2013 Films Thread

cabiness42

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
My thing with what you're saying is, other movies that have won, have done the exact same thing. Whether or not you like the execution in Fruitvale Station or not, that's different. But to take off points for what others have done in the past, that's being biased.

In my opinion, they'll end up passing on Fruitvale because of the controversy and all the attention will end up being focused on 12 Years a Slave as the movie that more poignantly and comprehensively deals with racial relations.

That said, the director deserves a ton of credit for taking that approach of presenting the final day in the life of Oscar Grant...as well as humanizing him as much as possible. And, if not for 12 Years, Fruitvale would be getting a lot more attention during awards season IMO.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 06:47 PM)
Escape Plan was actually a lot better than I thought it would be...

As far as documentaries go, I still like Blackfish the most, but The Act of Killing just has to be seen to be believed.

I'll check out Act of Killing Monday. Better be good or it's on you. Jk. Crap, can't rent on iTunes until 30th

I'm with you on Blackfish.

Edited by Brian

Saw the new Hobbit today. The character they created, Tauriel, well you could tell she wasn't part of the actual book. She seemed forced into the plot and just really stood out in a bad way. She's the love interest for a couple of the characters, and the scenes depicting that seem like they were written and directed by a high school drama instructor.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 06:52 PM)
I'll check out Act of Killing Monday. Better be good or it's on you. Jk. Crap, can't rent on iTunes until 30th

I'm with you on Blackfish.

Blackfish is a much smoother, more polished film.

The Act of Killing, to me, it is almost impossible to call it "good" or "excellent." It's just scary, and something that has to be seen to be believed.

It's harrowing. Maybe that's the best term I can come up with.

I was living in Indonesia in August, September and November this year...more than anything, I was taken aback a bit that something like this happened in history, I was totally unaware of it (unlike what happened in Cambodia with Pol Pot), and the same group who was mostly responsible still walks around with absolute impunity and even a sense of righteousness about what they did.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
The director of Fast and Furious 7 is considering using Paul Walkers brother Cody as a stand in for his part. I see that as an epic fail

It would be sort of tacky to kill his character off in a car wreck on screen. You can write him out by just having him walk off I to the sunset with his family. Vin's character is the one Statham is after anyway.

I say cut him out totally. It'll suck but what else can you do.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 07:19 PM)
Saw the new Hobbit today. The character they created, Tauriel, well you could tell she wasn't part of the actual book. She seemed forced into the plot and just really stood out in a bad way. She's the love interest for a couple of the characters, and the scenes depicting that seem like they were written and directed by a high school drama instructor.

Saw it last night, I guess that's what happens when you try to squeeze 9 hours of content over 3 movies from what essentially amounts to a short story (in comparison to Lord of the Rings). I enjoyed it, though. Looking forward to the conclusion.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
Saw it last night, I guess that's what happens when you try to squeeze 9 hours of content over 3 movies from what essentially amounts to a short story (in comparison to Lord of the Rings). I enjoyed it, though. Looking forward to the conclusion.

I found myself trying not to laugh at the scene between Gandalf and the "necromancer". That part was "Attack of the Clones" bad.

Caught Man of Steel out of Redbox this weekend. I enjoyed the extra backstory from Krypton that they did. I thought the story telling was much better than the original Reeve series. I don't usually think a remake does a better job at storytelling either.

Identity Thief was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Thank god we only watched it off of cable or I would have demanded my $1.28 back from Redbox. What a awful piece of s***.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 05:37 PM)
I can see why girls love that Josh Hutcherson though. I envy his jawline.

But back to the movie. Even after doing some internet digging and reading the part from the book (found it online), I still can't figure out why

Katniss and the other guy (Finn or something?) got trapped in the jabberjay time wedge. When they were in the fog wedge and the baboon wedge they were able to just run through to the next wedge and avoid it. But in that scene, Peeta and Katniss could not cross through the wedge in either direction. What was that about?

I cant remember from the book, the movies do terrible jobs telling the story. In the first one, why did they all of a sudden love the food on the train? Or why was everyone dressed so weird. Apparently the director forgot about the whole "narration" part of the book.

And go ahead and stop now, the third book is 100% trash.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 08:48 AM)
I cant remember from the book, the movies do terrible jobs telling the story. In the first one, why did they all of a sudden love the food on the train? Or why was everyone dressed so weird. Apparently the director forgot about the whole "narration" part of the book.

And go ahead and stop now, the third book is 100% trash.

They really went over the top with Stanley Tucci and Elizabeth Banks.

Lenny Kravitz is the only one who feels at least in the same ballpark as the book.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
It would be sort of tacky to kill his character off in a car wreck on screen. You can write him out by just having him walk off I to the sunset with his family. Vin's character is the one Statham is after anyway.

I say cut him out totally. It'll suck but what else can you do.

I agree. It's not like Paul Walker will be mad about it. Go for it.