Sox have good young pitching, not much else

VAfan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There used to be serious dialogue on Sox Talk.

Let's just say I'm more disappointed in the response to this post than I am in the performance of the White Sox in 2013. Out of 79 replies, I counted about 5 that had anything substantive to say. It's pretty sad.

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 9, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)

Let's just say I'm more disappointed in the response to this post than I am in the performance of the White Sox in 2013. Out of 79 replies, I counted about 5 that had anything substantive to say. It's pretty sad.

People all around the world just don't have the attention span they used to. Along with your observation, there's currently a thread (2013 Films) where a number of posters either admit to not reading the classics of literature (using Spark or Cliffs Note) or just downright being bored to death by them.

Some people just want to feel better about themselves (how that's possible, I have no idea) by insulting others or initiating confrontations on a message board.

I'm sure you put a lot of time and thought into your post/s.

There are no easy answers. It has reached the point where a lot of "good" White Sox fans are secretly hoping (maybe not rooting actively against them, though) that the team goes completely in the tank so the rebuilding process and decision to go that route becomes 100% clear.

We went through these situations before (2007, keeping Buehrle/Konerko/Dye), then again in 2009 (we actually added Peavy and Rios, to no avail), then 2010....before the team went on that incredible 26-5 run to get back into 1st place, then 2011, with Ozzie's departure and the fight for control with KW the main theme.

Well, here we are again.

It is frustrating to see guys like Humber, Floyd, Jenks, Crede, Garland, Jackson, Santos (the list goes on and on) all leave the organization and getting nothing back in return.

We all know the trades that have drained our talent base, and we all know the story of Wilder/DR and our drafting/development history.

I wish I knew the answer. The only thing that makes seasons like this bearable is knowing we have at least the pitching pieces in place to be competitive again fairly quickly if we can just 1) get a better ROI when we make trades or dump salaries, and 2) any contributions from the minors outside of relief pitchers and utility players.

But keep posting. There's still that "silent majority" who reads carefully and wants to engage in serious discussion/debate about the direction of this organization.

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 9, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)

I thought your post was fine, likely would have responded to it until the thread got derailed by a reply that was hard to ignore. As such, most people replied to that post for being ridiculous in "response" to yours.

That's on one person.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 10, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
And now the thread is complete

Not without a description of size, shape, and color!

Seriously though, the original post, while well thought out, is mostly what we've all been discussing here for the last several months, and some of it has been a topic for a good year or more. We're trying to develop a new core, trying to get out of some big guaranteed money, trying to (hopefully) stay somewhat positive. I think we're pretty good, especially because we have a history of NOT relying on prospects and actually trying to win. If we have pitching then we have a foundation, and we have pitching so we have that foundation.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 10, 2013 -> 12:06 AM)
I kinda hate how we rarely trade anybody before their deal is up. But that's also a direct result of always being in the division race in July. I understand the thinking of the FO in that regard.

Yeah, I wasn't happy at all about the offseason & wanted the 1-year left guys all gone sans Paulie, but that didn't happen, whatever. We should have, but OTOH the FO believed in the team & with a better start we'd be pretty happy right now. And if we'd dealt Floyd, Crain, Thornton, etc. before the season then we don't even have a shot at a better start.

Anyway, the one thing that makes me confident is that we have a history of finding bargains that turn out pretty well. And because of that I'm not fearing a s*** season, because if it does go that way then we'll at least get a look at some piece which we don't currently have but will inevitably play a role on the 2014 Sox team and that will give us more hope. The one thing I just don't want to see is a mediocre up-and-down club that the FO hangs onto without holding a sale, but I don't think that will happen this year. Hahn's probably regretting keeping Floyd and maybe that motivates him to make a move sooner than otherwise. At least I hope.

Maybe if Floyd was traded, the wouldn't have been able to pass all the MRI's and opposing teams' doctors examinations, anyway?

We already have the Sirotka and Santos situations on record, and the pain he experienced last year was in a similar location, it would have looked mightly suspicious had the guy we dumped in the offseason after being healthy pretty much his entire career until 2012 suddenly gone down after less than a month.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 10, 2013 -> 07:52 AM)
And now the thread is complete

I haven't posted all year. You move to paradise and believe it or not - things get real busy.

Seriously thou... if ever a classic "poop" reply was necessary... this thread calls for it.

poop.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ May 10, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
Outside of pitching I don't think this organization has a decent ability to scout, draft and develop players. New ownership is what is needed.

This guy has all the f***ing answers. Fire Reinsdorf!