Big 10 Tournament Thread

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
How crazy is it that Zeller and DeShaun Thomas were not unanimous 1st Team All-Big Ten?

That may have been the craziest sequence I've ever seen when nothing happens! Did Zeller really travel there? I'm not sure he did.

It was probably coaches with a bone to pick with the other one.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
I think this is a big part of the issue. Any proven coach is probably going to laugh at them when they call. A couple of stories related to this...

1) Jim Calhoun was considering taking the job before he went to UConn. Unfortunately, he talked to Bob Knight first, who basically told him he'd be crazy to consider it. I believe the money quote was "coaching graveyard". Obviously the rest is history.

2) At one point, they were talking to Tommy Amaker, back when everyone wanted Duke assistants. He gave the administration two transcripts and asked if they would be able to get in. Administration told him no, and Amaker moved on. Those two transcripts were Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley.

They've had some coaches with pretty decent resumes in the past and the typical winning percentage is like .300. Carmody has been the most successful they've had since one stretch in like the 50's.

Amaker is supposed to be a real phony of a guy. It seems the media favorite if Carmody doesn't return is Chris Collins. That would be a tough gig as your first head coaching job, but if he made it work, he'd be like Gary Barnett was many years ago. Wanted everywhere and able to name your price.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
The problem is even Illinois doesn't get the superstar type recruits (ie Parker, Rose, et all) and the top-75 type recruits will get offers from every other Big Ten school. They're pretty much never going to beat OSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, hell even Purdue for recruits without some major changes.

I really don't think the system is the issue either. Georgetown and Michigan both use it and the swing at Wisconsin has a lot of the same principles.

I'm not talking about those guys. Look at the state tourney this year, there are plenty of good players with only MAC level offers that would be great at NW. I am just saying I dont think NW will be a tourney level program unless they bring in someone who can really recruit.

And I dont think Michigan runs Princeton.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
The problem is how inconsistent the game is being called. 1 possession a slight touch is a foul, another possession it seems nothing will be called. Breaks the flow and just makes for a bad game.

Yeah it's tough to figure out what's going on. They'll let some hellacious contact go and then you get called for hand checking.

If Hanner Perea could get the confidence to be under control, he could be dangerous. But right now, he gets up for rebounds, but can't haul them in. He has trouble catching the ball in traffic and when he does catch the ball, he misses the bunny shot, usually long. It's like me on a long pool table. No touch!

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
Understandable but 13 years of status quo should be enough to try something else. There is bball talent all around the state of IL that leaks into MAC schools that they could keep home. I think you need someone who can actually recruit.

MAC-level talent going against Big Ten schools doesn't end well. Their recruiting has improved, but even against Wisconsin or Minnesota, there are several guys on the floor that were more highly regarded than the type of guys NU can get. There are also a number of guys that would never get through admissions. I'd kill to have Trevor Mbakwe in purple, but the administration might fire Carmody for even asking him about someone with his past.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
Remy Abell makes his first shot since December. Or seems like it anyway..

Edit: There's the Abell we've come to expect since January!

From the Ronnie Brewer school of shooting technique

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
I think this is a big part of the issue. Any proven coach is probably going to laugh at them when they call. A couple of stories related to this...

1) Jim Calhoun was considering taking the job before he went to UConn. Unfortunately, he talked to Bob Knight first, who basically told him he'd be crazy to consider it. I believe the money quote was "coaching graveyard". Obviously the rest is history.

2) At one point, they were talking to Tommy Amaker, back when everyone wanted Duke assistants. He gave the administration two transcripts and asked if they would be able to get in. Administration told him no, and Amaker moved on. Those two transcripts were Christian Laettner and Bobby Hurley.

They've had some coaches with pretty decent resumes in the past and the typical winning percentage is like .300. Carmody has been the most successful they've had since one stretch in like the 50's.

Honestly if NW really wants to succeed in basketball, they need to leave the Big 10.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
Amaker is supposed to be a real phony of a guy. It seems the media favorite if Carmody doesn't return is Chris Collins. That would be a tough gig as your first head coaching job, but if he made it work, he'd be like Gary Barnett was many years ago. Wanted everywhere and able to name your price.

Chris Collins has to be able to get a better offer than Northwestern, right? Even a midmajor would offer a better road to the big time than NW.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:50 AM)
Honestly if NW really wants to succeed in basketball, they need to leave the Big 10.

I always heard that the Big East is the key to the promised land for Chicago schools

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:39 AM)
lol

Only Indiana fans could say to take off the glasses. Zeller literally was walking around in the paint and no travel call.

Ah, cut the bulls***. I've clearly said IU's gotten calls, I just was pointing out it's been both ways.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:51 AM)
Chris Collins has to be able to get a better offer than Northwestern, right? Even a midmajor would offer a better road to the big time than NW.

It's like the Cubs manager job. You know you will fail, but if it does work out, you'll be able to live off that the rest of your career, and it's not like he would need a national title. Make one Final Four or even Elite Eight, he probably has his choice of any open position for huge money. Collins supposedly wants the NU job. He's supposedly a great recruiter. If he could get NU to at least slighly relax their entrance requirements for some players, you can get decent quickly. The other thing to consider, the only Big 10 coach who makes less than Carmody is the Penn State coach. They probably will have to up the ante there.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
Ah, cut the bulls***. I've clearly said IU's gotten calls, I just was pointing out it's been both ways.

The game has been called terribly, so I think that means Illinois/Indiana fans can legitimately gripe.

That isnt either teams fans wearing homer glasses, its just the truth.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 15, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
I'm not talking about those guys. Look at the state tourney this year, there are plenty of good players with only MAC level offers that would be great at NW. I am just saying I dont think NW will be a tourney level program unless they bring in someone who can really recruit.

And I dont think Michigan runs Princeton.

That's basically what they do. Sometimes it works out and they get Michael Thompson, John Shurna or Drew Crawford. Much more often, they end up with Sterling Williams, Nick Fruendt, Jeff Ryan or Mike Cappocci. It's really hard to compete in the Big Ten when you typically only have 3 or 4 guys that belong in the league.

And Michigan definitely runs a variation of the Princeton, they play with their center up high and rely on driving/cuts. They allow a lot more improvisation because their players are actually good.

Edited by ZoomSlowik