ahead and talk about them. Anyone can torrent movies and you're not cool or original for doing so yourself.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE ('Swingandalongonetoleft' date='Dec 29 @ 2013 -> 09:21 AM' post='2911538')
I was on my way to see American Hustle tonight but didn't get to because moviefone.com sabotaged my plans, so Wolf on Wall Street was the only other option available. I concur that it was indeed fantastic. It was a bit on the lengthy side, and there could have been some omissions that would help it out (the scene you mentioned would be great stuff for an extended version DVD) but I thought it was well done.

I'd imagine this movie probably crept very close to the line separating an R rating from whatever comes next.

I believe Scorsese already cut it back from 4 hours. Also it was originally on it's way to a nc 17 rating but then got delayed to compensate for an r rating. Eventually pushed up to it's original release, Christmas. The editing was poor in places I thought. Ie the bench scene. She mouthed lines that didn't play. Can't wait for the extended cut of the film.

Also the scene he mentioned was a true story. Thought it fit.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
"Saving Mr. Banks" was a surprisingly excellent film. Sometimes it's nice to just see an enjoyable flick, though it earns its PG-13 rating with some extremely dark (and real) subject matter.

EDIT: Oh, and JCM, anyone who cares to illegally download movies can find out for themselves if there's "DVD quality" screeners available. I don't think it's fitting discussion for the films thread. If you watch any of them, go ahead and talk about them. Anyone can torrent movies and you're not cool or original for doing so yourself.

I don't know how letting people know what movies are available online now is trying to sound "cool" in any way. That's just stupid. I'm being helpful. You are better than me, so just ignore it and let others enjoy it.

Anyway, American Hustle is now up as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 05:09 AM)

Was Identity Thief a 2013 movie? Because if it was, I can't see anything touching its level of sucktitude.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 29, 2013 -> 10:55 PM)
I don't know how letting people know what movies are available online now is trying to sound "cool" in any way. That's just stupid. I'm being helpful. You are better than me, so just ignore it and let others enjoy it.

:huh:

Helping people find movies illegally?

You're a real Robin Hood.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)
I'm not going to get sanctimonious and pretend that I don't torrent movies, but I also expect that everyone here can use a search engine.

Exactly. Tell someone who thinks it's cool that you've'e discovered torrents. No one here does.

I'm not sure about it being "cool" or whatever, but it's helpful to those of us living outside of the US, because there's basically an embargo against American movies to protect the Chinese box office through the entire month of December and on into January.

For example, I don't think the Hobbit even has a release date here yet, or maybe it's not going to come out until sometime in February, when Spring Festival/Chinese New Year's is going on and most families are staying home at that time.

I'll never forget the time they had Batman and Spiderman come out the same weekend last year...it made zero sense. Except for China. Or they played Django Unchained for 2 or 3 days and then pulled it entirely. They block out Facebook, Twitter and youtube (partly about controlling information, partly about protecting Chinese sites competing with them)...and yet curiously allow Hunger Games (which got crushed by Gravity, actually).

China only allows 34 movies per year (20 in 2D, an additional 14 in 3D format now) from the US, and it used to be only 20 as recently as a couple of years ago. All of them are big budget action movies or counter-programming like Titanic 3D. There are some anomalies. Cloud Atlas, Escape Plan and Pacific Rim all did much better here than in their American theatrical runs.

At any rate, there's no way I would be able to see movies like American Hustle, Saving Mr. Banks, Out of the Furnace, The Hobbit, Nebraska, The Way Way Back, Fruitvale, 12 Years a Slave, etc., without the internet. Even trying to find illegal or bootleg copies on the street, some of those movies are impossible to find, and the money's not going to the studios in those cases anyway. Even when I do watch American movies here, only about 20-25% of the profits are going back Stateside.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 03:14 PM)
I'm not sure about it being "cool" or whatever, but it's helpful to those of us living outside of the US, because there's basically an embargo against American movies to protect the Chinese box office through the entire month of December and on into January.

For example, I don't think the Hobbit even has a release date here yet, or maybe it's not going to come out until sometime in February, when Spring Festival/Chinese New Year's is going on and most families are staying home at that time.

I'll never forget the time they had Batman and Spiderman come out the same weekend last year...it made zero sense. Except for China. Or they played Django Unchained for 2 or 3 days and then pulled it entirely. They block out Facebook, Twitter and youtube (partly about controlling information, partly about protecting Chinese sites competing with them)...and yet curiously allow Hunger Games (which got crushed by Gravity, actually).

China only allows 34 movies per year (20 in 2D, an additional 14 in 3D format now) from the US, and it used to be only 20 as recently as a couple of years ago. All of them are big budget action movies or counter-programming like Titanic 3D. There are some anomalies. Cloud Atlas, Escape Plan and Pacific Rim all did much better here than in their American theatrical runs.

At any rate, there's no way I would be able to see movies like American Hustle, Saving Mr. Banks, Out of the Furnace, The Hobbit, Nebraska, The Way Way Back, Fruitvale, 12 Years a Slave, etc., without the internet. Even trying to find illegal or bootleg copies on the street, some of those movies are impossible to find, and the money's not going to the studios in those cases anyway. Even when I do watch American movies here, only about 20-25% of the profits are going back Stateside.

You're missing the point, though. His posting that they're "available" makes no difference in your world. Did you even read anything above?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Exactly. Tell someone who thinks it's cool that you've'e discovered torrents. No one here does.

What is with this weird angle that you are trying to take to make it seem as though I think I'm cool because I'm sharing information in a films thread? You're s***ty attitude towards this makes no sense.

Someone - "Hey guys, a new John Grisham book just came out."

Steve - "OHHH YOU THINK YOUR f***ING COOL NOW? GREAT, WE ALL HAVE THE INTERNET. YOU'RE A REAL HERO."

:huh: