Official 2013-2014 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know all the attention has been on Jameis and the offense, but people really underestimate the Noles defense. They are big, strong, fast, and have a lot of depth. They're allowing under 11 points per game all season. Meanwhile, Auburn doesn't have anything that even resembles a defense. And according to Vegas, FSU is a 10 point favorite at the moment.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 09:08 PM)
well the other options arent that great for the Orange.

Missouri cant since there are already 2 SEC teams in the BCS. Same for OK State.

So it really comes down to Clemson,Oregon, Arizona St. and Clemson is most likely to bring the most people to Miami.

I know the rules, but Clemson has proved basically nothing all year.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Orange Bowl didn't get Alabama:

1) FSU and Auburn placed in the BCS Championship Game due to being ranked 1-2.

2) Stanford and MSU placed in Rose and Baylor placed in Fiesta due to being conference champions not ranked 1-2 with specific tie ins.

3) Because the Orange Bowl has an ACC tie-in, and they lost the #1 ranked team to the BCS Championship, they get the first "free" pick from remaining teams. I know the SEC has a tie-in with the Sugar Bowl, but the Orange Bowl has the right to pick Alabama and Alabama does not have the right to decline, so why would the Orange go for Ohio State over Alabama? Has everybody else become the SEC's b**** and just gives them everything they want?

Earlier I looked up that game and the main story of the recap were the pass interference penalties. I didn't see the game, but who would have thought there were national title implications. For MSU.

Yes, the refs called a lot of pass interference penalties because MSU kept interfering with pass receivers. Go figure.

Still, it's very odd for me that my undergrad school kept my grad school from playing for a national championship.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 05:23 AM)
Earlier I looked up that game and the main story officiated. ap were the pass interference penalties. I didn't see the game, but who would have thought there were national title implications. For MSU.

Obviously we know by now Hickory would never pass on an attempt to homer up his school, but yes, the game was horrendously officiated. The fix seemed to be in. Too bad it ended up playing such a big roll in the championship game.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 07:14 AM)
I'm still trying to figure out how the Orange Bowl didn't get Alabama:

1) FSU and Auburn placed in the BCS Championship Game due to being ranked 1-2.

2) Stanford and MSU placed in Rose and Baylor placed in Fiesta due to being conference champions not ranked 1-2 with specific tie ins.

3) Because the Orange Bowl has an ACC tie-in, and they lost the #1 ranked team to the BCS Championship, they get the first "free" pick from remaining teams. I know the SEC has a tie-in with the Sugar Bowl, but the Orange Bowl has the right to pick Alabama and Alabama does not have the right to decline, so why would the Orange go for Ohio State over Alabama? Has everybody else become the SEC's b**** and just gives them everything they want?

3) Because Ohio State is a better draw. Their fans travel like crazy and didn't get to go to a bowl game last year. Plus, warm weather. The Orange Bowl is probably worried that not many Alabama fans will drive down because it's not a national title game.

Obviously we know by now Hickory would never pass on an attempt to homer up his school, but yes, the game was horrendously officiated. The fix seemed to be in. Too bad it ended up playing such a big roll in the championship game.

Did you actually watch the game? MSU defenders hauled down ND receivers on something like 4 out of 5 plays. Besides, it was a BIG officiating crew.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 07:27 AM)
3) Because Ohio State is a better draw. Their fans travel like crazy and didn't get to go to a bowl game last year. Plus, warm weather. The Orange Bowl is probably worried that not many Alabama fans will drive down because it's not a national title game.

And the game may be 85-80

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)

Also sugar bowl has been a rumored lock for either Auburn or Alabama since before the iron bowl played.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
Clemson gets an at-large berth in a BCS bowl? Glad that system is gone.

I had that discussion with my coworkers last Thursday, who are all Clemson fans here in Upstate S.C. I couldn't seem to get the point across that, you've accomplished nothing that is deserving of a BCS bowl, other than be the lucky recipient of a spot due to archaic BCS/conference limit rules. Welcome to the downside of the SEC, Mizzou. We(South Carolina) have been in the Top 10 of the BCS standings the last 3 years, beat the eventual SEC East champion all 3 years, and have zero BCS appearances to show for it.

I'll never understand why such a system was 'trustworthy' enough to pinpoint the Top 2 teams for the BCSNC, but not used at all for Teams 3-10 for the other BCS bowls. Oh wait, I do understand...it was always about spreading the money to conferences, not about who deserved to be there.

QUOTE (Capn12 @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)
I had that discussion with my coworkers last Thursday, who are all Clemson fans here in Upstate S.C. I couldn't seem to get the point across that, you've accomplished nothing that is deserving of a BCS bowl, other than be the lucky recipient of a spot due to archaic BCS/conference limit rules. Welcome to the downside of the SEC, Mizzou. We(South Carolina) have been in the Top 10 of the BCS standings the last 3 years, beat the eventual SEC East champion all 3 years, and have zero BCS appearances to show for it.

I'll never understand why such a system was 'trustworthy' enough to pinpoint the Top 2 teams for the BCSNC, but not used at all for Teams 3-10 for the other BCS bowls. Oh wait, I do understand...it was always about spreading the money to conferences, not about who deserved to be there.

Not just an SEC problem. Mizzou has been hurt by losing the conference championship twice now, on some of our best seasons ever. That said, I am happy with our bowl, I think OK State is a great challenge and program and we got good prime time spot. And Texas has a large missouri following.

Good read.

How does DNA in panties not = enough to charge? What else do you need? Ok, it's he said, she said still, I get that. Let the jury decide. That's their job. The prosecutor was effectively the judge and jury on this case, deciding there wasn't enough evidence to convict. Something's f***ed up about a system that operates that way.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Good read.

How does DNA in panties not = enough to charge? What else do you need? Ok, it's he said, she said still, I get that. Let the jury decide. That's their job. The prosecutor was effectively the judge and jury on this case, deciding there wasn't enough evidence to convict. Something's f***ed up about a system that operates that way.

The laughing during the press conference bugged me at the time, but somehow its bugs me more from this writer's perspective.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
Good read.

The state of Florida is a small step above a third world nation.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 9, 2013 -> 06:44 PM)
Sad thing is Manziel's numbers blow Winston's out of the water and he has 0% chance at repeating.

Had Manziel played Mizzou & LSU in September, he might have a chance. But having your worst two games to end the year is a no-no with the Heisman voters.