Explosions at end of Boston Marathon

IlliniKrush

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 04:54 PM)

[update, 5:31 p.m. ET] Boston police now appear to be backing away from their commissioner's earlier statement that a third incident – at the JFK Library 5 miles from the finish line - might have been related to the Boston Marathon blasts.

On Twitter, Boston police say: "Update JFK incident appears to be fire related."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 04:55 PM)
Where are you getting your old-ass info?

The Boston Globe @BostonGlobe

MARATHON EXPLOSIONS: Two killed, at least 90 injured in Boston Marathon finish line explosions; third blast reported at JFK Library

Update at 5:26 p.m. ET. Third Explosion 'Fire Related':

The Boston Police Department says the third explosion at the JFK Library "appears to be fire related."

Earlier the Boston Police said they were treating it as related to the two explosions at the finish line, but the JFK Library tweeted that fire in the building appeared to "have started in the mechanical room of new building."

there were several unexploded bombs in the city and there could be more.

--->

[update, 5:31 p.m. ET] Boston police now appear to be backing away from their commissioner's earlier statement that a third incident – at the JFK Library 5 miles from the finish line - might have been related to the Boston Marathon blasts.

On Twitter, Boston police say: "Update JFK incident appears to be fire related."

So much for other bombs. But this is how fear works, assumptions are made that scare people even more.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
not seeing this on the national site, might be circular confirmation "there are reports..." nothing on BBC, boston globe etc.

Yeah it was a Bostonian reporting what she heard on the radio via twitter.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
--->

So much for other bombs. But this is how fear works, assumptions are made that scare people even more.

The JFK library incident wasn't what I was referring to.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/boston-ma...ions/index.html

Authorities in Boston found at least one other explosive device that they were dismantling, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
--->

Go away.

Your posts are the stuff we read in the "comments" section of articles.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
The JFK library incident wasn't what I was referring to.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/15/us/boston-ma...ions/index.html

Authorities in Boston found at least one other explosive device that they were dismantling, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said.

There were definite reports of the police detonating something an hour or so after the initial blasts.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
Why? Why cant I point out the real truth here? If two teenagers wrapped a V6 Mustang around a tree and got themselves killed it wouldn't get this attention, if two 10 year olds in the cancer ward passed on the same day it wouldn't even make the news. But a couple bombs go off with similar results and we cant help but be enamored by it.

I generally wouldn't care about people's reaction to this, but I think it carries a price to immerse yourself so much in these stories. We get scared and we want something to be done to make us feel more secure. So because the first two Americans to be killed by a bomb in this country since I-dont-even-know-its-been-so-long an entire city is on lockdown and people have found a whole new reason to be scared to live their lives.

That's really all I wanted to say, I think someone should say it.

I've seen the light now. I will stop following this story. #BackToKimKardashianBabybumpArticles

QUOTE (Tex @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
The usual, we will find who did this and hold them responsible, thanked the responders, pointed out today is Patriot Day. We'll pull together, etc. We'll keep you informed.

Yeah, nothing earth-shattering, no hints at all about who did this.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
Why? Why cant I point out the real truth here? If two teenagers wrapped a V6 Mustang around a tree and got themselves killed it wouldn't get this attention, if two 10 year olds in the cancer ward passed on the same day it wouldn't even make the news. But a couple bombs go off with similar results and we cant help but be enamored by it.

I generally wouldn't care about people's reaction to this, but I think it carries a price to immerse yourself so much in these stories. We get scared and we want something to be done to make us feel more secure. So because the first two Americans to be killed by a bomb in this country since I-dont-even-know-its-been-so-long an entire city is on lockdown and people have found a whole new reason to be scared to live their lives.

That's really all I wanted to say, I think someone should say it.

you're not as great as you think you are.

‏@NBCNews

Officials say that Boston PD are "guarding" a wounded man at a Boston hospital as a "possible suspect" - @JimMiklaszewski

Mike Levine ‏@MikeLevineFNC 1h

Source: Authorities guarding a "person of interest" at #Boston hospital. Person is severely injured.

(FoxNews producer)

if no one's posted:

Boston. f***ing horrible.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

- Patton Oswalt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
Can we resist the urge to turn this into an agenda thread? There are plenty of other places that can be done.

He has to turn every thread into one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)
I am in awe of people who run directly towards the blast as their first instinct.

Those people are amazing. Just absolutely amazing.