Frustrating.

My_Sox_Summer

QUOTE (My_Sox_Summer @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
What I was asking was, if winning was the cure, the Sox would have been selling out at the end of the year. They weren't.

People do what they feel like doing. If you create excitement around a team, people will want to be a part of it. 2-3 months of leading the division by a few games en route to another disappointing season with no playoffs, evidently, does not create sufficient excitement.

It's been seven years since the team did anything outside of getting throttled in the ALDS once. I'm not surprised that people don;t get excited about the team. A few good teams in a row, though, I guarantee, would create some excitement. People want to be a part of a winning culture. It's probably true, unfortunately, that it's way easier to lose that feeling than to gain it.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this having to win multiple years in a row to expect fans to show up at the park is complete bulls***. If a team is in first place in the middle of any given season, then fans should want to come to the park. Why else are you a fan if you don't want to watch your team when they're actually competitive?

I don't blame anyone for not supporting a s***ty product and obviously I wouldn't expect season ticket sales to increase without sustained success, but in terms of single game tickets the product on the field right now is all that should matter. It might take some time for expections to catch up with actual results, but once a team is clearly in a playoff race the fans should want to be at games supporting their team. How a team did the previous season or how they may do the next season should be irrelevant.

I guess I don't get what your point is Marty.

Found a good article that I actually replied to last year and heard back from the reporter who is also a White Sox fan. Lots of good facts there.

I can't say that after six games that the sky is falling and that this is a good sample size for one full season. In February, I remembered seeing a story indicating an increase in projected attendance. With the decrease in parking costs, the decrease in ticket prices and the fact that they very well could be an improved team despite the loss of AJP, I doubt they will have a decline in attendance.

That said, it is really cool when there are 25-30K in the stands cheering them on and not a bunch of empty seats on the lower level. I concede the upper deck will never be full but it does help when the lower bowl is full. I am convinced that while the White Sox are the second team in terms of attendance, that as the area develops and the team wins, more fans will come out. However, I do not see 30,000+ coming out on a consistent basis, nor should we expect such crowds...unless we see a change this summer with all of the price implementation.

That said I just moved downtown to Buena Park and can't wait to get some cheap tickets on Stubhub to watch one of the games in the Twins series and the game against Tampa that is on my birthday.

Edited by MuckFinnesota

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
Wow, the Tribune did a great job of brainwashing Sox fans over the years to make them think they're 2nd class fans.

Maybe you can buy a newspaper chain with your high net worth and convince them of the error in their ways.

It's a lot more complicated than the Cubs being favored by the Tribune.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 03:53 PM)
Wow, the Tribune did a great job of brainwashing Sox fans over the years to make them think they're 2nd class fans.

I don't know one Sox fan that thinks of themselves as a second class fan. If anyone fanbase is feeling second class it would be Cubs fans who pay near the top ticket price, come out in droves to watch a team lose year after year, decade after decade. Nothing is good enough for Sox fans. That is the opposite of feeling 2nd class.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
I don't know one Sox fan that thinks of themselves as a second class fan. If anyone fanbase is feeling second class it would be Cubs fans who pay near the top ticket price, come out in droves to watch a team lose year after year, decade after decade. Nothing is good enough for Sox fans. That is the opposite of feeling 2nd class.

The first post in this thread?

The point of the thread wasn't about the "Sox fan as 2nd class citizen."

It was about why there's a disconnect between the marketing strategy and what most Sox fans hoped for in terms of renewed interest on the part of "dormant" fans (particularly families) in 2013.

It's the job of the marketing department to deal with this issue...2005 changed the culture, but it wasn't sustained.

You'd almost have to argue that because of the thrills and experiences of 2005...that nobody could have predicted would happen in their lifetimes, everything else becomes dull and dim in comparison. There's not that sense of angst and apprehension in the fanbase...they're mostly contented to watch games from home and support the team when the weather is good or there's a marquee opponent or when they believe the team has the ability to go deep into the post-season. But it's a very conditional fandom.

If you can't give me that same high and elation as 2005...then I'm not going to participate.

Personally, because of the rivalry with the Twins, I almost enjoyed 2008 just as much...but a lot of fans don't see it that way, and felt we'd get knocked out right away by TB and that without Quentin and on the turf, we were toast. And that turned out to be true.

DETROIT has a reputation as one of the worst cities in America....and yet fans of their team no longer feel second class. It's because they have three superstars on that team, and the possibility of another in Scherzer if he continues to progress.

We've got Sale. But the fans don't seem to respond to watching him pitch like they used to with Randy Johnson in Seattle or Roy Halladay in TOR or even Zach Greinke when he was with the Royals.

Edited by caulfield12

The merchandise aspect of marketing for the Sox is pathetic. You want to try and get people excited about someone like Sale? Well, then you should be selling his jerseys throughout Chicagoland. If you go somewhere like Sports Authority, you'll definitely find Konerko jerseys and might find someone like Peavy, Rios or Beckham if you're lucky.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 09:44 PM)
The merchandise aspect of marketing for the Sox is pathetic. You want to try and get people excited about someone like Sale? Well, then you should be selling his jerseys throughout Chicagoland. If you go somewhere like Sports Authority, you'll definitely find Konerko jerseys and might find someone like Peavy, Rios or Beckham if you're lucky.

Hell they didn't even have them at the park last year. Chicago Sports Depot had Thornton jerseys, Humber jerseys, still didn't have Sale jerseys, and it was July or August. That doesn't make any sense.

Agree...

When I went to a game last summer, and was shopping at some of the sporting good stores, there was a complete DEARTH of Sox merchandise, compared to Cubs.

If it wasn't for the gangsta rappers wearing our hats, we'd have nothing to feel positive about, lol.

Obviously, they were prepared to market Beckham as the new golden boy and that fizzled out. Konerko has never been marketed outside of Chicago. Only by respectful media/announcing teams who always hype him as the most chronically under-appreciated/underhyped star player in the majors.

Losing Buehrle and AJ hurt, there's no denying that.

But there's just not a lot of passionate Rios and Dunn fans out there. The 2009 and 2011 seasons really hurt Alex with the fanbase, and Dunn's story is well-known and chronicled. There's an appreciation now of Rios' overall game, but not to the point where many would go out and buy his jersey.

The only jersey I would buy would be Viciedo or Sale. After that, I'd probably buy a Courtney Hawkins jersey.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 09:52 PM)
Agree...

When I went to a game last summer, and was shopping at some of the sporting good stores, there was a complete DEARTH of Sox merchandise, compared to Cubs.

If it wasn't for the gangsta rappers wearing our hats, we'd have nothing to feel positive about, lol.

Obviously, they were prepared to market Beckham as the new golden boy and that fizzled out. Konerko has never been marketed outside of Chicago. Only by respectful media/announcing teams who always hype him as the most chronically under-appreciated/underhyped star player in the majors.

Losing Buehrle and AJ hurt, there's no denying that.

But there's just not a lot of passionate Rios and Dunn fans out there. The 2009 and 2011 seasons really hurt Alex with the fanbase, and Dunn's story is well-known and chronicled. There's an appreciation now of Rios' overall game, but not to the point where many would go out and buy his jersey.

The only jersey I would buy would be Viciedo or Sale. After that, I'd probably buy a Courtney Hawkins jersey.

I own a Brandon McCarthy jersey, and I know someone that owns a Joe Borchard jersey.

Don't do it, at least not for a long time.

Although I did buy a Buehrle jersey in 2001 before anyone had one (his brother told me at a Cubs game is was the first one he had seen and asked me how I got it), and that worked out OK, but it's really rolling the dice.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:33 PM)
I own a Brandon McCarthy jersey, and I know someone that owns a Joe Borchard jersey.

Although I did buy a Buehrle jersey in 2001 before anyone had one (his brother told me at a Cubs game is was the first one he had seen and asked me how I got it), and that worked out OK, but it's really rolling the dice.

Haha, I know ALL about this.

I have a Sammy Sosa grey road Sox jersey that I bought during his rookie season.

Other than that, I've done okay. Harold Baines...and Darryl Strawberry/Mets wasn't a great choice in the long term.

I'm just a huge fan of the minor leagues...so no matter what happens with Hawkins, I would rather wear one of his jerseys from Winston-Salem or BIRM than practically anyone on the Sox.

Part of the fun is discovering a player and jumping on the bandwagon before it hits.

Of course, all the hardcore Sox fans know who Hawkins is.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
There are so many Beckham jerseys out there. Opening Day they were everywhere. So many people stuck with a bad jersey from years ago.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 11:33 PM)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 12:22 AM)
Haha, I know ALL about this.

I have a Sammy Sosa grey road Sox jersey that I bought during his rookie season.

Other than that, I've done okay. Harold Baines...and Darryl Strawberry/Mets wasn't a great choice in the long term.

Yeah, this is why I don't buy jerseys. ), I don't see really where/when I'd wear them outside of games 2) they're expensive, and 3) there's too good a chance you'll get stuck with a bad one.

I got a jersey t-shirt for Beckham at the beginning of 2011 because he seemed to have finally turned the corner, but we all know how that worked out. Picked up a Sale one (one of the new gray ones, awesome) last Wednesday.

Edited by OsweGo-Go Sox

I have a CQ jersey, bought it just days before the bat smack/broken hand incident. I really thought he'd be here to stay. I still like him.

If I had to buy one now...probably Sale. Maybe Ventura. Lots of folks have gotten good value out of Konerko jerseys, but now isn't the time to buy. If they got cheap after Paulie left, I'd think about it though -- especially if he retired. He's an all-time Sox great, so it's okay to wear his jersey when he's gone.

My birthday is December 23. For my 17th birthday I received a Brandon McCarthy jersey.

I turned 17 in 2006.

"December 23, 2006: Traded by the Chicago White Sox with David Paisano (minors) to the Texas Rangers for Jacob Rasner (minors), John Danks and Nick Masset."

:(

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
My birthday is December 23. For my 17th birthday I received a Brandon McCarthy jersey.

I turned 17 in 2006.

"December 23, 2006: Traded by the Chicago White Sox with David Paisano (minors) to the Texas Rangers for Jacob Rasner (minors), John Danks and Nick Masset."

Hahaha, that was so awesome

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)

I turned 17 in 2006.

Surely you could've gotten it exchanged?

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Apr 10, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)

I turned 17 in 2006.

I think the time to buy a McCarthy jersey would have been sometime in August/September of 2005.

Of course, for many of the reasons/players listed above, getting out in front of the crowd, especially with a young Sox prospect...has been a dangerous game with the GM for Sox fans.

Imagine buying a Daniel Hudson jersey? Probably would have had to go the custom-made route, though.

Or Brian Anderson...Rowand and Crede were popular jerseys, too. AJ.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Apr 8, 2013 -> 07:02 AM)
The Sox next promotion should be free tickets just to see if they can fill the park during crummy April weather.Just bring a non perishable food item that isn't past it's expiration date, Turn it into a food drive.Have it correspond with the National Food Drive the postal service does every year in May around Mother's Day. Actually not a bad idea if they fill the park with people paying for parking, food and souvenirs. Hand out brochures promoting all the different ticket packages. Try it once a month just for the hell of it. Create a demand and a frenzy for the free seats. Create a buzz. Imagine the press you would get. Do it for the worst drawing teams.

When I started writing this post I was being facetious but by the end I was serious.

Awesome logo - as a DePaul alum the Sox somewhat resemble DePaul. Going to the game is a fun time but no one goes!