2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 07:59 AM)
Gomez and Maholm have a little history between them. Gomez has crushed Maholm (9/20, 2 homeruns), and Maholm has hit Gomez a few times.

Way to be a sore loser about it.

I feel as if this Braves team thinks they can talk s*** or hit whoever they want (Chris Johnson telling Fernandez he had a weakass fastball for instance), but when someone else does it to them, they get all pissy.

Per Rotoworld:

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he is "absolutely" considering letting Mariano Rivera in center field this weekend against the Astros.

Girardi isn't going to do it Thursday against the Rays because the game has playoff implications. Ideally, Rivera will play center field in the eighth inning of a game before staying in to get a save chance in the ninth inning, but that's not necessarily how it will go down. Still, it will be fascinating to watch.

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Per Rotoworld:

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he is "absolutely" considering letting Mariano Rivera in center field this weekend against the Astros.

Girardi isn't going to do it Thursday against the Rays because the game has playoff implications. Ideally, Rivera will play center field in the eighth inning of a game before staying in to get a save chance in the ninth inning, but that's not necessarily how it will go down. Still, it will be fascinating to watch.

Why?

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 03:10 PM)
Per Rotoworld:

Awesome. Very cool of Girardi.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
Awesome. Very cool of Girardi.

I hope Yankees/Rays game is a blowout and MO gets to play CF in front on home fans late in the game. Mo deserves it.

Edited by Soxfest

Not a Yankee fan whatsoever...but this really was an awesome moment. Rivera=class act. Also...I know a lot of people don't like him...but Derek Jeter is a pro's pro and a class act as well. I love that guy...as well as Petite and Girardi. It's never really been I dislike the Yankee players...I think it's been more disliking NY.

I know you can say this a lot of times, but it really feels like this is a clear cut transitional phase in MLB. A lot of the teams that were and have been good, relatively speaking, are beginning to enter rebuilding phases while a lot of the teams that have struggled for a while are putting everything together and competing. Jeter will probably announce his plans to retire after 2014, and then there are others like Oswalt, Halladay, and Beltran getting up there too. ARod would be included except that he's signed for like another 4 years after this.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 10:45 AM)
I know you can say this a lot of times, but it really feels like this is a clear cut transitional phase in MLB. A lot of the teams that were and have been good, relatively speaking, are beginning to enter rebuilding phases while a lot of the teams that have struggled for a while are putting everything together and competing. Jeter will probably announce his plans to retire after 2014, and then there are others like Oswalt, Halladay, and Beltran getting up there too. ARod would be included except that he's signed for like another 4 years after this.

That and f*** Arod.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
Pssh, says the guy who skipped prom to go to a White Sox game

HEY! I didn't necessarily skip prom. I just stepped out from time to time to catch some of the game. Believe me, if you were me you would've done the same.

(Seriously she was a great gal, I'm sure she's getting on someone's nerves as we speak)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 49m

Mariano Rivera's appearance last night was the 1st of his career in a game in which the Yankees were out of playoff contention. (Elias)

In 2008, the Yankees finished 8 games back in the division, 6 back in the WC. Rivera pitched in game #161.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
My favorite stat this year might be that BJ Upton is 0-28 with 18 strikeouts with a runner on 3rd base this year.

His whole season has been like that. .184/.268/.289. Ouch.