Explosions outside of Waco, Texas

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 01:52 AM)
This stuff isn't fair. But why were there houses and a nursing home and school so close to a Fertilizer Plant? It obviously wasn't safe. I thought there was some sort of ordinance with that kind of stuff?

Those kinds of things are all grandfathered in. Even if the law was passed, it doesn't change what was already there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:16 AM)
Those kinds of things are all grandfathered in. Even if the law was passed, it doesn't change what was already there.

I know Texas tends to have lax zoning laws, but building fertilizer factories in neighborhoods (or vice versa) is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:31 AM)
I know Texas tends to have lax zoning laws, but building fertilizer factories in neighborhoods (or vice versa) is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of.

Most of Texas has no zoning laws. I'm speaking more for places that have real zoning laws even. If you pass a zoning ordinance, you can't make existing structures go back and change to fit the new law. They get grandfathered in until they make some material change to either the existing structure, or to their zoning.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
Most of Texas has no zoning laws. I'm speaking more for places that have real zoning laws even. If you pass a zoning ordinance, you can't make existing structures go back and change to fit the new law. They get grandfathered in until they make some material change to either the existing structure, or to their zoning.

but... but... government regulation is bad!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)

This is a good argument against that sort of stupidity then. Or do Texans not remember what the OKC bomb was?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
but... but... government regulation is bad!

The idea is to prevent abuses of power by the government. Without that sort of protection, you could have a local government literally legislate your house out of existence, with nothing you could do about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)
The idea is to prevent abuses of power by the government. Without that sort of protection, you could have a local government literally legislate your house out of existence, with nothing you could do about it.

nah man i get it. but what about regulating where you can and can't build a plant?

which was there first?

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:56 AM)
nah man i get it. but what about regulating where you can and can't build a plant?

which was there first?

No idea honestly. In Texas, it probably doesn't matter. Most towns literally have no zoning ordinances in that state. I'm guessing that the plant was there first, because a neighborhood would have a fit the other way around.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
No idea honestly. In Texas, it probably doesn't matter. Most towns literally have no zoning ordinances in that state. I'm guessing that the plant was there first, because a neighborhood would have a fit the other way around.

right and THAT'S my point. whichever was there first, regulations should be in place to keep this exact thing from happening. it's common sense. however, in texas... it ain't so common.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
right and THAT'S my point. whichever was there first, regulations should be in place to keep this exact thing from happening. it's common sense. however, in texas... it ain't so common.

It isn't as common as you would think. Neighborhoods spring up around dangerous places all of the time. Many times it happened before ordinances went on to the books, or there just aren't rules against it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
It isn't as common as you would think. Neighborhoods spring up around dangerous places all of the time. Many times it happened before ordinances went on to the books, or there just aren't rules against it.

Developers aren't going to care as long as they can sell the homes. One way to do it would be to have people warned if their home is within distance x of a potentially hazardous site, but that can be a joke anyway.

In California, you're supposed to be warned upon the purchase of a home if it's a few hundred yards from a fault line, but there's a place I really like on state route 14 where there is a steep slope with a bunch of houses on it, a mansion across the higway that I always guessed was over a million dollar home, a few hundred yards...and then you cross the San Andreas Fault. You couldn't pay me to live there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 09:18 AM)
Developers aren't going to care as long as they can sell the homes. One way to do it would be to have people warned if their home is within distance x of a potentially hazardous site, but that can be a joke anyway.

In California, you're supposed to be warned upon the purchase of a home if it's a few hundred yards from a fault line, but there's a place I really like on state route 14 where there is a steep slope with a bunch of houses on it, a mansion across the higway that I always guessed was over a million dollar home, a few hundred yards...and then you cross the San Andreas Fault. You couldn't pay me to live there.

People run a similar risk living right on a river too. Hell, there are literally all sorts of places people could live that are just as dangerous, if not moreso, than living next to this plant.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
People run a similar risk living right on a river too. Hell, there are literally all sorts of places people could live that are just as dangerous, if not moreso, than living next to this plant.

Don't a lot of places have similar rules for flood-prone areas, where at least the developer is supposed to tell the homeowner that they're at a flood risk or that they should look into the federal flood insurance program?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)

I dunno, not many places are literally bombs waiting to explode if a small fire breaks out. Look at that video posted on the first page, those people are probably a good half mile away if not more and they were still rocked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
Don't a lot of places have similar rules for flood-prone areas, where at least the developer is supposed to tell the homeowner that they're at a flood risk or that they should look into the federal flood insurance program?

I imagine so, or that it's at least widely assumed. But living in a high risk area like that, it becomes a lot more difficult and a lot more expensive to buy flood insurance as well. Think of a life insurance company insuring a smoking alcoholic.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 09:32 AM)
I dunno, not many places are literally bombs waiting to explode if a small fire breaks out. Look at that video posted on the first page, those people are probably a good half mile away if not more and they were still rocked.

I'm not going to vouch for them and say it was a smart idea, but they obviously never anticipated this even in their wildest dreams. Suffice to say, there will be increased regulations on factories, especially on those that can, uhh, you know, explode.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 10:39 AM)
Suffice to say, there will be increased regulations on factories, especially on those that can, uhh, you know, explode.

More regulation as a response to an event in Texas? This isn't exactly the first factory explosion in Texas. And somehow I don't see the Congress increasing the budget for OHSA on-site inspections any time soon.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 18, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
I'm not going to vouch for them and say it was a smart idea, but they obviously never anticipated this even in their wildest dreams. Suffice to say, there will be increased regulations on factories, especially on those that can, uhh, you know, explode.

People use fertilizer to make bombs. That's what was used in teh first WTC attack and at OKC. The idea that an ammonium nitrate plant can violently explode isn't new. Hell, it's happened before in Texas.