Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
And I'll give credit to USC (of all schools) for realizing where it stands and going after realistic candidates like Peterson and Sark. That's very rare these days.

Whoever hired Kiffin was a moron though, so not too much credit to them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
Whoever hired Kiffin was a moron though, so not too much credit to them.

As bad as a coach as he is, it really is astonishing the climb that Lane Kiffin made at two seperate levels of football, using basically his daddies good name. The guy is a supreme snake oil salesman

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
As bad as a coach as he is, it really is astonishing the climb that Lane Kiffin made at two seperate levels of football, using basically his daddies good name. The guy is a supreme snake oil salesman

It seems that snake oil salesman can have a great career in college sports.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Absolutely, but boy do they make a lot before they flame out.

Oh yea. Thats the crazy thing about Kiffin to me. At no point in his career did he have a really successful season. I suppose 2012 was pretty good at USC, but they really fell off.

But the Raiders, and Tennessee, and all of the recruiting violations that followed him around, and all of the crap that came along with him. You would think somewhere along the line he had an incredible season buried in there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:03 PM)
Remember when Mizzou and TAMU joined the SEC and never had a chance? Didnt take long to prove that theory completely unjustified. Maybe the rest of the division is just "bad" like you say.

Georgia did have about 28 ACL tears and this was Florida's worst season in about 30 years. But I agree that the success of the top teams in the SEC has to lead a wrong opinion about the rest of the league. Bama & Auburn & LSU have been that good, but that in no way means that Arkansas, both Mississippis, Kentucky, Vanderbilt & co. are good simply for being in the same conference as the other schools.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
Compared to what? Washington was very good from about 75-92, then 3 bowl wins in 20+ years.

They were ineligible in 93 & 94, then went to 8 straight bowl games after that. Not their heyday anymore, but still consistent until the wheels completely fell off.

But if we are gonna use bowl wins to judge a program's success, Illinois has more bowl victories than OSU & Wisconsin combined in the last 3 seasons. I L L !

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 06:06 PM)
I think Florida and ILL would love some Zook right about now.

If Illinois could have Zook with the current O-Coord and past D-Coord and give him ample job security things probably would be looking pretty good for them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 04:43 PM)
Orgeron furious and quit. Talk about a hot commodity.

As an assistant, absolutely, as a head coach...meh. Good hire for a solid FBS school. He'd be a nice hire for someone like Illinois, but ultimately he's a best fit out west where his recruiting skills would better serve him. It is hard to ignore the disasterous run he had at Ole Miss as a HC though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
Woo hoo, indifference! So far I only really really hate Ole Miss in all sports.

Haha. What's interesting is that the only other SEC that I guess I actually do like is Ole Miss. The Grove is unbelievable. Oxford is incredibly charming. Lots of fun.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 07:41 PM)
Haha. What's interesting is that the only other SEC that I guess I actually do like is Ole Miss. The Grove is unbelievable. Oxford is incredibly charming. Lots of fun.

I would love to attend a football game at nearly any SEC school, but Ole Miss is #1 on the list. The football may not be that good, but by all accounts the atmosphere can't be beat.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
What the f***?

3 bowl games in 5 years and first back-to-back bowl games in 20 years. He may have made some awful gameday decisions, but he brought in a lot of talent to Champaign and always kept it entertaining. It's not like Illinois has ever been a football powerhouse since the Second World War. Plus, dude can barefoot waterski.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 11:29 PM)
3 bowl games in 5 years and first back-to-back bowl games in 20 years. He may have made some awful gameday decisions, but he brought in a lot of talent to Champaign and always kept it entertaining. It's not like Illinois has ever been a football powerhouse since the Second World War. Plus, dude can barefoot waterski.

He ran the program into the ground. And now we're seeing the results. Please don't let "bowl games" cloud your judgment. That's the biggest bs statement. Should have been gone after 2009.